Why do AAA devs fill the need to overemphasize graphical power nowadays when it usually leads to diminishing returns?

Why do AAA devs fill the need to overemphasize graphical power nowadays when it usually leads to diminishing returns?

Attached: TLOU2.jpg (1024x576, 112.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=izxXGuVL21o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>nowadays when it usually leads to diminishing returns?

Not with ray tracing. The main goal is to get away from static (baked) lighting and make it all dynamic and realtime.

Attached: lumen-ue5.jpg (1920x1080, 183.88K)

Because it is easier to work on improving graphics than developing smarter AI. And hiring good writers to develop an interesting story takes time and is riskier due to le ameritard culture wars

yipee. that's exactly what i want from my video games, a shallow gameplay experience and real-time lighting.

Because they want to impress no-player audiences.

Compare gameplay complexity of a modern AAA console game to something released 10 years ago. They aren't games anymore they're movies.

People were already saying games from 2012 were not even complex anymore.

Attached: muh graphics.png (788x985, 655.32K)

Advertisement and trailers still run on the visual aspect and for AAA devs with established games that's the only way they can market themselves.

Even then most would agree what we have now is a step down even from that.

I would have to honestly say gameplay is still just as shallow. What's different now is mostly the financial microtransaction aspect of games.

Day 1 Seattle would have been so much better without Dina; she should have accompanied Jessie in chasing after you, if at all

I'm this close to shooting myself
someone tell me this survey was biased as fuck

Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, AC 3, Sleeping Dogs and Max Payne 3 came out in 2012. I would take that over 2021 releases any day.

i love baked lighting

:(

I just want complexity, and good art. Wish graphics were not as big a deal as they are.

>overemphasize graphical power nowadays
>Naughty Dog
Watch this. I think they have a philosophy of pushing console hardware to its limits. I think they also did it with the first Last of Us for the PS3.
youtube.com/watch?v=izxXGuVL21o

fantasy fulfillment > gameplay > apoliticality > story > framerate > graphics/artstyle > ethical labor practices

Attached: E_IF1RUX0AACbGu.png (740x744, 1M)

*blocks your world's interactivity and destructibility in your path*

*blocks your day/night cycle in your path*

*adds hours of waiting time as the level bakes in your path*

Nothing personnel, kid

here's the plan guys, buy olliolli world and then devs will recognize cel shading is better

Attached: olliollim8.jpg (910x512, 179.23K)

soulless

Most games in general are bad no matter how good the graphics are. Look at BOTW. Terrible graphics and it was a watered-down experience.

>change a single thing or two in the level
>you have to bake the whole thing all over again

I've lost too many hours waiting for the lighting to bake. Never again. Kill it. Kill it immediately.

>when it usually leads to diminishing returns
Because it sells. Retards like their shiny graphics like they like their Marvel movies. You want the best example, look at the Demon's Souls """Remake"""

Because they have no creativity or aren't allowed to be because of investors or some other old fags in suits. That's why the open world meme exists too. Fuck-all in the game and fuck-all to do in general so they just go THE MAP BIG THOUGH, LOOK AT BIG MAP. The guy that presented elden ring in the recent taipei thing literally did this several times during the interview. He just went WE HAVE A BIG MAP THOUGH, SO BIG. IT'S LIKE DARK SOULS BUT WITH A HUGE MAP. YOU CAN JUMP BY THE WAY, WELCOME TO THE REVOLUTION. BIG MAP BY THE WAY, LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING.

Eventually, maybe. I don't know much about it yet and I'm wary of cartoonish stuff.

graphics stopped being impressive in 2013

The end results aren't more impressive for end users. The appeal of ray tracing is for devs, they get to save manhours by relying on dynamic lighting.

it's just skating in a pretty 2.5D world with some minor story stuff

>then devs will recognize cel shading is better
Because what we need is more ugly eyesores like Borderlands and Bioshock, right?

you forgot atmosphere