With most people starting fighting games on a controllers nowadays, why do motion controls exist? Let me back up...

With most people starting fighting games on a controllers nowadays, why do motion controls exist? Let me back up, I got into FGs around 2019 with MK11, and have been mostly a NRS player so far since the only FGs I messed around with was Inj2/MKX.

But recently I jumped into SFV and my god, these motion controls are completely counterintuitive to the functionality of a D-pad(ds4). I was already having hard enough time with adjusting to 6 button layout and a link combo system; since in MK everything is strings which don't require timing and it's far easier imo to execute special cancels on a sequence of attacks rather than a one button normal, especially light buttons into weird stuff like z motions. But whatever, with practice I think I can get better at links, but the motion control stuff, I mean wtf is this shit...

Zigzag, half circle, 3/4 circle, full circle, all of this was designed for arcade sticks, not pad. Like i've been messing around with a few chars in SFV and I keep getting gatekeeped by archaic controls. For example, Dhalsim instant air teleport on pad just seems impossible to me, practicing for days and I can't do it consistently. But if this was MK11 and I was running raiden, it would take me a second in training mode to master his teleport. Wtf is the point of keeping this boomer shit when arcades died like 30 years ago???? Yeah, I know i'm ranting but I just had to get this off my chest and if I go to reddit I would get down voted into oblivion by FGC boomers still thinking it's the 90s.

Attached: 1605094204475.jpg (480x360, 35.8K)

what you're doing now is like someone complaining about tying up their cleats gatekeeping them from playing in the nfl. lenient motion inputs you can get familiar with in an hour aren't holding you back, memorizing roster wide frame data and hit/hurtboxes is holding you back.

>motion controls
ARMS thread?

No one complained about motions when it was in a Tony Hawk game and those sold millions and millions of copies.

>Yeah, I know i'm ranting but I just had to get this off my chest and if I go to reddit I would get down voted into oblivion
Jesus christ, is this the mentality of redditfugees?

you roll your thumb on the dpad from down to forward for a quarter circle, for a z motion you press forward before rolling your thumb, that's 95% of motion inputs solved. it's a lot easier than memorizing strings in mk.

>anybody who doesn't dick suck motion controls is lying!
Boomer cope.

Different fighting games will play differently from each other to some capacity. You'll find you'll have a very different experience going from an NRS game to Street Fighter, and then again going to something like Tekken for example. Motion inputs just take practice, after a while you'll get the feel for them even when trying out a new character, as typically archetypal special moves will be given to certain motion inputs. It's just practice, I believe you can do it OP. This is really the easy part of fighting games, after all.

Even this is misleading. Yeah, z-motion in isolation is whatever. But go into training mode and do balrog light jab into his z motion special, both regular and ex, on a d-pad, then go into MK11 and do any string into special and it's blatantly obvious that MK11 is far more intuitive of a control scheme than trying to contort the d-pad to behave like something it isn't with SFV.

And sure, 30 years ago this would be understandable, but arcades died decades ago man. The ppl who played fighters from that era are in their 40s and they're a minority, controls for modern fighting games should be designed with pad in mind, not arcade stick. This just seems so obvious to me, like I don't understand how a non-boomer could think I'm being unreasonable here thinking the equipment that the majority use should be what devs prioritize.

Omg, I hate when you fgc boomers push this talking point. No fucker, it's not in my head or what I'm use to. There is a clear cut difference in say doing Dhalsim teleports in SFV vs doing teleports with raiden in MK11. I can go to youtube right fucking now and find video guides on teaching ppl how to Dhalsim teleport on pad or stick but I can't find one video, post, or anything from anybody needing a guide on how to execute a teleport in MK11, or any fucking special from that game. There is an objective, real difference here, STOP gaslighting people by implying it's in our imagination. And this is why it's impossible to have discussions like this on reddit, because until you miserable old boomers fucking die off, it's practically sacrilege to say that maybe 90s shit that was designed for equipment that is no longer used by the majority should be updated to function more intuitively with modern equipment. And you FGC types wonder why NRS outsells the shit out of street fighter.

It's not in your head, it's just practice. No need to be so angry about it man.

you're a dumb nigger.

Motion inputs are almost entirely just different circle fractions. Half of these fucking games have gattling or even auto combo so combos are easy. Everything is either based sf, tekken, or guilty gear. Straight up there is like just 3 types of fighting games, so you learn one youve learned many. You just learned how to play gg? Now you can play bb, melty, undernight. Just learned sf? You can play dark stalkers, or any snk game (except samurai showdown what the fuck). Even if youre having a hard time, chances are your friends will have an equally hard time so theyll be on your level.

Fighting games arent hard. Most people just assume that they are because they are just too lazy to take time to learn them. Instead theyll continue play fps and racing games because they look simple: you shoot guys, you steer a car. But theyre not necessarily any easier.

Nrs games aren't actual fighting games. They're party games with fg elements like smash and anime arena fighters. Sfv is your actual first taste at playing a fg.

I started playing fighting games exclusively because I wanted to use an arcade stick. One of the reasons I want to get into flight/space sims is to use a flight stick.
People underestimate the appeal of peripherals.

That's fine, but games looking for mass audience appeal shouldn't be designed with obscure peripherals in mind. It's 2022, not 1994. There is no reason why Street Fighter shouldn't adopt MK style of doing special moves execept for old miserable boomers kvetching.

i do wonder how it feels playing on a full fightstick instead of on a gamepad
>t. plays on gamepad yet still doesn't complain about motion inputs

kys

There's a dozen games with little or not motion controls. Go play those instead of crying like a little bitch and trying to change a proven formula.
>Hurr I just got into FPS with CoD and FPS were I have to find sources of healing are too hard, we should just have every FPS ever have regenerating health.

Nothing of those motion were necessary to play or enjoy the game. A gatekeeping motions in a game would be like Driver tutorial

Bro you know that people still use fight sticks on console right? And that arcades are still alive in Japan? Casuals are not the target audience, if they were you'd be getting catered to and special inputs would be one button like smash bros.

Interesting point OP, I always see tourny fags say simpler, common sense controls won't help new players get into FGs, yet NRS games sell the most and they use only directional inputs to pull special moves off and preset combos. Hmm, I wonder what the excuse will be when Project L far outsells SF6.

Mortal Kombat had simple inputs back when it was in arcades competing with street fighter. Motion inputs are not a relic of a bygone era, they're balance tools for keeping you from doing a one frame uppercut the moment you see your opponent flinch. If all specials were instant to input you wouldn't need confirm into them with quicker moves.

Tekken is the most difficult game I’ve played so far, finally forced me to learn stick.

Attached: E1FBDA39-6613-41D1-9963-546FE157CC32.png (500x319, 182.86K)

Yeah if you don't play with two fingers on the pad, Tekken is unplayable without stick.

Tekken is the easiest fighting game out right now, what are you talking about

I think that 2D fighting game players think tekkens hard because it works on totally different rules since it's a 3d fighter. Not necessarily harder but they don't have that background to work off so if feels like a new mountain to climb

I thought gatekeeping was based and redpilled though.