Why did VR fail?

I remember people claiming it to be the next big thing.
Is it the lack of good games? Too expensive? Too gimmicky?

Attached: vr in train.jpg (2040x2880, 1.26M)

>Is it the lack of good games? Too expensive? Too gimmicky?
yes on all 3

Zero marketshare means no games. No games means zero marketshare.

Pretty simple. It's also uncomfortable to use, and none of the games offer a significant improvement to justify the use of VR.

The only people who do are mentally ill trannies who play VRchat so they can act out sex scenes.

VR has been a meme since the 1990's OP. Maybe they'll finally get it right in the 2030's.

>guys just wait for FOVeated rendering to solve everything - VRcucks 3 years ago
Nothing has fundamentally changed in years and hardware is more expensive than ever!

did it fail?

everyone i know has a VR headset since christmas

i play pavlov and dirt rally 2 practically every day

i dont think ill ever willingly go back to playing most games in 2D

Attached: c57c5045-e707-4071-89b1-7ea24f1b2b18.jpg (1280x1280, 193.82K)

sex with little girls

I bet you use discord.

sweet another schizo thread
will we see something new posted itt?
doubt it lol, same fuckin thread for like three years straight

Because people are retards and always fall for fancy gimmicks. VR was the best thing to happen to flight, space and driving sims but if anyone ever expected it to take off for regular games is not very smart

Attached: 1617217123285.jpg (720x590, 38.97K)

There is no definitive VR experience. Everything you can do in VR you can do elsewhere but with a different control scheme.

The Valve Index is nearly three (3) years old now.

>Everything you can do in VR you can do elsewhere

Attached: 1639407621212.webm (500x496, 2.93M)

Yeah I can play anime titty games without VR.

>tits can hang below the knees
do devs not know how retarded that shit looks

I feel like a lot of the games could benefit from being able to be played without the headset. The controllers are so damn good and fun to use but god damn wearing a headset makes me feel like shit after

Maybe if you've got some fancy cockpit setups with everything secured down that you can move into. It's even a little better than a monitor, as long as you don't mind the 480p tier picture quality (please don't try and pretend your headset is 4k because it has 2 2k screens in it or something, I'm really sick of arguing this shit with retards who can't do basic FOV calculations).

Personally, I don't have the space for a second chair with my HOTAS and pedals hooked up 24/7, or the space for a racing seat and attached wheel. Setting up sims is already a hassle, doing it in VR is like willingly kicking yourself in the nuts. I'd legitimately rather die than try and get controls configured and then hope nothing randomly breaks when I try to do it again in VR.

stop glowing

it is the next big thing and currently available decent headsets are already pretty much perfect, miles better than what was presented as VR in sci-fi movies from the 80s. the only thing missing is some kind of haptic glove.
I'm having thousands times more fun replaying Skyrim in VR than I had on launch.

Attached: 1640909454670.png (1795x726, 1.24M)

to everyone in this thread who hasn't tried VR, go bug one of your friends who has a quest or an index or something and give it a try

vr has 100% reignited my love for games. i no longer have the urge to play shitty skinnerbox games like overwatch or apex, and now i play VR table tennis, pavlov, gorilla tag, etc.

VR is super cool and if you cannot really understand it until you try it.

so go try it

Attached: IMG_0204.jpg (3264x2448, 1013.14K)

What game is she playing?

Attached: 2021-06-05 14-32-00-1.png (638x901, 736.83K)

Normal screens are good enough for gaming applications
You need valve alyx kinda experiences to make vr worth investing into and theres not a lot of those.
What are you gonna start exercising with beat saber?

>i no longer have the urge to play shitty skinnerbox games like overwatch or apex, and now i play VR table tennis, pavlov, gorilla tag, etc.
>I used to play games for retards and now I play other games for retards

Yes, the FOV is low, the picture quality is worse and so is the performance but I cannot go back to just using a headtracker, for me the difference of feeling of being inside of the cockpit is worth it. And I don't have a simple set up either, I just have an old X52 and a Rift S and had no problems.

>What are you gonna start exercising with beat saber
Yes.
thats what i try to do for at least 1 hour daily

To everyone who thinks VR is something you have to try, it really isn't. I fell for a post like this, maybe it's not something you can imagine, but it is. Moving in VR is cumbersome shit with analog sticks that don't really offer very good control.

Here's something basic, which way should "forward" make you go? If you had a single brain cell, you'd say "the direction my chest is pointing in". This is the only correct way to do movement in VR, because hand oriented movement gets fucked up when you try and reload or aim your guns somewhere, and head oriented gets fucked up when you try and peek around a corner or quickly check an angle.

Guess how many games support chest oriented movement? None of them. Not a single game does. Guess how many VR devices ship with chest trackers? None of them. That's how shit VR is. Basic thoughts like "how should you move in VR" were thrown out in the early days and replaced with teleporting gimmicks, and then hastily added back in later with no thought given.

Nothing in VR is new. It's all very easy to imagine, and none of it adds anything to games. Not the single focal plane, not the eye strain, not the heavy brick strapped to your head or the stuffy foam padding that gets slick with sweat.

a VR headset, yoke, rudder pedals, and a throttle quadrant makes flight simming bonkers

>not the thrill of the fight

Attached: 1625433056304.png (960x537, 408.6K)

I bet this is one of the people that looks at the Alyx mod to take it out of VR and swears its the same experience.