Modern graphics for the most part suck

Modern graphics for the most part suck.
Yeah, they make photorealistic textures or whatever, but that was already done in stalker in 2008 or something.
Nobody makes really impressive stuff like physics in mgr or animation in games from arcsys.

Attached: 1445619856129.webm (800x450, 2.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/AtM3PGyiQUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

now post mgr

That's how things have been for the past 15 years or so.

Passion was replaced with business style practica-production of sellable products, gameplay innovations had to make room for easy to market visuals and "safe", proven tropes. All while the "casuals" became bigger and bigger target audience, resulting an outright massacre of entire franchises and genres for the sake of fitting into the mold.
It was well over a decade ago that I knew this would be the new grim future, when one of the then-latest CoDs was marketed with silly details like soft-smoke simulation (already done in STALKER years prior) or fish AI (done by fucking the Mario 64 in 1996), all while the core gameplay was the same "cinematic" shooter-guy meme trash with regen-health and QTEs we'd come to expect from the IP at that point.

Which is why the few magnificent titles from the late 2010s, such as Breath Of The Wild and Death Stranding, really surprised me positively. They dared to challenge the standards, and provide less patronizing, more open-ended gameplay, that encouraged exploration, experimentation and problem solving. They made the world and terrain a "main character", and made it more "alive" with various interactive systems, that could create tons of emerging gameplay.

In terms of visual animation splendor, I still can't get over how gorgeous the character movements in Nier Automata are. It's generally a great art-design > tech muscles showcase, packing a beautiful visual desing that supports the themes and style.

Attached: 1607993876517.webm (540x304, 2.93M)

I've been saying this for a long time.

We need to invest in PHYSICS ENGINES.

That will lead to both new gameplay mechanics, and much much more immersion than these fucking raytracing memes

>That will lead to both new gameplay mechanics, and much much more immersion than these fucking raytracing memes
This was done a ton of times in the ps3 gen and late ps2. every other week a game was announced with Havok or Physx, or Euphoria, Red Faction Guerilla was physics-based. It just led to shit falling apart like tissue paper.

>that was done a ton of times when games were actually good

??????

I have this one.
Graphics downgraded, but physics are the same.

Attached: 1631632126098.webm (600x338, 2.62M)

>nostalgia for ps3 era
Zoomer fucking faggot.

what gayme?

high quality post and TRUE

>shit falling apart
>ps2 and ps3
Yeah.
mgr came out in 2013 and is still very impressive.
My point is that fuck all the useless graphics when you can have some really cool impressive tech stuff.
Most modern games only look good until you start interacting with world.
For the same reason source games are still great.
youtu.be/AtM3PGyiQUc

I love MGR but I wouldn't call the physics complex or weight-based. From a technical standpoint, being able to handle all of the generated objects and the player-chosen cuts is awesome, but I've always been underwhelmed when games try to use "physics". Atm, the problem has not been solved, and I don't think it's something that can have as wide use as lighting. The amount of RAM required to hold objects also led to no quick sub-weapon switching in MGR btw.

>lighting bolt action

Attached: 1643717894917.gif (360x360, 1.5M)

1. thats a dumb argument 2. i can lie a sliced up plane on a 3d anatomy model as fucking clothing... i think we're far closer than third world retards were.

cutting shit was amongst the most fun things to do in MGRR. it would have been great if the actual game had employed the physics of cutting fully to make combat and situations more tactical.
it would have been a great main mechanic.

And yes, devs could do the work and start solving the problem but I think it'll only get more and more resource-intensive to the point that they'll give up again. BOTW has some of the best interactions out there so it's not like some progress hasn't been made.

It's not a dumb argument. You're suggesting that devs do something *some* devs have been doing for the past like 15 years and acting like it's new. There was a time where people thought that Force Unleashed had revolutionary physics because you could blast wood apart but the pieces flew apart like ragdolls with no weight behind them.

Time for you to find a new hobby, chud.

Sure, I'll get one where I shove around paper with a leaf blower and call it a physics engine

>I don't think it's something that can have as wide use as lighting.
It shouldn't.
It's just an example of how games can use technology to dramatically change your experience of a game.
Instead of mgr in this discussion it could be something like half life.
Most modern games look good and modern as long as you don't touch keyboard.
From modern I can only remember mud on weapons and terrain deformation in one of more recent battlefields.

too bad the actual MGR didn't look like this and you'd hack away at grunts with zero impact unless you turned on bullettime-slide-and-dice
what a wasted opportunity

>you'd hack away at grunts with zero impact unless you turned on bullettime-slide-and-dice
Buy Fox Blade