ITT: the most overrated games

ITT: the most overrated games

Note that this doesn't necessarily means *bad* games, just games whose reception is overblown compared to their objective quality.

I liked pic related but holy fuck the hype led me to believe it's the second coming of Christ, when it's just a nice quirky amateur JRPG with a meta gimmick. I'm genuinely baffled at what caused it to blow up like it did.

Attached: 1060.jpg (500x500, 49.42K)

It's a 6.5/10 game with an 11/10 final act that comes out of nowhere and throws you in for a loop.

gays n trans

Eh I think its paced extremely well assuming you like the humor, I wouldn't call it the best game of all time or some shit but its extremely effective at doing what it wants (as opposed to like Omori which is very messy and feels like 3 different games in 1).
I think most 3D zeldas are extremely overrated, beyond the Ocarina and Majora's mask legacy they're really just sort of alright action games with really easy puzzles. I wouldn't call them shit but they're not really worth the 95/100 scores they regularly get from critics

It's a genuinely great game, but I will also state that Deltarune is going to blow it out assuming the remaining chapters deliver.

super midtroid

Super Metroid is the second purest vidya experience after Tetris, it invented and killed a genre in one game, once you've played it you don't have to bother with Metroid-likes ever again. Now that isn't necessarily an indicator of quality but it's definitely a notable feat.

I think Deltarune can easily fall into a pitfall if it goes too hard on the shipping

>with an 11/10 final act that comes out of nowhere and throws you in for a loop.
wich one of these 3 routes?

I dislike the characters and hate the cheap and pathetic way the game presents it's "philosophy". I do have to commend it, however, on the fact that it was the only game that presented me with a route of pure senseless evil and managed to make it feel engaging and compelling. I scoff at every le evil "kill everyone" run in average RPGs because of how boring and uninspired they seem to me, but it wasn't the case here.
On the topic - Nier Automata. Not sure if I even have to say anything here, it's some basic bitch philosophy and on the nose symbolism that takes itself way more seriously than it deserves. Only reason it didn't fade into obscurity, in my opinion, was because the ass was fat.

It was made almost entirely by one very talented college student, and he put a SHITLOAD of thought into it. Like, there is straight-up biblical allegory in this game.

I think I agree with it, but I put the rest of the game at more of a 7.5/10 because I like goofy dialogue and don't like jrpgs that much.
I never really thought about it like that, but yeah, the games really front & back loaded, I feel like the game was just made to deliver the start & ending(s)

I think the Mettaton parts raise the game's score considerably. He's a funny character and the TV skits are genius.

idk, deltarune is nice but it feels a lot more aimless with its point.
Whether you like undertale or not, I think it was a lot more concentrated and the story and gameplay was nicely aligned with the kill/spare mechanic

All three.

>including the genocide route
holy [cungadero]

>this is what tobyfags actually believe

Asriel's name is a reference to Azrael, the archangel of death in the Bible, and Mettaton's name is a reference to Metatron, the highest of the angels. They outright talk about angels in the game too.

This is part of what makes this game confusingly overhyped to me, the Mettaton parts were amusing but nothing special, and I've seen much more creative and funnier/better written sections in other games that were also great apart from that, which just flew under everyone's radar, and those that did acknowledge them made no special note of the sections. Whereas here you're saying that one character and his parts should raise the game's score considerably, for some reason people just want to give more credit to Undertale for doing ordinary things as if they were super special, it makes me feel like the people who praise Toby's games never played games before.

Attached: 185.jpg (640x322, 33.63K)

I agree with you. That's why I tell people Undertale is just an average game but its lifted by having 3 very good endings, and thus it pretty much makes the whole game worth playing.
Deltarune is already leagues better by being a game that's actually enjoyable the whole way through (so far).
The earthbound-esque "quirky" humor didn't do a lot for me in Undertale.

I don't think this game is bad but holy fuck the pre release stuff for the demo and full game was possibly the most bvblatant and true case of dev shilling I've ever witnessed.

Most video games don't have sections where you participate in parodies of game shows, cooking shows, and news shows.

Not him but Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi has that shit in spades.

>people who praise Toby's games never played games before

Attached: 1785.jpg (1280x720, 98.74K)

Well that's different because those are comedy games to begin with, whereas Undertale starts off taking itself pretty seriously, and still does throughout, but it also has some really funny sections.

It would be like if they made a Star Wars movie that had an infomercial parody in the middle of it.

I always thought Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi took themselves just as seriously as Undertale did.
They're all lighthearted rpg adventures with cute characters and gags. The Mother series does all this stuff as well.
Even Final Fantasy from time to time.

Okay, I'm soundly defeated.

There's nothing serious about Undertale, it's the bog standard millennial self aware irony fest

oh boy, now we have the retards who have just straight up not played the game entering the thread
kindly fuck off

self aware irony fest? fucking what? are we talking about undertale or fucking homestuck here?

This guy is right Undertale does take itself seriously. The pacifist ending is one of the most emotional things in modern video games.

I liked Undertale, but it is overhyped. It's not even as good as the RPG that inspired it.