When an RPG is imbalanced towards one option being the most effective gameplay-wise...

When an RPG is imbalanced towards one option being the most effective gameplay-wise, should the blame be put on the player for using it to the point of boredom? Or is the game at fault? Or both?

Attached: 4.png (773x145, 5.63K)

if you're metagaming in a role playing game then you don't get to complain when you're bored

It’s the game’s problem. It’s the developer’s job to balance the game properly, not the player’s.

If it literally makes the game trivial, as in, you don't have a way to die, then yes it should be removed. If it's just very powerful but not very unbalanced and it's not easy to access, then the developer should keep it the way it is. The only exceptions are multiplayer games.

Retards who genuinely post like that image are becoming too plentiful lately.

if the most effective ways to play the game are not also the most interesting, the designer has failed and the player is not at fault for finding this boring

Both are at fault in different ways. The game is poorly balanced so obviously that's the developers fault but when my friends say they can't get into a game and i see them do the same 2 attacks over and over because it's optimal but the game has a really fun combat system if you experiment more and play for variety, then I think my friends are kinda retarded and I stop paying attention to their opinions on games. If you're a meta slave in a single player game to the point where you aren't having fun but the game offers fun if you just play differently, you should video game yourself. It's actual autism.

It is 100% the game's problem.
If a game has lots of things that don't need to be used, then the game is simply out of its own depth.

Both and neither.

FF6's magic system was strong enough that min/max dinguses use it and don't care about other options. That's not necessarily Square's fault, that's just how the magic & esper system worked. The game isn't so hard that you even remotely need to use Magic outside of a couple chars without useful Skills, but people still do it and complain that the game is "too easy" because Magic is too strong. Nigga, don't use magic then. Tools are great. Blitzes are fun. Rages are stronger than Magic. Lore/Blue magic is...okay I guess. Mimic is great for doubling up any of the other skills. You could beat the game without ever casting a single spell if you wanted, just slap Atma/Illumina on Terra + Offering and Genji Glove and stab Kefka 8 times every Attack while charging Cyan's SwordTech and then have Gogo Mimic Sabin's Bum Rush.

Except most games don't demand that you play most efficiently. They're at fault sure but it's stupid if you're sitting there refusing to have fun when it's possible. It's not an esport.

Games of this nature should always be balanced well enough to allow people to cater their advantages based on their individual play style. Making one avenue the clearly most effective and braindead easy option ruins replayability which lowers the value the game provides. Games with real lasting power have a depth of gameplay that allows players to naturally play differently without feeling like they're being punished for experimenting.

The trouble is in order to accomplish balance a clear vision of what the game will feel like needs to exist before the game starts being developed. This takes uncommon talent and luck for that person with the singular vision to be in a position of power to ensure the vision is realized.

Single-player game:
Your fault
Multiplayer game:
Game's fault

The issue normally that the best way to play is boring. Nobody cares that magic in Baldur's Gate 2 kicks the shit out of everything else because its fun and has more depth than other options. Nobody complains about magic being shit in Dark Souls because its less fun than getting down and dirty with the evil knight dudes.

The game is the source in this case. Bad in bad out.

in a singleplayer game? unless you're speedrunning you have no business complaining about meta. multiplayer games are different though.

the problem is that ff6 combat isn't fun, so ending battles asap with god magic is the best way to get through it

DMC2 Gun spammers / DMC2 Style Point havers

>Single-player game:
>Your fault
How? A single-player game can be more easily balanced than a multiplayer game because less variables in general

>FF6
>not fun as shit
you're a retard and a faggot

Depends on how far out of your way you have to go to do it. People bitch about FF8 junction system but you either have to draw for 40 minutes from the same mob or have to learn GF Card and GF Refine and battle people for all the cards.

Attached: 4810FC98-10B4-4F65-9F46-80AACC66826C.jpg (554x816, 74.63K)

"Optimization" is not something everyone should strive toward while playing games and people who want to "optimize" a game should not get to dictate the rules for everyone else.

atb gauge simulator
i play actually good games like v

I think FFVI is one of the most fun RPGs I've played.
V is cool, but I prefer VI overall

Depends.
Is it an mmo? If so, then the blame is on the developer and should be corrected.
If it's a single-player game, then more often than not overpowered options are put in intentionally to provide an easier path, and if you find it too easy, then not using it is a legitimate strategy and a valid argument. Since the whole point in an RPG is to play a role, and if you're incapable of stopping yourself from using something you don't like just because it's easier, then you're not playing the game, the game is playing you, and you've completely missed the point of the roleplaying part of RPG.

Never do drugs. If you're incapable of not using a single thing in a videogame, then you're definitely the kind of weak-willed thinskinned bitch that will end up an addict for life just from sniffing an aspirin bottle.

I like how the Final Fantasy series gives you a ton of options to play around with. Usually there's multiple broken options, but balance isn't the most important thing to me. It makes battles more fun when you can experiment with a bunch of different things.

I see we've got a live one here.

Attached: 1613925821340.jpg (253x200, 4.59K)