Dafuq is the point of Ray tracing?

>tanks my fps
>shit looks the same
>????
Literally what the fuck is this, pls don’t tell me you’re cutting your performance in half so your character can see themselves in the mirror more clearly.

Attached: E00047C6-3E1D-4878-9F74-F92026D88832.png (1920x1080, 1.9M)

It's a graphical improvement with a cool name. So you can add it as one of the bullet points on the box and consumers will be more inclined to consume.

this

Don’t forget it tanks your fps, that’s one of the features

>Literally what the fuck is this
It's real lighting.

>Literally what the fuck is this

allows them to add an extra zero to that $

now fucking pay them

because it can look nice but yeah performance ain't where it needs to be on the 3000 series, I would have thought buying a 3070 would get me 60fps+ in all games but turning raytracing on can dip @1440p fairly often

Attached: screenshot_000003.jpg (2560x1440, 822.62K)

The point is that it replaces the shit that devs have to fake now with an actual realistic representation of how light works, and those fakes are good but often come with limitations that the games/engines/art are designed around.

Yea, the difference is clear

Attached: 1DEEA42D-6F18-4AD2-931A-CF1A4E52097C.png (1080x1080, 1.49M)

I struggled to tell much of a difference in this game, as performance mode looked incredible anyway.

But let me ask you this- is this how it's always gonna be in this generation? You choose either fluid movement with performance or better lighting with ray tracing? Or is it a developer thing where soon games will be made to do both?

Attached: gotg_13_10-11.jpg (2700x2088, 1.07M)

So basically you’re tanking your performance so that you can see your reflection in a puddle

An actual intelligent post on Any Forums Any Forums?! How dare you user! You are supposed to say: "Cope and consoom OP" like the other mindless retards who post here.

The irony is, in most games you can't even see yourself in the mirror anyway. It's just not rendered. See Cyberpunk. RT will be amazing when it gets the TXAA treatment, or in 5+ years when the cards can actually run it. But right now it's still nothing but a meme. 30% less FPS for what essentially amounts to anything between 50% worse or 10% better lighting effects, on average.

no I'm tanking my performance so I can get neat looking visuals in a game where FPS doesn't matter

so long as it's 60fps+ in a story game idgaf

now if it's a FPS game where I want smooth response time, then yes I'll turn everything to low to get 100fps+

Attached: FLqKxf_XwAMVIxA.jpg (3840x2160, 780.4K)

The point is to excuse selling you expensive GPUs. If GPUs were solely focused on rasterization still, every game would be hitting 1080p/240fps without breaking a sweat, and the GPUs would be cheaper.

Attached: FCi9cJzXIAAx8j6.jpg (2048x1149, 468.45K)

It takes a lot of work to make fake lighting look good. RT is an easy way to reduce the workload of artists which we need to do if we want to keep pushing the boundaries of graphics technology in video games.

Attached: FLqESQOXIAIFuPF.jpg (3840x2160, 434.21K)

How did you get 60fps with RT on, PC?

What happened to Nvidia hairworks? It made hair in games look and move realistically.

Surely raytracing tech can do more than just some reflections and shadows.

Damn, RT wins, hands down

PS5 only has RT shadows, not lighting or reflections

That’s all it does?

I regret not turning it to RT when I first got to Knowhere. Walked around taking it all in for like 70 minutes.

Is PS5 capable of doing global illumination and shadow RT? Doesn’t the SeX have better hardware for that or something?

It's more of a proof of concept than anything. Gamers feel like they are playing a superior game because their metallic trash cans and other misc objects in their games are now reflected better. Basically nvidia tricked retards and midwits into paying for developement of research into these technologies. Yes you can runs ray tracing in real time now but with noisy artifacts all over the screen and always something else got to give.l in order to have decent framerates.

>PS5 only has RT shadows, not lighting or reflections
Is this for real

The most extreme case I saw on my PC was Quake 2 RTX.
OpenGL: 1000 fps (because he cap there)
RTX ON (Global Illumination: low): 45 fps

That's more than 90% performance loss.

>Dafuq is the point of Ray tracing?
to get retards to spend more money

Did people really think the next gen consoles can actually raytrace? You retards have any clue how much more the consoles would cost?

It's not. RT is merely higher quality reflections.

The fundamental problem that is holding video game graphics back is proper light simulation, that is simulating lighting produced by every object in a scene.

Reflections in comparison is a irrelevant detail.

No, i don't, Poindexter. I'm but a consoomer, I like to sit down and play a dang game, I don't know the ins and outs of your technobabble.

I wouldn't say that this is running ray tracing in real time. The games are being rendered the same way as always, but now there is a single iteration of raytracing on the scene (for a decent image you need hundreds, sometimes thousands of iterations) that generates an extremely low quality image that is then "fixed" by an algorithm that has been trained through AI.

No, it's the same with dying light 2 on PS5 the RT mode is 1080/30 and only RT shadows, no global illumination or reflections.

I think metro exodus is the only game with gi on ps5.

Reddit. Now.
Go back to preordering your sewage of the month