Video games would be more fun if there were no wikis and players couldn't just look up meta guides and walkthroughs...

Video games would be more fun if there were no wikis and players couldn't just look up meta guides and walkthroughs. Prove me wrong.

Attached: Wiki.png (1200x1095, 435.9K)

Play unpopular indie games with no wikis.

Sure, and the world would be a better place if people didn't just fight each other for resources or selfishness. What's your point?

>Video games aren't fun because I can't control myself not to read wiki

It's not myself that has that problem, it's the other players.

Don't read the wiki then?

I only use wikis if I have to get passed a game breaking bug

Ok so how does that ruin your experience

It means players are cheating / looking at the game like a list of boxes to tick off.

So what you don't have to care about how others play

I do in online multiplayer games of any kind.

I can't, because you are right. The only acceptable online help should be text files on gamefaqs used as an absolute last resort.

Attached: E1ACAD4A52F2448D9CB87939A35B71E0.jpg (750x1291, 232.65K)

I agree that everything being easily looked up online does ruin certain types of gameplay. The solution is to make playing the game not dependent on your knowledge.

>The solution is to make playing the game not dependent on your knowledge.
Has it been done before, particularly for online multiplayer games? I think the closest is the survival crafting genre when playing around server wipe, but outside of that I can't think of any game that managed to really pull this off, which is a shame.

This is what ruined Overwatch, every match faggots would play with whatever gay strategy the guy on youtube said to use and your teammates would sperg out if you didn't join them

Doesn't matter for single-player.
For multi, when it applies, you're always playing with metafags, there is no exception.

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Honestly, I've said this before elsewhere but the best solution to this is for developers to acknowledge the fact that if they don't provide at least a breadcrumb of knowledge to reasonably deduce a solution, people WILL just look it up - and conclude that providing the information themselves is better.
Look at Monster Hunter Rise, they did the right thing by just telling players drop rates on materials in game, rather than making them resort to wikis and shit.

What about strategy guides and guides that came with games

If you want to ruin your experience of the game go right ahead, but that's what you're doing if you use those

Simple. People who make games don't need to design them with Wikis and guides in mind, and it's up to players to decide how they play a game. if you want to play without a guide, then go ahead. If someone else wants to play with a guide, that doesn't affect how you play and enjoy them.

prove me wrong.

and how does that ruin YOUR experience?
You just can't stand other people having fun their own way?

then why the fuck do you care how other people experience things?

>If someone else wants to play with a guide, that doesn't affect how you play and enjoy them.
It does if we're talking about multiplayer games, which are also ultimately going to be designed with the idea that people will use wikis and guides.

Because we live in a capitalist society and what people buy, invest time in, and demand from companies affects others in the long run.

What I would say is that you can or should no longer design stuff like multiplayer games or MMOs on the basis that people will have to communicate to solve problems that aren't explained adequately by the game itself; always assume that if you don't provide enough information yourself to go on, the player is more likely to look the answer up online than ask another player. It's better to either provide the player with just enough info to solve it themselves, or just give players all the information off the bat.
If you want to enforce or encourage competition or cooperation between players, do it via the actual gameplay - make it so you physically need multiple players interacting to do stuff.