Were real time cutscenes a mistake?

Were real time cutscenes a mistake?

Attached: in game shitscenes vs real cutscenes.jpg (2448x2872, 1.05M)

Do you remember how much space pre-rendered cutscene videos used to take up? Real-time cutscenes take up only a mere pinch of that.

so you're saying nintendo is to blame for ruining this

>custom clothing on your character
>video cutscene shows different clothing entirely and breaks the immersion

So you want 50gbs of pre rendered cutscenes for every possible lighting conditions and armor/outfit combinations for even the most trivial of character interactions?

A big reason Final Fantasy 13 had to be broken up into 3 separate DVDs was because of the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Attached: file.png (720x540, 582.99K)

Pre-rendered cutscenes looked cool, so a little.
>Muh file size
Games are bloated pieces of shit with terrible file size management with in game cutscenes. Not an argument.

Cutscenes were a mistake.

Kojima

You look at stuff like UE5's Lumen lighting system and it's clear that real-time looks great enough to be used for cutscenes.

Besides, real-time cutscenes can always be context-sensitive. Your main character can wear the DLC clothing you put on them instead of the default, a certain character could appear in the scene depending on whether or not you saved them earlier in the game, buildings you chose to destroy could be absent, etc.

Attached: lumen-ue5.jpg (1920x1080, 183.88K)

Immersion does not exist. I do not care to have the fact my player character was holding a sword in one scene to be replaced with an empty hand in the next. I want a superior experience.

This thread is so stupid. OP is talking about movie game bullshit not FMVs. Cutscenes that show an event with no regard to time >>>>>>>>>>>> REAL-TIME cutscenes that show your character slowly walking up a mountain stammering on about shit you don't care about.

my main gripe is for bullshit like nu-GOW and the more recent uncharteds, which is to say the games are broken up by sections with as much interaction as to watching a movie while holding the play button. when they're done right, it's a short section that doesn't break the gameflow too badly, when they're done wrong, you get the games I mentioned above.

COPE

Attached: DSC_6182.jpg (1626x1080, 291.12K)

Getting to play and interact with all the cool shit happening in gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> watching a stupid clip of said cool shit
Cutscenes are for movie cucks

90% of the time this is objectively false. And movie game bullshit is not "gameplay".

This, I can literally sit down and watch metal gear solid 4 cutscenes no problem but I don't understand how people tolerate the walk and talk sections of these uber popular games. It's like whenever they happen people's thought process gets tied half to focusing on moving and the other half to the dialogue and they forget they are supposed to be playing a video game.

>Game has unskippable real-time cutscenes
dropped

Unless they're Cool Fight scenes, YES.

>watching a movie while holding the play button
Fucking nailed it. And I hate it. Not to mention
>hold W too much during cutscene
>characters moves too far and you miss out on the dialogue
So even if you were enjoying the story you get cucked just for trying to play the damn game.

Attached: 1392688389891.jpg (361x480, 21.44K)

Yeah finally someone says what I have always felt. Putting down the controller to watch cut-scenes is fine by me. It's when you have to walk at a snails pace, your HUD goes away and you have to move along with whatever is talking to you that makes me wanna stop playing.

>plays old game
>pre-rendered cutscene in 720p or worse
>its fucking cancer to the eyes
short answer,no

Attached: 1643298522098.png (960x697, 235.12K)

not to mention, with actual cutscenes, you can usually skip them on the second time through. but with the forced walk n' talk, you can't.

I used to replay entire games just to look at a specific cutscene I thought was the coolest thing ever

>playing game where they talk in the car
>Dialogue
>slightly veer into an object
>Dialogue stops
"AYO, WATCH WHERE YOU GOIN"
>5 second pause
>Dialogue resumes from 10 seconds before it got cuttof
>another 5 seconds passes
>arrive at destination without knowing
>Dialogue cuts off mid sentence
"We here"

why do they think people are gonna care about these sections when they make them as annoying as possible

How are you gonna post that and not tell us about some kino cutscenes

Not him but for me I replayed old Blizzard games, DMC3, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Ocarina of Time, amd FF7 off the top of my head.

the major downside to real time rendered cutscenes, that's only just now sort-of being overcome, is lighting.