Bamco is hiring for their own in house engine

automaton-media.com/articles/hiring/20220203-190654/
>The company is developing an "engine designed to withstand the development of large-scale games such as the open world." The CTO is Julien Merceron, who was once involved in the development of game engines for other companies, and is in charge of engine production.
>The reason for in-house production is that we want to continue to have the technological capabilities to create a solid foundation by ourselves, rather than leaving the base to game engines made by other companies.
>I think the development was decided around 2018. First of all, it was a policy to prepare only the runtime in the form of a game framework, and develop tools when there is room. So I was allowed to run for it. However, at that time, it coincided with the development of other large games, and the development was at a slow pace. After that, the concept of the game engine was verified by several people, and based on this prototyping, full-scale development began around 2019.
So basically Square Enix will be the only major Japanese publisher that still use Unreal.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 138.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/WorldFeatures/WorldPartition/
unrealengine.com/en-US/custom-license?sessionInvalidated=true
vimeo.com/628967524
youtube.com/watch?v=VTw-IL2SgRQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why are they leaving? ue5’s nanite system allows gamedevs to use billions of polygons

>So basically Square Enix will be the only major Japanese publisher that still use Unreal.

Square Enix lost a lot of money with Luminous Engine. I don't think they want to take that risk again.

Good. Fuck UE.

And they made a lot using UE, right? I remember them calling trials of mana a success and I assume KH3 made good money

bandai will have to make new Tekken assets instead of using the same T1 assets in my lifetime

Attached: 1613175646447.gif (388x344, 999.76K)

didn't the ace combat dev say they were using ue5 for their next project ?

Also the new World Partition feature makes open world games more utilizable in Unreal as well.

docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/WorldFeatures/WorldPartition/

Attached: image_7.webm (650x338, 305.93K)

They probably don't want to pay Epic the 5% cut and think making a new engine will lead to more savings down the line. There won't have any concrete information for years though and they'll stick with UE for the time being, especially since the new Ace Combat was confirmed to be using Unreal.

Yeah SE got burned fucking hard with engines. I can't blame them with staying on Unreal.

>They probably don't want to pay Epic the 5% cut and think making a new engine will lead to more savings down the line.

Don't larger game developers usually negotiate custom licenses for engines with lower royalties?

unrealengine.com/en-US/custom-license?sessionInvalidated=true

Great, another engine third-party developers can't even pay money to license out.

It's not like they'll make games in the new engine, if they don't have it yet.

>tfw using Unreal Engine 5 to render animations and stills (can't buy a new GPU to render them fast enough in Blender so UE5 is the next best thing)
>tfw UE5 is completely royalty-free for all non-game uses

Feels damn good, man.

I just hope they invest in optimization

WOOO GO EPIC, that's exactly what everyone wants, unoptimized bloated garbage that will make the COD look like a fucking notepad file

why dont they just improve their old one?

That's good if you're making movies, but billions of polygons per frame and tons of 8K textures is going to take up quite a lot of space for games.

If you have the resources to make your own engine and don't need what an expensive engine gives you it's a no brainer to just make your own

>That's good if you're making movies

Come to think of it, why NOT use UE5 to make movies? With Lumen and Nanite, you could make some pretty great epic kino, and on consumer-level hardware no less.

This was made in UE5:

vimeo.com/628967524

youtube.com/watch?v=VTw-IL2SgRQ

Attached: 1271373141-6ee3e31d5fe2f82b655d13781bde8b5d0d91c2c6323b65104.jpg (900x380, 53.3K)

i find it amazing that UE5 has been out for a good while and the only thing people make are rocky deserts of boulders and nothing, Gotta give it to Epic, amazing desert making tech

I'm planning to use Unreal for my Blender to VR projects