Why did it fail?

Why did it fail?

Attached: 2013-12-09-xbox-one1.jpg (984x726, 57.61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No games

Microsoft hadnt bought every succesfull third party ip under the sun yet

E3 2013

youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

No games...

Started with Always online, Kinect must always be connected, that cost the dearly even after they reversed course... after saying it literally couldn't be done.

Xbox has never won a generation. I don't think it's fair to say it failed when it's never won.

Watch TV

it's a shitbox, no one cares
the only reason 360 wasn't a complete failure as well is because Sony fucked up even harder and tried to sell their shit for +$100 more, they overtook later that gen tho

the ps3 lost so hard that most of sony's first part studios went completely under

It lost the story.

it didn't, FH2 and FH3(when W10 was still a piece of shit unusable OS) were system sellers for it, which then tanked when they went the "also on PC" route, we can say it was financially successful for 3 years

Always online bullshit and retarded PR

When did Xbox ever succeed? They only managed to bait burgers at some extent. In the case of One, Microsoft fucked up the marketing and delivered weaker hardware, so weak they had to essentially release another console to not make it look bad.

>PS4 was $100 cheaper
>Always online bullshit
>That godawful E3 showing

True, the PS3 is Sony's greatest financial failure. However, the PS3 and Nintendo Wii both outsold Microsoft's most successful console, the Xbox 360.

Might get called biased but
>First console beats the Dreamcast and reaches parity with Nintendo
>Second console BTFOs the Playstation 3 for 5 years until Team Xbox goes full retard
>Third console is mediocre as fuck but still sells much better than the Wii U
>Fourth console is doing ok/10, a bit early to call

They haven't won a console gen yet but they've made a decent amount of money and not been last yet

Attached: 1631219347988.png (799x757, 878.03K)

It didn't fail. It did twice as well as the OG Xbox and that wasn't a failure.

Why would I buy an xbox over a ps4 when all of the games are on ps4 and the ps4 has even more?

Forza and Halo 5 are the only notable things the Bone ever had and Halo has been shit for years.

The PS4 was a much better option.

>Dreamcast
Literally DoA
>PS3
Lost in lifetime sales, despite being released one year earlier
>Wii U
Nintendo's biggest fuck-up after the Virtual Boy
>PS5
You can't even find one of these to buy. Microsoft is only selling something because they included a last gen console under disguise in their lineup that can actually be manufactured

You don't need to win to be a success. Is this a weird American thing?

E3 '13 was a disaster. They were exclusively focused on TV TV TV TV TV and didn't care about gaming at all. The few times they actually discuss gaming, it was to shill bad stuff like always-online and not being able to buy/resell used games.

The question is, why did they focus so hard on the TV bullshit? I've seen speculation that it was due to telemetry data MS collected on the 360 that showed tons and tons of people used it for media apps like Netflix, so they decided to push in that direction. Even though in reality, that usage could've been coming from girlfriends/wives/others in the household that weren't the primary owner, or it was being used in that way purely out of convenience, rather than anyone specifically buying an xbox purely as a netflix app. So marketing it in this manner was a huge mistake.

No good exclusives games. That's why they bought a bunch of shit. We'll see if it pays off this gen.

TV

I wonder what the landscape would've been like had microsoft continued to cater primarily to the main gamer customer base, rather than basically abandoning them halfway through the 360's lifespan in favor of casualfag kinect shovelware crap. The start of their slump wasn't with the launch of the xbone, it was years beforehand. 360 was trouncing the PS3, but then Mattrick took over, and they went asleep at the wheel and stopped putting out any new worthwhile games on the system, while at the same time giving sony breathing room to get their shit together, start putting out games, and actually eclipsing them by the end. xbone getting btfo by the ps4 was just the continuation of the trend from the second half of gen 7

There is literally a documentary on the official channel.
The short answer is this.

Attached: 1638367225862.jpg (150x225, 13.14K)

Thing is, it wasn't a success. Only the 360. And you don't need to lose to be a failure either.

The kinect thing and a lack of games.

huh, you just need to make your money and profit, only brainwashed consumers care about console wars and only power hungry ceos and market maniacs care about winning market leads

Without failure you don't learn anything

That's why the series is destroying the gaystation 5

People bought the PS3 despite all the blunders, so they probably figured everyone wanted a blu-ray player movies = TV!!!!

I was mainly talking about the 360. Downplaying it's success because it lost in "lifetime sales" is just odd to me.

TV TV TV TV ALWAYS ONLINE TV

I really doubt they managed to actually profit off the first Xbox with that hardware and that few sales.

PS3 actually showed the exact opposite. Sony was banking on people buying it early on purely as a (relatively) affordable way to play blurays, but that simply didn't work. PS3 didn't start recovering until after Sony changed strategy and actually tried convincing customers with games rather than with BD movies. By the time BDs and HDTVs were out, online streaming was already picking up pace as the preferred method of watching movies/TV/etc. And streaming/TV is also what the xbone went all-in on, rather than physical media

I don't think they learned that shit hardware is easier to produce and sell with the One, since it never sold. They are just figuring this out

yeah on my 360 i was using it for netflix because i had 1 console hooked up to my tv and wanted to watch netflix
nowadays netflix is built into your cable box
i noticed though around this time a lot of people moved from xbox to pc by the end of the 360's life
idk if that had anything to do with it

OG Xbox actually sold well. Problem is that it cost way too much money to make and it was sold at a big loss. (>$100)

>yeah on my 360 i was using it for netflix because i had 1 console hooked up to my tv and wanted to watch netflix
Exactly. It was just a matter of convenience. Nobody was going out buying 360s for the netflix app. It was just that since it was already hooked up, "eh, might as well use this for it". People could've just as easily used any number of devices for that purpose as well, but the 360 was already hooked up. Not to mention that around that time "smart" TVs were becoming standard, making the entire thing a moot point even IF there were people buying vidya consoles just for netflix streaming.