Story Mode In Fighting Games

So according to some, the classic style Arcade Mode doesn't cut it for fighting games anymore and games coming out in the genre nowadays should be pushing for more in their Story Mode.
Do you agree? And what kind of story mode do you prefer in your fighting games anyway, the way Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc. did it?

Attached: 1644638106176.png (1576x697, 102.76K)

Story mode in TFH does it best. Traveling through a sprite overworld that explores the setting that the characters live in, unique enemies and boss fights that test the knowledge of your character's moveset, and great music to go with it that's unique to the story mode itself. Only one chapter is released so far and it does a better job of an interesting story mode compared to most fighting games I've played.

although I agree that fightans shouldn't bother with story mode, I think they should go for less than $60 nowadays. Nothing justifies paying that sort of money for a pvp only game

Make it good or scrap it entirely and cut the price of the game

Story mode worked for MK because it had a single defined lore from the very first game that involved the entire game's roster. It sucks for Street Fighter because half the cast has nothing to do with its story. Half the cast, including the main character and original boss, are only in the game to engage in a fight tournaments that doesn't seem to even exist within the story's narrative. Tekken has the same problem. In 7 the tournament was regulated entirely to side stories and was apparently canceled within the first two round of matches. The story only revolved around a handful of the cast, and much of the rest of the cast had no involvement in the story or competition. Although the story mode did advance the series storyline, it was at a huge expense to most of the cast's character development. If a fighting game can't use its story mode to advance the world, gameplay, and majority of its roster of characters, it's not worth the trouble. And players who think its some kind of mandatory feature can fuck off and play something else.

story mode in fighting games is for retards just like tutorial levels in every game that has them

>believing in journos words
depending of the journo intention, they will complain about something else if the story was amazing or praise the game for its story even if anything else is mediocre

>TFH
I've no clue what game is that

them fighting herds. Game is banned from Any Forums lol

>Nothing justifies paying that sort of money for a pvp only game
How about the IP's existence? Although a case can be made for lower prices encouraging new buyers. Offload the prices on cosmetics and lower initial buying price. But then you have the crowd that whines about high dlc prices.
So then how about cutting the story and singleplayer all out to reduce the price? Then you've really killed it because very few people enjoy getting destroyed for hundreds of hours before they learn to fight back.

tl;dr inflation sucks and development prices are rising

On one hand, I get that a more dynamic story mode brings in more sales which is what companies are always straining for at the end of the day. So yes, maybe devs should put more effort into their story modes.
But on the other hand, the people who buy fighting games for their story mode are hyper casuals that will drop said game after a few hours and won't support it further by buying the DLC unlike actual fightanfags. That work done for the story mode also takes away precious dev time that most would rather have put towards the development of more characters and the polishing of mechanics. In the case of KOFXV I really don't blame SNK for not giving story mode their all because the bigger appeal for the series is the game play and massive cast. Like, who really gives a fuck about the story of Shun'ei?

>Then you've really killed it because very few people enjoy getting destroyed for hundreds of hours before they learn to fight back.
Depends on the game. For MK where 80% of its playerbase is casuals who love the intricacies of the netherworld's political system and just want to mash low jab and fatality while partying then yeah. For SF I don't see that being an issue and not having a story mode on launch didn't hurt its sales. Me and several other weebs have 300+h in Uni and no one have played its VN mode (which is also new)

Kof is weird in that it focuses more on the story versus other 90s games, but it is told mostly in magazine articles and stuff.

>and not having a story mode on launch didn't hurt its sales
>Me and several other weebs have 300+h in Uni and no one have played its VN mode
Sure, but you and the SF players are already invested in the characters because you either saw an anime or played previous story content in other games. The issue is that new players have to be taken into account when designing games, so you can't skip on introduction, story or character development. The characters have to take shape through something like a narrative because while their designs may be cool, they need more than cool designs to be likeable and to make people want to invest time in them.

Thanks for reminding me of how retarded Any Forums mods are

Cart space were premium, but even then main team story is somewhat coherent well as ones involved.

It's the same shit as with arena shooters or other MP heavy genres.
There's a small vocal group consisting of less than 1% of the sales that go full autism on the game and play it forever.
This ensure that the dev will try to appeal to those autists while the rest of the world ditch it and the IP dies. At least fighting games still have bots but I'm sure they'd argue they're rather not having it so the dev can focus on more rosterfaggotery

Story modes and single player shit is the least important part of fighting games. If you're playing single player why are you fucking playing fighting games in the first place?

>NME
I didn't know they reviewed video games.

Attached: 24e8b870da6aca24618930.jpg (512x384, 23.97K)

I think there should be some investment in single player modes. SoulCalibur VI did a good job without spending insane amounts of money on it.

why you can have "single player only" games but not "pvp only" for $60?
The real problem is that fighting games are sold at full price, with future characters and stages sold at full price too

I loved the chronicle of the sword from SC3, would buy a game just for that.
SC6 story mode looks like a visual novel.

they want them to make a mortal kombat movie mode.
I want them to make a beat em up mode using the regular gameplay mechanics or just dont bother wasting development time on it

So what is the appeal of games like MK11 and SFV?