What is, or will be, the catch?

Attached: 1575704355_007720_1575704604_noticia_normal[1].jpg (1200x675, 45.7K)

Testing my ban evasion in this thread

Attached: nikolaugh.png (96x96, 1.74K)

there's no catch, they won't raise the price and get exclusive games on the platform, that'd be crazy.

The primary difference between XGP and Steam is that Steam gives you the illusion of ownership.

devs will tailor their games for DLC even harder because people will be playing the base game for free

They get people to stop buying games, lock them into the Game Pass ecosystem, and then slowly raise the price over time. Since some people will have stopped purchasing games they'll either have to pay the increased subscription prices or spend a lot of money rebuilding their game collection.

They can fix what's happening now like Sports game 2021 being available to play but they leave in older versions from previous years which takes up the game catalog when it can go towards other games.

the trick is fooling f*rstworlders into le convenience meme and turning the entire platform into a subscription service, ie os + console + vidya

Not really, most people have started to give developers/publishers much more shit for incomplete games and trying to charge for $100+ of DLC, might see proper Expansions make a comeback

increased cost my man

The catch is already there: you don't outright out the games nor have a long-term license for the games. It's a great deal, but still a subscription service at the end of the day.

You will own nothing and be happy.

>game collection.
Waste of money, you're not going to replay a game a year later when there are so many new games constantly releasing, I buy and sell everything, it's more economical than buying a game at full price and watching it's value drop to a quarter

Good morning sirs

It's unprofitable in its current state. The price is too low to turn a profit, and they're running promotions like crazy to increase subscriber count. People are abusing the trials for super cheap 1 or 2 month trials for a buck or a bit more. Others were buying a can of pringles to play a brand new $60 first party Microsoft release over a weekend instead of buying it like they otherwise would have if Gamepass were not an option. If Sony makes a Gamepass competitor then every third party game will go up in licensing price as bidding wars start happening making the costs even higher.
Remember how Sony lost a couple billion on the PS3 and everyone was saying how Playstation was doomed or how that failure erased all the profit made from the PS2 and PS1 era combined? Microsoft has already spent 40 times the PS3's massive loss to buy a few studios to add more games to Gamepass. It'll be a very, very long time before Gamepass even hits that much in revenue, let alone profit to pay for those.
Look at how Netflix's prices are the highest of any streaming service and keep increasing every year or every other year. The same will happen with Gamepass starting relatively soon.

>says nervous snoy for the 10th time this year

this. exactly like Netflix, except they'll have even less competition

this isn't really a catch since almost no one REALLY wants to own their games, they just want to play them. I don't care about owning any of the stuff I wash on HBO Max, and as long as I have a csv backup I have no problem with not owning my Spotify music. Video games are an even more transient medium. with rare exceptions you barely ever want to replay them after a year, unlike music.

this is what those economists meant by "You will own nothing and will be happy". It's not some dystopian future prediction, it's just an observation of how subscription services work literally right now

>It's unprofitable in its current state. The price is too low to turn a profit
that's what they said about Office and Windows

The catch is they are letting their audience get used to an idea of paying for a service like they did with office 365. That is the future of gaming. You will own nothing and you will enjoy it unironically. I actually like it because I spent $50 for three years of gamepass using a vpn to a shithole country. Played the hell out of age of empires and halo infinite. Don't see myself replaying it so it actually saved me money.

Office is actually the perfect example for this. It was insanely profitable to sell new versions to businesses and consumers, but they learned that if they make them subscribe every year to use those same features instead that they could make a killing and make even more money.
Because before you could buy Office 2008 or whatever and use that for 5 or 10 years on old as fuck machines and be out the one time expense. But stop making a finished piece of software and charge every year for the privilege of using Office and you can turn those one time customers into yearly customers that make you a ton more money. All that because the customer no longer owns the software, they're paying for a subscription.
Sound familiar?

You mean those things that are now basically services that the user has no control over, and get progressively worse over time to mimic the Apple model of intentionally gimping earlier versions to force people to update? Yeah, what a nice "future".

>inb4 snoy
Sod off with your console war dicksucking, ya bloody nonce.

nah fuck off snoy

I never said it will stay nice, just that it's profitable and they're definitely gonna come out on top. I'm a switchad so it doesn't affect me either way