Higurashi series, which relase should I play

I wanted to get into the whole Higurashi visual novel thingy for quite some time so I finally decided to give it a try. Gathered some food supplies and decided that I'd play trough all of it regardless of how long it might take. As I prefer to play games on linux since I am bound to use that trough my work I decided to go with the steam version V down there as it would run out of the box

store.steampowered.com/app/310360/Higurashi_When_They_Cry_Hou__Ch1_Onikakushi/?curator_clanid=34658240&curator_listid=45152

my friend mentioned something about the graphics looking to modern but I didn't mind, after finishing chaper 1 I talked to said friend again who appeared to have played the game on her mobile phone who told me that my death was most likely due to making the wrong choices in the game ... thing is I never got to make any choices which seems weird. So it appears that I must have played the wrong release of the game since the graphics look different and the gameplay wasn't as interactive.

So basically my qustion is if anyone can provide me with a source on where to find the original or best received release I should play to get the most out of the series. I figured I should ask here since someone might be able to give a a hint on what I should play optimally.

(sidenode: I would prefer using steam or something which would allow me to play it on linux though if the version that I should be playing optimally isn't compatible straight out of the box I wont mind playing it on windows its just more bothersome having to reboot constantly or configuring my vm's with audio passtrough)

Attached: hoe.png (535x476, 313.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

07th-mod.com/home/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there are no choices, the steam release is fine
there's a console version that added choices but they're not part of the original and not necessary for the story, and really doesn't add anything of value
on the steam release you can change the sprites to the original or the new ones

Attached: 1547404483157.jpg (600x600, 115.95K)

>Cringe pedophile game
Dumped

Attached: 1644779068608.gif (500x281, 2.17M)

there have not been any pedo scenes so far. The only lewd scene was borrowing that swim suit form Mion but she is far from a loli

Attached: mion.png (274x480, 163.9K)

?

Attached: Untitled.png (372x192, 15.6K)

Patch the game with 07th mod and you can switch between all three sprite styles and backgrounds at will, it's worth it alone to restore the songs removed and replaced by the most recent steam/gog update

The PC release is unmistakably the worst because the artstyle is just dog-ass. But they're all serviceable. I'd personally mod the original sprites in if I were you Like the other person said I'd do the R07 mod even if it's kind of a pain in the ass.

Wait for the golden smurf sprites
Is like ryukishi made them but he know how to draw

Attached: FL0Hl1vXoAENGZP.jpg (2048x1152, 567.79K)

Also if by finishing chapter 1 you meant finishing Onikakushi, Keichii always dies there. The rest of the chapters explore alternate possibilities of the story's path, until you have a cohesive understanding of what's really happening. You can probably guess what's responsible for everything by watanagashi-hen if you think hard enough, but you won't understand why until it's over.

uh she does look that old though. Plus that is not pedophilia anymore since pedophilia refers to prepub girls/boys (she has clearly defined secondary sex characteristics as boobs/hips)

wait wdym?

ok I will try that thanks for the insight. Also I found out that the original sprites seem to be delivered with the steam realease as well they are just disabled by default. When I enable them it seems to look like pic related

Attached: sprite.png (640x501, 432.95K)

Ok pedophile, go to a middle school and try this.

So much rimlight, they look plasticky.

lol I can't imagine playing this in french.
>bof bof bof
>le teddy est adorable
>je suis desole, ce nest pas mon faux ahgehgehg pardon pardon

play the steam version with the mod that changes the sprites to the ps2/switch version unless you want to play with the original sprites

i remember seeing this guy start that project 3 years ago, i wonder what made him decide to come back and try again. he also created some really nice 3D models, though i dunno if he actually did anything with them

Attached: 1542194188206.jpg (858x1588, 504.2K)

steam/mangagamer release with this mod 07th-mod.com/home/
or the anime, it's one of the best adaptations ever made
take in mind to watch the 2007 anime and not the new one, higurashi 2021 is a sequel

Go original sprites or go home

I already fetched this one long time ago but I never got to watch it since I wanted to play the game first

Attached: snatched.png (955x880, 386.41K)

the anime is very good, a childhood classic for me with D. Gray Man
of course source is always better, but the anime is really failthful and it will take you less time to watch than to read the monument that is the VN

Attached: Higurashi-no-Naku-Koro-Ni-When-They-Cry-Watch-Order-Guide.jpg (1200x630, 149.76K)

unrelated to the thread but I just found out that with the steam version if you happen to set it to fullscreen mode in the Prefs it can detect a weird resolution and and the window is way to big to fit on your screen so you can only see 1/4 of it which makes you unable to set the resolution back to the default. Deleting the game and reinstalling it wont help, removing the shit in .local/share wont help either what I had to do is locate the following config file and replace the 1 with 0 to get it back to the original display mode

Attached: fix.png (957x499, 53.23K)