NEO TWEWY is missing from the TOP100 Famitsu CY 2021 chart

Why did the game flop in Japan?

Attached: neo-the-world-ends-with-you.large.jpg (1280x720, 235.42K)

Obsessed

The girls weren't waifuable enough. Japan ranks their media almost exclusively on the quality and amount of waifus.

>in Japan
lol

No one heard of it in Japan, but neither did the West since S-E bailed on the game before it was even out. I guess they sacrificed the entire marketing budget to fund that godawful anime and S-E USA sabotaged NEO, because they hate anime.

No good switch port
No steam port
No buy

>muh japan
Shut the fuck up faggot

The game flopped everywhere because Square Enix didn't market it.
>implying shoka isn't the biggest bait of 2021

it flopped everywhere

I'm playing it right now and I'm a the second scramble. Not really impressed with it as of now. The 3 main characters are extremely boring, they have nothing going on for them. Same could be said for the other team leaders. I don't know, the characters of the first game had so much more charm, internal conflicts and objectives. These 3 dumbasses look like they don't even care about being erased, they're completely disconnected from reality. Plus they have no party dynamic at all, nothing interesting or noteworthy to say most of the times. Thank god for Beat joining the party and the reapers spicing things up when they appear. Hopefully it gets better from now on but I don't see how that could happen when the characters keep on being this shallow.

Without spoiling much, NEO has a lot of really good character shit that doesn't become obvious until a second viewing. I'd argue the character arcs are just as good as the first, but because they handle things a bit subtler for most of the game it can be pretty easily missed the first time around.

It’s a sequel to a niche 2007 game that requires you to either play that or watch the anime. If the anime had been better, it would’ve sold considerably more.

>make an anime to promote the series
>the anime fucking SUCKS

>because Square Enix didn't market it.
Are you kidding? Not only did they make an entire anime to retell the first game specifically to advertise it coming out but they also released a demo that was front and center on the eShop and I believe the PS4 in addition to pushing Final Remix heavily at the time. Not to mention the western side of the internet got tons of articles talking about how the "Cult hit TWEWY" was getting a new game several times across a multitude of sites. It was also promoted on the Nintendo Direct if I remember right.

Then in Japan they literally had an entire AR thing within Shibuya that was going on from release up until late December where you could go to a bunch of stores and scan QR codes to get unique discussions between the party members and earn real life rewards with an app dedicated to it. They even paid for people to dress as Reapers and stand at landmarks and the stores that participated even changed their entire decor for it.

NEO TWEWY is not a case of poor advertisement.

Attached: Field Walk.jpg (1536x2048, 901.29K)

I just watched the first episode, holy shit, it's fucking atrocious

>Square Enix insisted on making it multiplatform instead of Switch Exclusive, meaning they miss out on Nintendo marketing the game for them
>SE then don't bother to market the game properly, not a single second of footage at E3 even
>Unsurprisingly, going multiplat doesn't work because it's a Nintendo handheld franchise so zero PS4 owners are interested. And PC gamers don't buy it because they'd rather sell out to Timmy and make it EGS exclusive.

Problem is I don't see myself playing this again honestly, battles are not that fun right now, although it's true that I still have to unlock stuff like multiple uber pins or multiple pins with the same input. Team battles suck monkey dick too, enemies spam 2 attacks and just run around like headless chickens.

The writing, most likely.

They marketed it. They just did a shitty job of it.
Should have made it Switch exclusive because I guarantee Nintendo would have done a better job than S-E ever could, especially outside of Japan. See also: Dragon Quest 9.

Except Nintendo did advertise it. It was not only in a Nintendo Direct (A 2 minute segment at that) but it was on the eShop's front page for weeks before and after release. If I remember right so was Final Remix AND they sent out a free several day full game trial of FR to all Switches.

>an entire anime to retell the first game specifically to advertise it coming out
The anime doesn't mention NEO TWEWY anywhere. It doesn't even include the A New Day story from the Switch version which connected NEO and OG TWEWY. All of the TWEWY anime merchandise on Square Enix's store is under a completely separate category from the NEO merchandise. If anything, the anime made NEO less well known since on of the few TV spots NEO got (implying anyone actually watches TV any more) was a 30 second shared ad with the anime.
>but they also released a demo that was front and center on the eShop and I believe the PS4
They didn't advertise this demo anywhere.
>in addition to pushing Final Remix heavily at the time.
Because of this, I knew a lot of people who thought NEO and Final Remix were the same game, since Final Remix acrually got more marketing than NEO did.
>Not to mention the western side of the internet got tons of articles talking about how the "Cult hit TWEWY" was getting a new game
There really weren't, and the vast majority of people don't read articles for games they're not already interested in unless there's some weird controversy happening.
>It was also promoted on the Nintendo Direct if I remember right.
Nope. NEO TWEWY didn't get a single second of time on any Nintendo direct, including the E3 direct right before release. The most it got was 3 seconds of a sizzle reel at the end of Squeenix's E3 presentation.
>Then in Japan they literally had an entire AR thing within Shibuya that was going on from release up until late December where you could go to a bunch of stores and scan QR codes to get unique discussions between the party members and earn real life rewards with an app dedicated to it.
Please consider that the number of people who are going to go out and play themed AR game in the very specific location of Shibuya available exclusively in Japan are a very, very small minority who likely already bought the game anyways.

>The girls weren't waifuable enough
Objectively wrong

Attached: Shoka art.jpg (800x938, 110.12K)

It flopped everywhere, not only the japan
Game looked like poor's people persona

If they wanted sales they would hire vtubers with 10M+ subscribers to advertise NEO TWEWY, not stage an offline Shibuya only event in the middle of pandemic. That might look like good marketing if you're a Square Enix suit suffering from dementia.

>muh marketing
no amount of marketing was ever going to get people excited for a graphically poor looking direct sequel to a 14 year old niche DS game