Chrono Cross

I don't care if it's bad as a sequel, I never played Trigger. All that matters to me is if it's good on it's own. So how does it hold up against other SE JRPGs, Any Forums?

Attached: 010e96e0-89fc-11ec-bdf5-703f29082dc8.cf.jpg (675x422, 53.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Chronicles
youtube.com/watch?v=Xtf3v5qv9dw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>SE
much better
>SS
average

All I remember is playing it back in the day and having fun with it, but not playing trigger probably is gonna make the story really difficult to follow.

This might wind up being the ugliest remaster ever made.

Attached: lookin' good.jpg (1920x1080, 462.94K)

they're coming, the Trigger babbies, I can hear their onions tiers.

Attached: 1644450662944.jpg (1080x735, 319.32K)

Haven't played in 20 years, but off the top of my head, here's what I remember without slipping into spoilers:
>spells and special attacks are intended for use once per battle, and available again for the next battle
>they also have color-coded affinities (as do the characters themselves, red vs (as in strong against/weak to) blue, green vs yellow, black vs white
>arranging a sequence of like-colored attacks (the enemies also have an effect on this) will affect the battlefield itself, i.e. three blues in a row will make the field blue-affinity, enhancing blue moves while making red moves less effective
>you have the option to run from any battle, boss or otherwise, to regroup and rechallenge (or dodge altogether - not bosses, though)
>a few parts in the story will net you different party members depending on which story path you take, and in New Game+ you can get characters that were otherwise mutually-exclusive all on the same team, with a roster of 40+ characters all-told (you also get fast-forward and slow-motion, but maybe the remake will make these standard)

I thought it was great and I played Trigger as well too. There is a ridiculous amount of stuff you can miss on a first playthrough and your choices mostly affect how your party grows.

>All that matters to me is if it's good on it's own.
The problem is it doesn't really stand on its own, no matter how many people like to pretend it does because half of them only owned a PS1 as a kid and never experienced Trigger. The plot dumps alone make it clear how important its continuity with Trigger is.

In terms of Squaresoft games, I think it's well above average in terms of visuals and music, somewhat average in terms of gameplay, and below average when it comes to pacing. The combat system is probably more simplistic than even Trigger, despite the game trying to make it look and sound complex with its flashy UI and jargon. Like in Trigger, there's no random encounters, but a lack of a proper leveling system makes a lot of the battles feel rather pointless, unless you really like hording Consumable Elements (the game's equivalent of items - see what I meant about jargon?) and crafting materials. You also have a ton of characters to recruit, but very few of them have any relevance to the main plot or the stats and skillset to be useful in combat.

Unlike Trigger's tightly-paced campaign, Cross is pretty slow and meandering. There's a good 15-20 hours where the main plot sort of stops in its tracks and forces you to go around doing fetch quests and engaging in side quests and character recruitment. A lot of it feels like pointless filler.

Attached: Chrono Cross-0027.png (906x720, 682.45K)

Attached: Chrono Cross fans admit they lack intelligence and want CT fans to top them.png (887x278, 133.77K)

are you implying CT wasn't on ps1?
>inb4 nobody knew or played it
it literally was the console i played it first

Harle>Kid

>people like to pretend it does because half of them only owned a PS1 as a kid and never experienced Trigger
Holy shit kill yourself

I mean, yeah, but for one, Trigger's PS1 port is ass and two, Cross outsold it in North America - at least back. I don't know the stats nowadays, since Trigger has been ported to like ten freaking platforms already.

Attached: Chrono Cross-0014.png (906x720, 552.42K)

I don't really care if you love eating shit

>no new double, triple techs
>no new cutscenes
>no revamping of the horrendous final act script
>NO FPS FIXES
>no voice acting
>FUCKING LIVE A LIVE gets more love
Chrono fans are born to suffer I guess.

>CC remaster might mean we'll finally get good art for hot girls like Steena, Miki, and Irenes
One can only hope

Orlha was best girl

Attached: DKN0wicU8AAH5Cg.jpg (640x480, 68.46K)

the DS port is great

It's a fun and interesting combat mechanic. But the story is very convoluted and very retarded. I also liked using totally not magus, even if it doesn't get you the good ending or other good characters.

I liked it more than Trigger DESU but I played Cross as a kid and Trigger later as a teen. But I've returned to Chrono Cross many more times than Trigger.

Pro
>interesting storyline
>lots of characters to recruit
>Unique battle system and leveling system
>Incredible music

Con
>TOO many characters to recruit, a lot of them feel the same in interactions
>story can drag on in some places

Overall though I loved the game and think the pros outweigh the cons

>All that matters to me is if it's good on it's own.
Get ready for a massive underdeveloped and unbalanced cast, and a story that has tons of long exposition dumps because Kato is an idiot that thinks long scenes of rambling about a convoluted plot means it has depth.

Oh, and I just realized something. Chrono Trigger's PS1 version didn't come out in North America until almost a year after Cross in the Final Fantasy Chronicles dual pack.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Chronicles

Yeah, the DS port is great. I think its only problem is TOSE's usual shitty side content like the Lost Sanctum. Otherwise, it's probably the definitive version of the game. Maybe modders will eventually bring the PC port up to par, but don't get your hopes up.

You know I'm right.

Attached: Chrono Cross-0025.png (906x720, 1.3M)

>on it's own
Great OST
A story that's pretty great at its best, pretty bad at its worst
Tons of characters, for the better and worse
Meh battle system but for the time, you could consider it ok
One famous difficulty spike

It really has been almost 20 years since I played it. Should I play it on my PS3 or is it good on an emulator? I haven't touched ePSXe in almost that long, I'm not even sure if anything better ever came along.

cope

>Great OST
youtube.com/watch?v=Xtf3v5qv9dw

Find me another song anywhere with both a hurdy gurdy and a jew harp. You can't.

Why

Attached: 86e.1920x1080.jpg (1405x1029, 319.38K)

Chrono cross killed the franchise with how terrible it was.
Nothing like CT, no love given, awful 3d graphics, unintuitive battle systems.
100 characters, all of them boring.