Why didn't sidescrolling MMOs ever become more popular...

Why didn't sidescrolling MMOs ever become more popular? Maplestory was huge back in its heyday and was legitimately one of the most popular MMOs to play across the world.

I know we've had stuff like Wonderking, Latale, Elsword and others, but none of them had large budgets. You'd think with Maplestory's popularity, there would be at least one big studio having a crack at a top quality sidescrolling MMO, but to this day, we're still seeing an endless supply of WoW clones.

Attached: 1588970150212.jpg (800x600, 295.09K)

Bros, why can't we go back?

Amogus fills the niche well enough for most people although it's more top-down. Not p2w either.

you know people get bullied for having default fortnite skins? take me back

i was climbing ludi tower on royals today and was thinking
>people nowadays would never accept an MMO where you can be punished while traveling
like how a bird can knock you all the way down to the bottom of the map and you have to start again trying to hop from lego block to lego block while avoiding mobs.

it really felt like a shitty side scrolling platformer while i was playing an MMO and i think that specific combination can be built into a great game (other than maplestory)

Attached: 534623.png (216x103, 9.45K)

lvl15-20 equipment has so much soul im going to ascend into another realm. loved running around as a street thief and a mage in those comfy ass looking robes with a fat emerald globe

The jump quests in particular were satisfying to complete. By the time you actually finished them you were good enough at them to be able to complete them again first try.

I never got that into this game since I played it much later just to see what the fuss was about (like 2010 maybe? can't remember) but I did a large majority of the content. It was pretty good overall and justified in having such a large player base with such shitty P2W shit.

Terraria is Maplestory but good

Attached: comfy.png (137x110, 37.12K)

There were a bunch of clones that all sucked ass, then wow happened

Good to see you're too stupid to read the OP properly.

I still have the Ludibrium PQ stages burned into my fucking brain

Thanks, glad to see you're too stupid to read my post properly

I read it, and all it shows is that you didn't read the OP, idiot.

Ludibrium > El Nath = Orbis > Henesys > Ellinia Kerning > Perion

Moron.

Same reason why Maple Story itself died
Focus on end game fags which killed low level balance and any sense of community

>get on the ship to Ossyria
>it starts moving
>go outside after a while to hang out on the deck
>get instantly killed by a balrog
Those were the days

what the FUCK was his problem?

Attached: maplestory5_475x350.jpg (475x350, 45.35K)

>spend money on this
>get btfo in sleepywood
>die like 80 times trying to get back home
soul

>Same reason why Maple Story itself died
>Focus on end game fags which killed low level balance and any sense of community
Are you a complete moron? What does being a sidescroller have to do with Nexon focusing on endgame content?

>Hey lets make a [sidescroller] mmo
>Let's focus on everything except making a community focused game with great low level content
>???
>dead
Every single time

Same reason every big game is in 3D now instead of 2D.

nta but sidescroller mmos were always supposed to be comfy and stress-free. cosmetics were great because you'd essentially decorate your character and hang out with e-friends. Endgame focus just turns the game into chuuni shit. You end up with a bunch of afk max level tards wearing best in slot and missable cosmetics standing around in town to assert dominance.

get dabbed on

>got married in Maplestory
>still not married in real life

The question in the OP was why didn't other big companies try making a sidescrolling MMO.
To suggest it's because of Nexon focusing on endgame content for Maplestory specifically tells me you're a complete fucking moron and likely mentally deficient.