Left is Game Informer's top 35 games of all time from 2001, right is the same publication's list 17 years later

Left is Game Informer's top 35 games of all time from 2001, right is the same publication's list 17 years later.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 02-24-09 Imgur The magic of the Internet.png (725x913, 305.82K)

>first list doesn't have xcom: ufo defense
>second list doesn't have dark souls
yikes

This would indicate that they hired younger editors given the influx in gen 7 games. However that does not make sense given that A Link to the Past goes up by 22 spots, as well as FF6 going up. Since they likely never played them

There’s no way you can justify Street Fighter II, Doom, A Link to the Past, Pac-Man, Super Mario Kart, Tetris & Galaga you have that many new games there, especially ones from the same franchise or genre that are better in every way. Those are always dead givaways when you know someone’s full of shit and trying to be “objective” by appealing to influence rather than actually liking a game

Correct, when people think about "top 10 games" they usually try to appeal to an influentiality and "quality for its time" aspect.
It's really annoying, because I am usually more concerned with "what is the most fun game" rather than whatever irrelevant historical context they are trying to appeal to.

First list is better though uneven, but both suffer from a reflexive need to fellate Zelda and Mario as if they're the best ever and nothing will ever surpass them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, why are you dragging A Link to the Past into this? It's for real one of my favorite Zelda games, enjoy it more than Ocarina/Majora and BotW. The only ones I might consider better are Link's Awakening or A Link Between Worlds which is essentially the sequel anyway.

You’re a knuckle-dragging moron. You have to weigh legacy value/impact as a criteria, because otherwise your list would have a massive recency bias.

>both suffer from a reflexive need to fellate Zelda and Mario as if they're the best ever and nothing will ever surpass them.
You have to, because they’re the only franchises with enough good will to withstand being in the top spot. Any game you call the greatest game of all time is going to get dragged and torn down. And Mario and Zelda have been two of the most iconic and influential video game franchises for 4 decades.

>You have to weigh legacy value/impact as a criteria
You don't "have" to do anything, midwit.
I am speaking prescriptively in that these lists are just jerkoff material and provide no real utility beyond shallow entertainment and validation for people who have formed fanboy-levels of attachment to the entities on the list.

Attached: 1631008153280.png (400x225, 108.37K)

Street Fighter 2, Doom and Tetris should absolutely be in the list. SF2 is the definitive 2D arcade fighter, that defined the genre. Doom is the granddaddy of the FPS genre. And Tetris is one of the most successful and long lasting games of all time, that also helped to popularise handheld gaming on the Gameboy.

You’re a massive fucking pleb.

Has anyone ever told you you're not nearly as smart as you think you are? Little tip, read the last sentence.

>The superpower you were born with was the ability to know the contents of game magazine "Top [x] games" lists before you even read them
It's not fair
I wanted heat vision

>Legend of Zelda #1 on 2001 list.
>Metroid #6
>Contra #13
>Mike Tyson's Punch Out #14
Genuinely retarded, even 20+ years ago, >Old good.

Attached: 1613996238732.jpg (762x574, 29.66K)

I’m sure your list is just jerkoff material, but the actual purpose that a list like this serves is reverence for the legacy and impact of genre and generational defining games that pushed the industry forward. They help to educate newcomers to the hobby about what came before, and why they mattered. A newcomer playing Fortnite isn’t going to know or care about a 40 year old game, but it’s important that we collectively acknowledge the impact they had.

Play Fortnite

Explain why it's important to collectively acknowledge the impact of a video game released 40 years ago.

What gets me is Tetris is somehow still in the same place.

Because our history matters. Unless you’re a nihilistic zoomer who thinks the world revolves around you. A list appraising and reviewing the history of the video game industry serves the same utility it does in every other medium. People’s contributions that shaped our hobby matter.

You didn't answer my question.

Yes I did. People’s contributions to the world matter, because they shape our lives in the present. You only enjoy what you enjoy because of what came before. And it’s worth having respect for that. In any medium, sport or art form - we try to respect important achievements and contributions.

>Yes I did.
No, you didn't.
I've asked you why it mattered, your reply is that it it just does.