What game mechanic are you sad never caught on?

What game mechanic are you sad never caught on?

Attached: 159863278s.jpg (738x416, 40.27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gt59UP_MpjU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It never caught on because (((they))) patented it.

The relationship system from Dragon Age 2. It's one of the best (if not the best) in vidya. Why most games default to this ridiculous "Yes, I agree with everything you say, kween. Can I get pussy now?" when somebody else came up with a superior system is beyond me.

What's so good about it?

this
shit was good

Attached: friend-rival-bar.jpg (640x360, 31.42K)

It's patented. They'll sue you if you try to imitate or do anything so similar.

In Two Worlds, you would pick up all the trash gear that mobs drop and combine it all together to make upgraded versions. Also, enemies never responded, so you would genocide the entire world to combine all the gear together into better gear

I don't know if any game does this but I miss a fame/infamy meter AND a karma meter separate, bothin one game.
E. g. all the retarded moral stuff in Fallout 3 could be averted if you could be, aprt from a literal saint or Satan itself, also an antihero (good but infamous) or an affable villain (evil but withood image and publicity)

>responded
I meant respawned

There is an axis for each character: Friend at the top, Rival at the bottom. You get points for each after supporting or criticising a particular character.
A character gets a good bonus with a neat tidbit about him/her for reaching a treshold of either Friend/Rival.
You can essentially create this unique dynamic between the MC and other character when you disagree a lot but still have them playable in the party and said chartacter still comments on stuff, even if they don't like it.
It's a nice change from the standard system because you no longer need to simp for a character to form any meaningful relationship with him or her i.e. the MC can hatefuck Isabela (a pirate/thief whore) after you berate her thieving ways the entire game. She even admits you're right about her and she was dumb for shifting blame for her mistakes.

Probably the most overrated system I've ever seen
I'm glad they patented it so no one else can implement this lazy trash into their games

I wish it got expanded on more and fleshed out. I don't generally agree with everything my companions say but the rivalry system just made more sense. In Origins approval can drop just from mildly disagreeing with a sociopath like Morrigan or telling Wynne she doesn't know everything.

How is it lazy?

Great topic. Let's hope it doesn't devolve into shitposting like 99% of everything else. And then let's hope that the mods don't close it like they do 99% of all the threads that don't devolve into shitposting. There's a few that I can remember off the top of my mind:

1. Chrono Trigger's Dual / Triple combo mechanics.
2. Resident Evil 5 co-op mechanics, like your characters are clearly different, one strong, one light and lithe, which affects how they assist each other in the game. More importantly the duo combo mechanics with melee attacks against strong enemies, and the assists of course. RE5 implementation of this sucked, and still it was really good. Imagine if someone actually did it right?
3. Many old fashioned games allowed alternate means to play. Like 4X games, RPG's etc you could play nonlethally even on highest difficulties, you could talk or charm your way through, or sneak through an entire map. None of those picked up. So now remakes and sequels of Master of Orion, Fallout, and everything else for that matter, are all just splatterfests. There's one way to play and that is to just shoot everything.
4. Fixed loot and no level scaling. We used to have this in the 90's, but modern games fucked it all up. In say Fallout 2, if you went up against super mutants or Enclave with a low level character and crappy gear, you'd be so royally screwed. But once you got your hands on those levels and gear, you were the ultimate badass. Nowadays thanks to scaling, everything is always the same. You can be level 1 or level 100, nothing changes. There's no point to even bothering about levels. It's all just structured for an infinite grind, like an MMO.
5. Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross style NG+. It was brief and not that complex, but the idea was that what if, in your NG+, you were actually so insanely strong, and knew what you were doing, that you could defeat fights that you could not the first time out? How would everything change?

on the same note as I'd say the affinity system from XBC1, and more specifically, the combat aspect. It's not as comple but having your party shouting personalized lines and continuously&dynamicly commenting on the combat status was a great spin of the usual JRPG systems which honestly started to feel archaic and boring.
But I must say, the great VA surely help made this bareable and I don't know if I could stomach such a feature with terrible voice acting.

Attached: Xenoblade.Chronicles.full.845451.jpg (700x1280, 119.03K)

It's just procedurally generated enemies

speaking of chrono trigger can you win that fight later at game against lavos where chrono is supposed to die? i never tested it

One of the only good parts of DA2 I agree.

that's one way to reduce it, but it's more than that

I also liked how closed and grounded the story was in comparison to your regular fantasy games/stories. You don't scour the entire country for some lost artifact or demon kings. It's all essentially about protecting Kirkwall - your new home. You're not some chosen one shmuck with OC powers. Hawke is just some merc fag who made it big with his skill, connections and a bit of luck.

Talk about having a shit taste. DA 2 feels like an intermission between Origins and Inquisition.

>game has character creator
>you have to create your own character
>you also have to create your nemesis
>all race and gender options are allowed
>there is a different VA and slightly altered story for each of the two genderd

It was just copied from KOTOR II. But worse because your characters didn't even change classes.

In The Getaway on PS2, there was no hud, no health packs, no traditional rechargeable health etc.
You had to look at your character and see how they look - if they have good posture, if they're panting, if they're covered in wounds and blood. You had to make a judgement on how they appear.
To recharge health you simply take a break by leaning against something to compose yourself. After a while the character calms down and gets their breath back.

You also had no map/navigation, you had to look at your car indicators to see where you are supposed to go. When the hazard lights come on you stop.
Dunno if this particular feature aged well but I thought it was unique.

You can, and you even get a special ending where you meet the developers.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gt59UP_MpjU

Quite ironic coming from a guy praising shitquisition.

Where exactly am I praising it?

this

Origins was vastly superior to DA2, in every way. The fantasy tropes simply made it better RPG escapism.
DA2 came across to me as too tryhard desperately wanting to stand out and be unique, among other things