Gaming laptops get a lot of hate around here, why is that...

Gaming laptops get a lot of hate around here, why is that? They're perfect for someone who travels a lot or wants to play games at someone else's house

Attached: cfaulkner_20210608_4624_0013.0.jpg (1200x675, 135.73K)

I don't know. I use a laptop because I move around a lot and even if I didn't I like moving from my desk to my couch.

People who build desktop PCs like to circlejerk and pretend their imagined elitism makes laptops inferior in every conceivable way. Its cope for being socially retarded and having no friends to go hang out and play games with irl.

They are noisy and get veryy hot that's why I hate them

People can't do math and don't know a desktop will eat a gaming laptop ever 5y in electrical cost.

>hate
It’s not hate, but a suggestion, you should not buy a laptop unless you really need it, mobile chips are limited.

yeah I can't imagine lugging a full pc up and down stairs

What if I told you I found one with a 2080 for 1k

>People can't do math and don't know a desktop will eat a gaming laptop ever 5y in electrical cost
explain?

Fuck your chips faggot I'm going to buy as many as possible now

not an argument.

Mine has a 2070 and I paid 1100. Not that bad.

Well electricity went up a lot it's actually 70 cent's per kW at peek h.
So most laptops max out at 300w and gaming desktops at 650w.
Even on idle desktops are twice as inefficient.
I'm not gonna do the math again but it's 150~250$/y the difference depending on how much you game.
So you can basically buy a new laptop every 5y with the electric bill.
You loose about 30% performance for 2x the current.

Oh no what will Leonardo Dicaprio think about me?!!!

They're OK. The GPU isn't as fast as desktop variant due to thermal and power constraints.

The worst part is the fans get clogged easily so they have to be cleaned regularly.

I'm upgrading to a desktop soon since I don't visit friends anymore.

What?

I've had a few over the years and they've certainly gotten better but man do they have so many issues.
>weird DPI scaling
>batteries expanding
>overheating
>loud as shit fans
>obnoxious designs (is it that hard to make a plain looking laptop?)
>incredibly bulky. thin sleek models are just a fire hazard (trust me)
>integrated graphics fuck with the gpu and do weird shit when you try to disable it
>3-5 year life span

I don't care about muh climate change, I just want to save money

They're loud and noisy and if it's one that'd try to match a pc it really isn't portable. You don't really want it on your lap it gets super hot.

I set my pc up to a TV so I can switch to chair/couch and I have my keyboard/mouse on a rolling dinner table

I mean everyone can do their own thing but gaming laptops are super pricey for a slight increase in convenience

I have a cheap laptop from 2014 with a 970m and I'm playing ps3 games on it now.

>loud
okay use noise cancelling headphones or play less intensive games, new aaa's aren't worth playing anyway

Brainlet here. Will a laptop hdd wear down quicker if moved often while on? (not accounting accidentally bumping into stuff or dropping the laptop)

> 70 cent's per kWh
Lol, shows how you don't pay for your own electricity, it's more like 10-15 cents per hour

Just use any ssd and the "problem" goes away completely.

No, laptop HDDs are designed with those circumstances in mind
Granted, you really shouldn’t use them because they honestly suck compared to SSDs

I really don't need anything better than 1080/60 on 7th gen games and older. Anything more modern, I'll take a resolution hit and won't care OR just get it on PS4 since everything is still getting ported to last-gen for the next couple years.

a gaming laptop isnt worth the money if youre not going to play AAAs on it. just use a $200 thinkpad for your 15 year old games

Because they usually cost 1.5x or more the cost of a regular custom-built gaming desktop pc, overheat like crazy, has limited battery life unless plugged in, and can't be upgraded.

It just isn't the most practical / cost effective approach to pc gaming, and it rubs a lot of more money-conscious / practical people the wrong way. You're paying upwards to $3,000+ for something that will be obsolete within a couple years if it doesn't burn itself out first.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of gaming laptops either, but to each their own.

It's not your providers are lying to you that's the average and that's including nights when nobody does nothing.
I've look into it and your electric cost changes every month it's like the stock market.
And peek will hit 70 and it will hit 1.2$ by next year they want to go green and that will push it to 2$/kw.
You are all out of touch and don't really know how the scam works and I don't care enough.
When this crap becomes like gas don't say I didn't tell you.

>Well electricity went up a lot it's actually 70 cent's per kW
Bruh what nightmare world do you live in where this is even close to true?

As somebody who uses a ThinkPad, you're going to end up with a performance hit on stuff older than that unless it's well-optimized. Some faster-paced 3D indie games will lose framerate on me as well. When I get a better laptop I'm probably going a little higher end, but definitely not a full-blown gamer laptop.