Switching between characters on the fly instead of from the main menu is the next step...

switching between characters on the fly instead of from the main menu is the next step, Sonic Heroes was an honorary Donkey Kong Country game in this way, Shadow the Hedgehog was a misstep for the franchise (should have been a GTA clone on 7th gen consoles) and they should have ironed out the kinks with Heroes.

Attached: vidya.jpg (280x216, 30.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R6Iw2MeT2DA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who gives a shit about this franchise other than furros?

shit game

>Chaotix was the first game to try a tag-team mechanic and it failed hard because of the tether
>Heroes tried it next and fared better but still had its own share of bad problems
>Advance 3 took it even further with multiple combinations that have their own abilities but again, had its own flaws to deal with
>Mania Encore Mode does it in the simplest way yet but is also the best experience out of all four thanks to it being such a good game
At least it's slowly getting better. Instant character switching is always great in Sonic since everyone has such unique abilities.

Attached: 1532001026253.gif (252x170, 151.33K)

Sonic Team and Iizuka's credibility died here

If you can just switch characters on the fly then you might as well just be 1 character. Classic Sonic did it better where you pick 1 character and stick with him, as did DKC where you don't always have each character available.

fuck no, because they have unique abilities set up back in the day zoomer
it's fun to switch on the fly, expediently, to deal with obstacles, without a hitch
youtube.com/watch?v=R6Iw2MeT2DA

>Sonic Heroes was an honorary Donkey Kong Country game in this way

Attached: 1621561778467.png (311x413, 249.31K)

Heroes is fucking dogshit and one of the biggest reasons is because it doesn't build the game around letting you experiment with the three styles so much as it forces you to use all three in a very obnoxious manner
people bitch about things like Big in Adventure 1 but at least that was segregated into its own story mode you could tackle at your own pace. People bitch about things like that being ruined by SA2's pacing make you do a thousand tails/knuckles stages inbetween each sonic stage but even then, at least they were individual stages

it tries to be both a platformer and a puzzle game and fails at both
also the levels are too fucking long

fuck no, the problems with Sonic Heroes are
A. slippery controls
B. easy, normal, hard dichotomy;
only differentiated by how much of the same levels you play with some added enemies

replay the game and try some different things, there's branching paths, occasions where you can push forward with speed even when it says to use fly, ect

3D Blast's gameplay grows on you, SA1 was good outside of Big and Gamma's stories. SA2 was great outside of a few stages. Heroes is shit

While I'm not sure I agree that ShadowTH could have been good as a GTA clone, or the DKC comparison, I do agree that Heroes hit on a neat mechanic that I wish Sonic Team revisited properly. The only thing I would add would be making it so going solo or double have their own advantages. Maybe make it so that speed characters don't have as high a top speed when you have a full party. Flight characters have longer flight times, or power types being able to glide farther. Not gimp them or anything, but just make it so that there's incentive to play in different ways and maybe explore stages as certain characters to find exclusive items or routes. There's a lot of ways you could experiment with the concept.

No sorry but this is a rock stupid take. Lots of games do tagout mechanics. The issue is Heroes lacks proper execution and is unpolished.
>DKC where you don't always have each character available
You do though. Just hit Select while standing still. A better example would have been Mania where there are specific circumstances where you can switch characters and not on demand.

Attached: 1516831588932.jpg (936x408, 15.19K)

This was really cool and replaying sonic heroes, I was really amazed by how snappy it was
i think it was really a high point of sonic heroes
I'd like to see it again

>I'm not sure I agree that ShadowTH could have been good as a GTA clone
>I do agree that Heroes hit on a neat mechanic that I wish Sonic Team revisited properly
what about an open world Sonic Heroes 2, where you are free to explore using your team's abilities, with enough obstacles that no matter which direction you go it's as if you're playing through a level as you go

Heroes is great in concept, but the execution needed more ironing out really.

>A. slippery controls
I'd argue the controls are more finicky/spastic, but that's a pedantic point. The game just doesn't feel great to play period.

“HEREWEGO LEAVEITTOME GOTIT HEREWEGO LEAVEITTOME GOTIT HEREWEGO LEAVEITTOME GOTIT“

Heroes is underrated, the game wasn’t perfect but it was pure Sonic kino and soul.

i'm at home playing it more than any new sonic games

>switching between characters on the fly instead of from the main menu is the next step, Sonic Heroes was an honorary Donkey Kong Country game in this way
This sounds like something TheGreekCritique would say but he fucking hates Sonic Heroes

Attached: GeekCritiqueSA2.jpg (1280x720, 236.23K)

This guy is a total loser and I hate how talking about something for a long time automatically makes your statements valid in a video essay