Criticize localization

>criticize localization
>"NOOOOOO IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY ANYTHING ELSE WOULD BE BROKEN AND UNREADABLE"
why do localization keks always do this

Attached: localization.jpg (792x227, 45.64K)

Most people suck at their jobs, or are mediocre.
Out of those, few actually realize they suck.
Boss probably suck too, if there is even management for these kinds of hackjobs

Attached: localizations.png (1063x1286, 444.79K)

Is there a reason why Yakuza 0, a game set in 1980s Japan, has 2017 American memes in it?

It's a wee nitpick, sure, but respect the original writer's work, cunts.

Why does your post have absolutely nothing to do with the pic you posted?

They are petty, miserable people.

Attached: Twitter_20220120130131.png (1200x4704, 992.15K)

I don't know why Any Forums is talking about translation and localization when they always set up localization to be a big bad boogeyman instead of what it really is.

Attached: file.png (2554x2158, 2.92M)

>why do localization keks always do this
Because strawmanning is a useful debate strat. They just need to act like there is no middle ground between It cant be helped tier literal translation and dumb meme speak where no jokes existed before

I, for one, do not even mind "it can't be helped". Maybe it's because I'm autistic, but it always made sense to me.

Its a little awkward; it makes sense for some characters, but there are for better alternatives for others. It was mostly just the first example I thought of

american media exists only as propaganda, they have zero earnesty

Nah I got what you mean, I'm just being autistic.

It was a bit disturbing hearing for a long time that the official subs for Monogatari are bad, then checking them out and seeing that they're objectively more accurate than any of the fansubs. If everybody wasn't so terrified of having notes they would be perfect.

Translator's Notes are a concession you make when you can't accurately translate the original idea or tone. There's nothing wrong with them, but the sub work [MTBB[/[Commie] do does a far better job at capturing the original intent.
Having to explain the gag is far less amusing than having the gag play out naturally in a language you know. And if you want to complain that there isn't an autistic pile of notes on the side, you could just learn Japanese instead of LARPing as one.

Attached: mpv-shot0079.png (704x528, 395.69K)

it's all so tiresome

Autism and a desire to be part of a group. In this case, people who whine about localization.

Translations like the one in the image always annoy me a little because you can so immediately tell that they aren't accurate, which just makes me wonder what was actually said. I would rather have a pun that's explained over one that I know was invented. Especially when it's Commie and they could just be putting dumb jokes in for no reason.

It wasn't just invented though. It used words close to the same meaning as the original ones to recreate the original meaning. Monogatari as a series places heavy emphasis on wordplay to highlight various themes, so "History and hystery" works.
All good localization is about conveying the same meaning in a way that allows the reader or viewer to understand it without checking the references page or the notes. It's fine that you prefer that, but that's inherently not translation and you may as well just learn Japanese instead of complaining.

Once again you can't defend shit localizations so you have to deflect to crying about shitty strawmen

I'm talking about the one where they change a kanji pun into a Winnie the Pooh reference, the bottom example is fine

That's also fine. Many Japanese people would get "Tora-uma" as it's just two animal names. Similarly, the closest approximation while keeping the pun relevant to trauma is "Tigger-Trigger". It remains relevant to tigers and keeps the pun there.
It's not like referencing common animals is a highbrow Japanese knowledge thing. The Monogatari Series is aimed at teenagers, who likely know only around 1500 to 2000 kanji.

Their livelihood depends on it. They know that fan translators (and soon machines) can do their jobs. So they desperately try to convince everyone that their fanfic rewrites are needed.
Also most jrpg/anime consumers love meme translations, so you'll always be a vocal minority. You won't convince the localizers to give up their jobs either. Arguing with any of them is a waste of time. Learn Japanese.

Attached: 1613675501886.gif (600x328, 1.13M)

>t. ESL

some changes are necessary, but changing the intent of entire lines or replacing lines with memes should be and rightly is mocked.

Kid, I'll teach you something, most game translators are just amateurs/fan translators who didn't have a better career path. Properly trained translators don't bother with low art.

Attached: 6E9257B6-0710-49EA-8F94-0B5225AC921F.jpg (643x820, 112.54K)

Not all localizations are equal. Over-Time hits a sweet spot... most of the time. 8-4, NoA, NoE (at times), and sometimes Xseed can be quite poor.

Neither of those are funny, it's more interesting knowing what the original line was

localisation is almost always better, the whole world has heard of American stuff, it's wholesome if it's local stuff who gives a shit about obscure japanese stuff its why localised as a cartoon speedracer is popular globally while kunio juns oppai loli pantsu adventure is only known by five freaks in jail localisation can get mass appeal and bigger sales who cares that some losers on forums are mad that you made miyamoto-san a black guy in the localisation or changed fukushima region local traditional cuisine for hotdogs and popcorn?

Then learn Japanese retard

the final cope of someone who likes shitty translations