Why does Rain World seem so immersive? why is it so gorgeous? And why people do love it (91% positive rieview on steam)...

why does Rain World seem so immersive? why is it so gorgeous? And why people do love it (91% positive rieview on steam), but critics hate it (64 on metacritic)?

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 34.07K)

>why people do love it
They don't, indie games on Steam are generally overrated and this is exacerbated by by the binary rating system. It has mediocre user reviews on websites with a more informed and neutral user base like HowLongToBeat, Metacritic and even Google reviews.
Besides, the achievement statistics reveal a fantastically low rate of people who play the game beyond the first 2 or 3 hours, which is mirrored by the usual torrent of people leaving a positive review after playing for 3 hours and disliking it, then never touching it again.

why are you obsessed with this game and write like some ign journalist trying to shill some random ass game?

I really love this game. It was amazing going into it blind. I'll never forget the entirety of Five Pebbles or the ending. I wish more people could see what I saw in it, but most drop it in the first area.

Why don't you fuck it then

I recently played Deaths Door for a few hours. Really short game, and mostly okay, but it had some great sections. The ending two boss fights were superb. All the bosses were great, but very dragged out. Should've introduced new mechanics if they wanted to make them so tanky.

on metacritic user score is 8.6
on gog is 4.3/5
on how long to beat is 71%

So now that i prove, that also on neutral site, public loves this game you can go fuck yourself

Cannot wait for the fat slugcat expansion lads.

Same, I felt Death's Door could have been longer if a bit more depth was added to the fighting system. But it was still very good for the time it lasted.

Cause journos don't play games.

>but critics hate it (64 on metacritic)?
Because they're fucking casual.

Rain World is an incredible game, but one that requires time and patience to fully appreciate. And I don't mean in the sort of way "it gets enjoyable after x hours". It's entirely dependant on the individual and their ability to grasp the mechanics and understand how the game works. I think that's what makes it feel so immersive, because the game will play differently in some way for every person and therefore feel like a more personalised experience.

It's immersive because there's very little to remind you that you're playing a video game, even the enemies are designed as animals first and enemies second. Critics hated it because they reviewed the original release version, which had a lot more design issues, the biggest being map exploration data wasn't saved if you died. If that one issue didn't get changed then I probably wouldn't like Rain World either.

I really liked this game, but it just felt so bare-bones.
Just go to this end of the map to get the thingy and then go to the other end to end the game. There's no reward in anything else. You don't even have to visit Moon

You guys have serious problems it's ridiculous and sad, you just can't enjoy games and don't want other to enjoy them and made me not want to try this game ever

>most threads filled with passionate players
>people keep saying the game is great
>"makes me not want to play it"
what

Attached: 1584740124306.gif (1130x704, 1.13M)

Attached: DFE43EFC-BF32-43CD-B495-F4C7796534DC.jpg (1920x1080, 171.73K)

>why does Rain World seem so immersive?
Most people are impressed by the visuals and AI, which are amazing, but I personally find the movement to be extremely interesting.
>why is it so gorgeous?
Because some people made a few hundred sprites and then cleverly put them together. It's actually not that difficult to build a good level in Rain World, since the level editor is pretty decent (outside of it crashing if you click the wrong button), but it's ridicilously time consuming.
>And why people do love it (91% positive rieview on steam), but critics hate it (64 on metacritic)?
As said, it's a tough game that will require you to learn. Personally, it took me 3 playthroughs to actually start enjoying the game, I was raging in the first one and was kinda neutral in the second.
It should also be noted that most critics on metacritic played the 1.0 release, which is a lot harder. I haven't tried it, but, from what I've heard, I don't think I would have gotten into the game either if I played that first.
Doesn't look like you played the game user
True, the sight at the top of the wall was kino. If you want to experience something similar, look into mods and play the Mast.
Same user, it's gonna be amazing
That is a very good reason why it's immersive and it's also why people are a bit spooked that MSC has been said to add QoL features, such as map completion. Hopefully they don't make the game video gamey.
If you view it like that, yes, there is pretty much nothing to do that is forced by the game. However, there is a lot you can do, from killing or befriending creatures, exploring the map or practicing and using the movement. It's a game where the journey and the struggle to explore is what makes it interesting. If you look up the best route and don't find any creature or platforming challenge to be even remotely challenging then yeah, it won't be that interesting.

It's immersive because the tropes and systems that exist across other 2d platformers and the rest of the gaming landscape are made much less intrusive and bullshit to deal with
The flow of the game isn't disrupted by having to scroll and flip through a bunch of menus to assess your surroundings, your progression, or your gear
Your inventory is your 2 hands and stomach, readily visible at any moment of the game
Your map is built into slugcat closing their eyes and recalling it from its memory
Special items or powerups are all usable by hand, and they are all temporary, unless you wish to carry them with you
There are no shopkeepers or loot chests, stuff is just laying around, and you can deal with scavengers to get extra equipment
ALL of this is just masterfully built into the gameplay flow
also the soundtrack is semi-diegetic, and all of the enemies behave like a complex ecosystem, instead of just being purposefully put into certain places to stand guard or some shit
In that regard, it's one of the best designed games to ever come out

Attached: Juxtaposition.jpg (1920x1080, 471.39K)

Instead of enjoying like slick dudes you enjoy like fags.

by gatekeeping anons you think won't be able to enjoy your favorite game is a behavior that I did not expect from a community of games like this

>The flow of the game isn't disrupted
I think a lot of malaise about games (esp. modern ones) is this thing precisely.

I love game, hate ending

It's the reason games like Meat Boy were so beloved because there's just almost no downtime.