Is is possible to create a mixture of both Morrowinds and Dark Souls combat system...

Is is possible to create a mixture of both Morrowinds and Dark Souls combat system? Morrowinds skill based RNG + Dark Souls animation quality and control scheme.

Attached: 1643619583218.png (512x512, 306.13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tyl_Uwwe5A0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

More importantly would such a system be fun?

>low stamina, low agility, or just low agility
>try to roll
>high chance to fail and fall over on your back
lol sounds fun actually

I hope not. Fallout 3 is a testament to how shitty rng accuray in an action game can be.

Is that a problem with the concept or the execution though?

one is an old school role of the dice rpg. the other an action game. so, no.

Ah yes the skill based rng

You are asking for the golden balance between RPG core and fundamentals of Morrowind and player agency of a well polished action game?
In current year?

yes balancing stat weights is a skill

>mixing two shit battle systems to create an even shittier one
Sure, why not

I think the idea is fundamentally misguided. I think it is important for games to maintain a consistent level of abstraction, the idea that different mechanics, controls as well as presentation should be speaking the same language. Morrowind already gets huge amounts of flak for kinda sorta playing like an action game and thus giving an entirely different impression to the entirely stats-based system deep down, you only propose to make the gulf vastly worse.

But whether it CAN be done, of course it can be done. As you provide an input, the game can make arbitrary number of checks before starting or opting not to start (some) animation, and as a hit connects, it can do arbitrary calculations to determine the outcome, including rolling for hit chance or anything else you might want to include.

Doesn't Dragons Dogma work like this?

Yes. As in the skills of the character affecting the dice rolls.

This is a pretty good answer. I understand what you mean by having a cohesive design language. I'm not sure it would be so inconsistent though. I'm assuming this is another game entirely or perhaps a modern Morrowind remake or something similar.

Really I'm envisioning a Demons Souls like 3rd person melee combat with Morrowind style skill calculations. Like Morrowinds character skills based combat system but with DS's visceral meaty feeling attacks and animation quality. I don't think in practice it would feel all that strange. Certainly not at strange as Morrowinds combat system; which I think is due to a lack of proper animation as to blocks, hits, glancing blows, critical hits etc.

Play Mass effect and world of tanks.
In both you have a mix of player agency and character/tank crew skill that impacts the action based shooting combat.

Attached: hit chance.png (1653x951, 174.04K)

no that sounds like ass. if you wanted to insert morrowind combat into souls it should be the big wacky spellbook and bag of many potions, not the fucking rng

What I'm saying is: From the players perspective it wouldn't really feel like RNG. Due to the animation system telegraphing all misses, blocks, counters etc. A low level player character going up against a high level bandit NPC; for example; aught to feel like fighting a skilled combatant who is just better than you are. Blocking almost all of your attacks and never letting you through his defences. Until you flee from his hideout only to return a couple levels later. Now evenly matched and able to land some blows and finally coming out on top. Again all supported by an animation system so everything is clearly telegraphed to the player. In a satisfyingly crunchy way like Demons Souls.

So you're saying rpg combat but with appropriate animations. Could totally work.

This is what I mean. Morrowind skill calculation combat with a modern Demons Souls animation and sound system skinned over the top.

>So you're saying rpg combat but with appropriate animations. Could totally work.

Basically yeah. But with emphasis on the appropriate animations being modelled after Demons Souls style crunchy, satisfying combat. The reason I keep making this point about From Software games is because I don't believe their combat is all that special. I think the difference is made with how those games are animated and how attack commitment functions. Look up combat animation overhauls on Youtube. For example: youtube.com/watch?v=Tyl_Uwwe5A0

ah yes, like poker?

Of course it's possible, it would just be extremely unfun

>mixture of both Morrowinds and Dark Souls combat system
yes it is called Gothic

>morrowind
>all that matters is character skill
>dark souls
>all that matters is player skill
>dude what if we like combined them?????

Attached: 1595736905622.gif (500x350, 686.26K)

Both of those statements arent entirely true.

It's still going to feel like shitty RNG when I line up a perfectly accurate strike in real-time only to have the miss animation play out because of a low hit roll regardless of how well I aimed.

I guess that's what elden ring is trying to push, but less in the direction of skilling up every 30 jumps and more in adopting a more open world game design as with elder scrolls. It will probably be a step in the wrong direction since one of the souls series main strengths was it's its limited, conservative and restrictive level design.

If you want a souls esqe game with a level up and class system play dragons dogma, but be warned it sucks.