Why do games have to have long animations for everything?

Why do games have to have long animations for everything?
>If you jump there has to be a stagger animation after
>dodge and the character staggers
>long animation/cutscene of a character going through tight spaces (think ff7 remake)
>getting in a vehicle takes ten years
>climbing something takes ten years
>cutscene of a character crafting something, just pulling a lever, or pressing a button
I really noticed this when I was playing jedi fallen order and red dead 2

Attached: 1609710397006.jpg (1079x770, 48.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=geZ11REU9VQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Funny you mention that.
I was playing Fire Emblem 10 recently and wondered why the mages were so slow.
I eventually realized it was probably a bandaid because of how fucking long the ultimate spell animations are.
youtube.com/watch?v=geZ11REU9VQ

Attached: file.png (1724x2386, 3.33M)

Realism plus entire divisions of companies that have to justify their existence so they spend plenty of time over-animating everything. It's not enough anymore that getting on a horse just teleports you on top ala Mount and Blade, you have to hire mocap actors and rent a studio for 6 months to capture the correct realistic animation. Then you have to do first construction passes on the raw footage, then touchups, then final review passes with the relevant stakeholders to ensure quality. QA then has to get on and get off the horse in-game over 1000 times in hundreds of different scenarios to test for stability. We spent a lot of time/money on this so you better fucking enjoy it. This is why AAA games cost $300 million to make and need microtransactions and season passes to make their budgets back, by the way.

Well they need to stop with the bullshit. I just want to play the game not watch a 20 second cutscene of a character doing something I don't care about.

Better than hit sponges that don't stagger on hit. Or punching bags that only exists for you to combo.

Muh realism. Also, hiding loading screens. Oh, and padding gameplay length.

>Activate lever
>Animation of character pulling lever plays
Bruh, this is taking so long. Why do I have to watch this same animation like 800 times?

>Activate lever
>Lever magically pulls itself in an expedient manner
Bruh, look at this low effort trash. They didn't even try.
There's no winning. Sometimes the game doesn't mind being "video gamey" and have funky shit happen to make things better for the player, and sometimes they want something more grounded and don't want to take the player out of the experience so they add little animations and details where needed.

Simple, make the player manually pull levers the first few times and then let them just skip the animation using the force afterwards.
>But it isn't a Star Wars game!
Fuck you use the force

It depends on the game, really. I don't need an animation of my Skyrim character rotating the pillars for the "puzzle" but I do need an animation of Joel or Ellie opening the door. It just, as almost everything, depends on the tone.

There is a difference between having a animation of just pulling a lever and then having the character go into the cutscene walking up the lever, pull the lever and then having to watch another cutscene of the result of that

Because dumb people thought Mario 64 played better than this
And they've been saying it for so long nudevs unironically think they're right.

Attached: 38189237919873.png (894x894, 484.53K)

Otherwise the controls are floaty and feel awful

games made by non gamers with the aim to impress visually rather than feel satisfying to play

there's absolutely a middle ground of having enough animations so that it doesn't look low budget, but also not have the animations be too drawn out and uncancellable where it feels like it is getting in the way

>Why do games have to have long animations for everything?
sometimes that shit is useful.
like in No More Heroes 2 u get a shit ton of I-frames from the katana swap. very useful against pic related.

Attached: fa1775a905e4f6796e133177a7fa3b7e.jpg (1417x797, 120.73K)

I can't play Rockstar games anymore because of the over choreographed animations. Feels like I have input latency. Very unsatisfying to play

Why are zoomers like this?

Because there was a time when making an animation was actually harder than just making a playable character. 3D animations in the form of cutscenes or small movements were fucking amazing. Now we know it's in fact easier to make an animation instead of a playable sequence. So we just aren't amused by any of it and the only thing it accomplishes is to take time off your playing. But some people still don't understand this.

>it's in fact easier to make an animation instead of a playable sequence

Attached: 9286457.jpg (178x250, 5.54K)

Not wanting long ass animation for every little thing=zoomer?

Is this when goku gets blinded? I just finished the GT shadow dragon arc and it was actually good.

Attached: 4AB6A876-0887-41F8-9A01-2A7D9DC93428.jpg (300x480, 59.9K)

At this point, he's really not wrong. Especially with how accessible motion tracking is now.