Games don't age

>Games don't age
Then explain this

Attached: Arx.jpg (460x215, 27.74K)

The "games don't age" meme is some of the purest boomer cope I've ever seen.

Explain what?
I've just replayed it a couple of months ago and it's still a "one of a kind" game.

Attached: reveal spell.webm (900x506, 2.9M)

>still looks good
>still plays good
what's the problem?

It's the case with every medium that people will mainly consume contemporary entertainment. Most people aren't watching films from the 40s or listening to music from the 17th century. Video games work the same way where people who are more invested in the medium are more likely to find an appreciation for older works, same way that film buffs are watching movies from the 40s.
Books, films, music and video games do age in a sense. Some people can get past that and appreciate older works anyway, some people can't.

>>still plays good
Nigger have you tried melee combat?

I bet OP thinks the ps1 tomb raider games are shit when they’re still incredible to this day. You’re showing your normie and it’s disgusting.

What is that webm supposed to convey? Had more fun with actually functional Dark Messiah or E.Y.E. spells

A secret unmarked questline

Explain what? It was shit then, and it's shit now. If you mean that it's a nightmare to run on modern OSes, yeah, but that's your fault for getting rid of your old hardware.

They don't age. Not figuratively and not literally. The work stays the same. The person viewing it can choose to be an ignorant retard stuck in his own time period, and if he does that's entirely his failing. "This game aged poorly" is just a covert way of saying "I'm too stupid to appreciate this and I don't know how to be objective".

I actually have no issue with that, Steam version works like a charm on Win 10
The melee combat and stealth are shit
Archery is useless
The game locks you from having actual useful spells for long too

>bro is you don't like old shit you are stoopid
Pretentious faggot

It was equally shit at release. People just had lower standards back then.

>Games don't age
People could mean two different things when they say this.
First is that the game no longer has the same impact on the player as the context by which one would play it today is different. As much as we'd like to imagine we are not afflicted with bias, invariably, we are. So when we play an old game we're playing it from the context of having played all the modern games out there that have in some way done some aspect of this game better and in that way the game feels "old" because its doing some thing we now see as obviously wrong, because we've seen the right way to do it, but back then no one even recognized it as a problem yet or knew the answer.

The other meaning is the games don't age is that the code doesn't magically change overtime and the bits and bytes that comprise the game don't degrade or transform, its the same game now as it was then. We changed, not the game.

Someone might say games don't age meaning the first one, but you hear it and think of the second or vice versa.

>If you mean that it's a nightmare to run on modern OSes, yeah
what is arx libertatis?

I played this when it came out and never finished it because there was something wrong with the casting system, there is a point where you need to use a spell to progress (iirc the snake lady wanted me to try out her spell) and it just wouldn't register my drawings properly.

I don't consider mods part of the game. If someone is saying a game has aged, I don't think a mod is relevant to that claim one way or another.

The only games that age are those that put grafics over gameplay and art direction and the people who buy games based on grafix are retards with the brain of a baby boomer in [current year]

>Games don't age
>game comes out
>its not a year old
>a year passes
>game is now a year old
How can anyone say games don't age?

Sure, what I meant by "they age in a sense" is that as context changes around them they seem further and further from what's contemporary. In the same way that the writing style in Victorian novels is very different from today. The books didn't age, but in a way they did. You can also look at how special effects "age" in that movies that seemed to look good when you first saw them can seem dated when viewed through a modern lens.
With games there are also developments and standardizations that can absolutely make a game seem clunkier when viewed today than when it first came out. Remember that even the extremely standard first person controller movement scheme with one stick to move and one stick to look around took time to become ubiquitous, so first person games before then definitely seem to have aged.
Don't get me wrong, lots of my favourite games are pretty old, and my favourite film is 75 years old but I can recognise that there are limitations and shortcomings present in those works that wouldn't be there if it were made today. They'd probably get fucked up in other ways, but that's neither here nor there.
I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say that not liking older works makes you a retard though. There are perfectly valid reasons for having a preference for more recent entertainment, especially with such a young and fast developing medium as video games. If you said Adventure was your favourite video game I'd just assume that you haven't played anything since 1980.

>mods
..it's the source code released by the devs and still actively patched. that's like calling zdoom and openmw a mod.

I played this for the first time about a month ago and loved it
Enjoy malding

Considering that games have gotten objectively worse, you actually would have to be retarded not to prefer older games.

What aged badly?

Melee combat mostly, it's horrible
But having archery and consitutions being useless too

Again, I disagree. I prefer Dark Souls 1 to Adventure even though DS1 was released 30 years later. DMC 5 is better than DMC 2. There are lots of ways modern games and the modern games industry suck, but there are still good and bad games out there in every era.

>what is arx libertatis?
A scam with a literal malware

Better than the "Snorting water increases FPS reflects". Its not even typed right. Theres no explanation to this shit, it is pure attention yearning baiting.