What games would you say define your tastes?

What games would you say define your tastes?

Attached: 1641526385146.png (645x618, 610.89K)

well games that define me is clearly the one which is featured in a twitter screencap thread

diner dash, cooking mama, and Cook, Serve, Delicious! I just have been having so much fun with Cook, Serve, Delicious! in the past few weeks and I can positively say it had an effect on my mood! It's a neat little game that doesn't take a big commitment, and you feel like you get a little more out of each time playing. It keeps me focused and I can even see my strategies develop and spread to other aspects of my life, making me a more productive person in general. Would really recommend this game to anyone really, I would find it really hard not to enjoy it! I might even start a game up right now. One of the things that's totally boss about it is that you can play on a multitude of devices, so even if I need to use the restroom, I can serve up the food while I'm servin down the food if you know what I'm sayin! Check it out you will really like Cook, Serve, Delicious!!! (The game is "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" with one !, try not to get confused when looking for the game, I just added two ! so it looks more exciting!)

Isn't that just the 3x3 threads?

those are your favorites.
what's below wonderful 101?

Alien Soldier

For me it would be
>Resident Evil 4
I highly value tight level design and really satisfying action, as well as a great upgrade system that makes you think in advance, high replayability, and a story that's fun and fast enough to not even make you want to skip on replays. It's my favorite game.
>Super Mario 64
I highly value fun, responsive, and deep movement systems (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 could also fit here but SM64 came first)
>Hotline Miami
I highly value simple but satisfying action, and the chain-based ranking system that encourages non-stop action, as well as the quick restart
>Fuck it, also Alien Soldier
Previously I would put The Mysterious Murasame Castle here, which is great for its simplicity in getting basic things very right, like the 1-frame sword that can deflect projectiles, and the sound of the game is amazing
But now I think it's Alien Soldier, because I think its design is really top notch. It's a non-stop 30-40 minute long gauntlet that gets your blood pumping. It's fast but methodical at the same time. Its replayability is unsurpassed, and it's made me think that certain modern things we take as "necessities" such as world maps, could actually improve the game if they were taken out. Imagine Hotline Miami or Cuphead but as a non-stop game with no breaks or saves. There is really something special about Alien Soldier's structure. Other arcade games are similar but I think the action in Alien Soldier is unsurpassed, you get so many options like the dash and the counter force that allow you to deal with bosses in so many ways. The process of finally coming up with reliable strategies for troublesome bosses is extremely satisfying.

How are your favorites not the games that define you?

Attached: 1623228837791.jpg (232x227, 21.15K)

For me, I think about Hotline Miami a lot in relation to other games and really admire all of its systems and gameplay, but I wouldn't put it in my 3x3. I think the story gets in the way of it a bit, there's not that many levels and the levels are very short, there's that bullshit hospital level and a couple boss fights that suck. Again I think HM would benefit from Alien Soldier's structure where you're encouraged to replay the whole game again instead of just the individual levels, which get shorter and shorter as you get better. Maybe as a separate mode with a time/score leaderboard, and without the house/pizza place sections
HM2 addresses this a bit but has problems of its own
But maybe HM deserves a spot on the 3x3 even with its flaws

THPS3,God Hand, Super Mario Sunshine. Games that are focused on perfecting their mechanics, so there's a ton of hidden depth. Add We Love Katamari for the 4th game because why not

WEGs

>Shadow of the Colossus
Got me to appreciate small-scope games with a tight, well-defined identity
>Okami
Got me to appreciate stylized graphics and also Zeldalikes
>Final Fantasy XII
Got me to appreciate worldbuilding and political plots. And also programming.
>Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Tiddies.

what's his top right? i don't know it

Wow this guy really does have shit taste. No wonder reddit loves him so much.

Rain World

thanks user

Contra hard corps, splatterhouse 3, metal gear rising, fear 1 and ac unity

lmao this dude is a colossal faggot and the only good thing on there is W101
yes that means RE4 sucks, it's action shootan which is the polar opposite of what resident evil is supposed to be

This is controversial but, although on a technical and gameplay level I prefer MGS3, the theming and story of MGS2 make it one of the most defining games in my favored library. I never get why people hate on it.

Lisa the painful. vampire the masquerade, donkey kong country, sly cooper 2

>yes that means RE4 sucks, it's action shootan which is the polar opposite of what resident evil is supposed to be
It literally doesn't matter since it's executed extremely well
You know there's a ton of RE games in the classic style? More than the ones in the RE4 style actually.
I like the whole series. Time to stop being butthurt that RE4 "killed the series" when you can just play any of the classic games whenever you want. And be realistic, that style would never survive into the zoomer age. Tank controls were enough of a filter for the people of the time as is.

MGS2's story aged extremely well, I don't think most people hate it anymore. I've always liked Raiden.
For me though, MGS3 has vastly superior gameplay and I actually think the story hits harder too. Its themes are a bit simpler but it's still an emotional gut punch at the end. 2 made you think, 3 made you feel.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Ace Attorney. Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus. GZDoom.
There are probably games I'd like even more (like TWEWY and Ghost Trick), but they wouldn't define me as much or reflect my general tastes or my past.
Otherwise I'd also include TWEWY, Rayman 2, or MGS1.

Just four? That's tough.
>Crusader Kings 2
>Xenogears
>Prey (2017)
>Grim Fandango
Maybe?

suppose a game had a big spiritual impact on you but you wouldn't wanna play it again and it was tedious to beat.
that can be a defining but not favorite situation.

for me this would be nier automata but i wouldn't say it defines me because the whole reason i liked it is because it reminded me of evangelion

how do you become an e-celeb with this fucking normie taste? Aren't these threads banned by the way?

W101 and Rain World filtered millions, I wouldn't call them normie

I think its better to put it as certain things in the game that define your expectation/hopes for others games. For me Lisa was great in using its gameplay to help tell the story, vampire the masquerade made talking more fun than the actual game and has great atmosphere, dkc has kino atmosphere and ost, and sly 2 is just all around good and charming. I wouldn't say any of these are my favorite games, but they define quality in my head

Damn no demons or dark souls? That's surprising.

>Aren't these threads banned by the way?
It seems to be getting people actually talking about video games, so it shouldn't be.

>yes that means RE4 sucks
Wow great take contrarian retard.

Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life, Doom, Crash bandicoot, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, STALKER, Demons Souls

all of these games changed the way I looked at gaming (and life in general for things like Deus Ex, STALKER) and influenced my tastes going forward
Duke taught me to aspire to masculinity and to appreciate tongue-in-cheek humour
Half-Life showed me that pacing and structure matter a lot in level design (beyond just "shoot everything that moves)
Doom gave me an appreciation for fast and simple gameplay made complex via mechanics (you could write an essay on how Dooms weapons, enemies, and level design all work together)
Crash Bandicoot made me open up to platformers, and Spyro made me realize that stopping to appreciate a calm environment can be very therapeutic (overworlds combined with Copeland's music are very relaxing)
Tomb Raider taught me patience and lateral thinking for puzzle solving
Demons Souls taught me how to not get upset at dying/failing in games and to treat it as a learning experience (which honestly improved my overall personality a lot, because this is a lesson that can be applied to life in general)

Deus Ex and STALKER just heavily impacted my worldview, especially regarding government and human nature

Even as a child I found the three Spyro games to be oddly beautiful
Like going to the top of the castle in Spyro 2's second homeworld and just listening to the wind

>Demons Souls taught me how to not get upset at dying/failing in games and to treat it as a learning experience
Another great game for this would be Spelunky