So which version of Myst is the one to play in 2022?

So which version of Myst is the one to play in 2022?

Attached: 1635119941263.jpg (1200x1200, 146.31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mdZGXTTB65k&t=84
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Masterpiece Edition. Not to be confused with RealMyst Masterpiece Edition. If you can fully move around in 3D, you have the wrong one.

Wasn't there a remake in 2021? Why do they keep remaking this game I've played like four versions of it, remake Riven damn you

Starry expanse soon™

Attached: 1623338669870.jpg (640x637, 62.48K)

So, is the Myst, like, the hardest quest in existence?

Are these puzzle games or walking sims?

you cant walk so puzzle games

How did such a "brainy" video game become so mainstream ? Were people who played video games really smarter 30 years ago?
I've been told the latest version ( came out last
year ) is the best way to experience the game

Attached: 1641616395602.jpg (1536x2048, 376.61K)

This game is creepy like someone was watching you through a second story window the whole time

That would be incorrect.

It was one of the earliest 'cinematic experiences' that actually paid off from sick grafics and FMV sequences because it had proper gameplay.

RealMyst Masterpiece Edition is the best looking one imo, the 2021 release that's just called "MYST" is alright too.
>If you can fully move around in 3D, you have the wrong one.
You can turn that off.

Riven.

>just wanna play Riven in VR
>starry expanse taking forever to come out
I'm aware quality takes time, would like to get some kind of meaningful updates on its progress though.

Attached: 1340703643031.png (342x245, 99.75K)

When it came out it was one of the most beautiful games that had ever had a mainstream release. It also brought a lot of older people into games.

The original Masterpiece Edition is the real graphics just rendered in higher definition. RealMyst remakes the assets and changes the atmosphere for the worse. The new MYST release fucks up the FMV which is unforgivable. The original Masterpiece Edition is definitive.

The original on Macintosh, the way it's meant to be played.

So I'm not the only one that felt that way then. For all I knew in Myst 3 especially Saavedro actually was doing that.

Attached: 1336284219133.png (312x315, 3.88K)

>myst elitists exist
I shouldn't be surprised.

IIRC realMyst comes with a flashlight you can use which completely breaks the stoneship age if I'm not mistaken since there are areas that were designed to only be visible after you solved certain puzzles. I don't really agree it's elitism to think that's sort of dumb and not a well thought out thing to put in a puzzle game designed for people to think something out.

Attached: !.jpg (304x196, 16K)

youtube.com/watch?v=mdZGXTTB65k&t=84

See for yourself. 1999's Masterpiece Edition is the best way to experience the original game. The only reason to play RealMyst or RealMyst Masterpiece Edition is for the added age but it's not great. The new MYST is pointless really unless you only want to play VR.

Jumpscare of a lifetime as a young'un playing this

I only played the original and the 2021 remake so I didn't know that. Adding a flashlight is kinda weird since the game doesn't need it at all.

This. I absolutely adore the fact that Myst can be played in VR now, that's like a dream come true (riven in VR would be an even bigger dream come true) but if you're looking for the vanilla experience, Masterpiece Edition is the best.

Attached: mystvr 3mb.webm (640x360, 2.91M)

Felt like that with Riven too

its very annoying how myst is the only game people seem to care about where theres a whole goddamn series.

I want a remake so damn much.

Attached: goat.jpg (522x600, 67.81K)

I love the graphical improvements in RealMyst and they're pretty much what I've dreamt of MYST being since I was a little kid. Haven't played MYST (2019) yet, but it looks ok for the most part.

For the most part when it comes to discussion of myst actual myst fans mostly agree Riven was better than the original.
I think that's the most memorable myst game in my opinion. I liked 3 a lot but didn't get very far in it, I didn't really play much of the myst games that came after, and I have this weird hazy memory of a game called Uru which was like, a myst MMORPG or some shit? I wouldn't know because I didn't play it online. I just remember it looking REALLY GOOD graphically at the time it came out.

You say improvements but I say it is a fundementally different atmosphere. I also believe changing the camera angles completely fucks with the aesthetic intent and pacing.

Why? It's perfect.

It's for the day/night cycle.

I thought the devs were working with the starry expanse guys or something? All I know is Riven remake is supposed to be happening after Firmament.

That's interesting I might check it out just to see how different it is.

For replays the remakes are worth it for the curious.

>>just wanna play Riven in VR
vr is what the hold up is. cyan pretty much officially bought out/took starry expanse under their wings and were starting to demo early builds of riven vr at mysterium. iirc after this happened starry expanse was put under company nda and can't say much. i think the deal is the firmament launches (sometime) this year and then riven (possibly) after that. before cyan made it official though one of the bigger hold ups was re-doing the fmvs and finding good lookalikes for catherine, gehn, etc.

>I have this weird hazy memory of a game called Uru which was like, a myst MMORPG or some shit?
if I remember right, it was SUPPOSED to be an MMO but never quite got there so they just released it as a single player game.
I should really get around to playing it because inadvertently the premise of an empty MMO with secrets to solve actually sounds somewhat interesting.

starry expanse will never come out unless cyan completely takes over the project themselves

they already did and then 2020 happened

Idk. MYST was the very first video game I played and I loved it. I was obsessed with it as a kid, owned all the books and spent a lot of my type designing and writing about my own ages in class. Seeing the different ages in game with better graphics (even if they're dated now) and with day/night cycles was incredible and made me legitimately happy like no vidya has since. I think it nailed the atmosphere perfectly.

Attached: 1644305919250.gif (480x196, 1.53M)