Sega Saturn didn’t deserve to fail

Sega Saturn didn’t deserve to fail

Attached: C0E052E4-AFD7-4556-BF61-959AE80CDD5C.jpg (640x347, 32.79K)

still makes me seethe that it's not backwards compatible with the genesis.

I'll take "It wouldn't have saved the console" for 500, Alex.

it wouldn't have saved the console but it would have made it much more appealing to consumers

why did sega cannibalize itself to death

saturn being able to be an all-in-one genesis/scd/32x unit before it even got its own library would've been a killer move, it's a shame sega didn't capitalize on that

PlayStation should have failed fr fr low key.

Think about it. Sony forced themselves into the industry, forced the adoption of CD media (which they invented so they get a fee from it) but weren't the first to do it (PC Engine CD/Sega CD. Then they start shit again with PS2, pushing DVD (which they get a fee from) and that caused Microsoft to step in and force themselves into the industry too. Microsoft basically cemented the idea of game patches and paid online. Meanwhile Sega dies, which was a highly creative group and incredibly experimental. Basically every good thing we have today is because of Sega and Nintendo (who worked with each other selling each other's arcades in the 70s) pushing their fake console war to encourage developers to try harder. And everything bad we have today is from Sony and Microsoft who basically kicked back to let third parties make money for them and release uninspired PC boxes that run unfinished games as the norm.

Should I get a Saturn to PC controller for Saturn emulation?

Get the retrobit Saturn usb controller. It's officially and great build.

Yuji Naka pitching a shitfit over STI using the NIGHTS engine for Sonic Xtreme basically killed Sega as a console maker, I'm almost glad Balan Wonderworld flopped

It did, too many chips.
You could replace half of em by a powerful DSP and get something more powerful on the other side.

What's the P4P BEST Saturn emulator?

>puts savegames on time-limited battery backup and tries to hide the fact that memory cards exist
Yes it did.
Yes it FUCKING did.

They deserve it for being retarded, But the Gunbird port was fine.

Attached: Gunbird.jpg (872x607, 124.77K)

I didn't get a Saturn until later on.
I absolutely love the controller, and now that I'm into "shitty quarter munchers" I have a lot of games I enjoy.
It's easy to see why it didn't light that world on fire though.
I was a hardcore Nintendie at that point anyway. Wasn't going to touch anything Gayga with its homo hedgehog, and Sony makes Walkman's, what do they know about consoles. The choice is obvious.
It was a different time.

It was sort of the last of an age. It put a lot of tech into being a roided up continuation of the previous gen4 instead of being something new. Nintendo threw out the old to be entirely new and made just as many hardware mistakes but got by on the trends and being Nintendo. Sony split the different and had both the old and new ideas in one place.

It could have done better if Sega didn't fuck itself, had made tech choices that make sense, and focused on it being an at home arcade machince which it nearly was. But that is a lot of if.

Seconding retrobit. Used the wireless one and its good, responsive, and feels pretty close to the originals. I wish the plastic wasn't so clacky and loud but if I'm honest that was an issue with the originals as well. Great dpad but sort of cheap plastic.

Sega was on some shit when they made the 32x.

Sega was an American company made by a Jew, what do you expect.

does the saturn have any dreamcast type mods? Like gdemu or dchdmi level mods. It would be cool to build one and have the whole saturn library on it.

>an entire generation of games that will never be rereleased
Weird that Nights is the only one to escape the Saturn graveyard to get a port in the HD era. Some other games got ported to the PS2 like Dragon Force and Dynamite Deka so why haven't more been ported by now?

the lack of backwards compatibility was an unfortunate relic of sega's original plan, where the saturn was supposed to be off on its own as a high-end "home arcade" product (like the neo geo) while the 32x/mars was supposed to be the successor to the genesis.

No games