Fact: You can't make a horror game without filling it with tons of jumpscares

Fact: You can't make a horror game without filling it with tons of jumpscares
>b-but muh spooky atmosphere
Might as well call Bioshock or Bloodborne horror games in that case

Attached: maze game.jpg (642x481, 19.53K)

If it's short enough, you can make it 100% spooky atmosphere and there won't be enough time for the audience to get acclimated.

system shock 2 managed to be a good horror game relying entirely on atmosphere and having enemies unpridictably show up anytime anywhere

Impending doom can be pretty terrifying even if you see it coming—no, especially when you see it coming. In Alien: Isolation, you often know the alien is right there, and even when you're doomed, it's still several seconds of dreadful anticipation as it runs up to you. Take all the traditional jumpscares out of the game and it would still have its horror.
The moon in Majora's Mask is a good example in a non-horror game; a horror game with more focus on those kinds of gradual, nebulous threats could work.

This
Which is why the best horror games aren't longer than a few hours tops

>girl wants to go to my place and play vidoe agmes
>i tell her we're playing the best bone chilling jump-scare-free atmospheric character driven slow burn horror game from team silent
>she starts doing this

Attached: 1642436186740.webm (608x1080, 2.57M)

>my tounge rolls out.
>I begin to slurp it up.

jumpscares are an important part of the process of tension, suspense, and release
the right way is to make threatening enemies and sudden encounters
the wrong way is making pre-rendered scarey monsters teleport in front of the center of the screen accompanied by a stock stinger sound that's 80 decibels louder than everything else in the game

bioshock is filled with jumpscares though

>You can't make a horror game without filling it with tons of jumpscares
>What is Darkwood

what the fuck is that a deepfake of evangeline lily?

Bioshock is supposed to be scary?

Jesus, finally a wetting whore that isn't as flat as a book.

Attached: 1643037259273.jpg (1024x576, 113.94K)

It makes several attempts, yeah. It's definitely meant to be at least horror-leaning, and goes full on horror several times.

Attached: q5aaozmtlxr51.jpg (1920x1080, 152.89K)

why was P.T. good?

>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Attached: 1567730875658.jpg (1024x768, 85.86K)

If you think about it, Amnesia doesn't have any traditional jumpscares, nothing jumps at your face screaming. There are moments where there are musical stings and loud sounds, but I really don't count those as "jumpscares"

Fact: OP can't stop sucking dick. Unless he downs a gallon of manjuice, he can't even feel human.

being startled is not horror

you totally would, wouldn't you.

Attached: 1643346507512.jpg (500x293, 17.36K)

Shadow Man had no jumpscares and it was still a dark, unsettling game.

Attached: shadow-man.jpg (412x500, 54.1K)

Faggot, atmosphere, visual and sound design is 90% of horror. Jumpscares have become the laziest and most pathetic method of achiving a scare. Which is disappointing since done right with build up and misdirection one or two jumpscares can be earned and done effectively.

Attached: the-thing-blood-test.gif (498x210, 749.51K)

How did Mac not get infected here

Kurt's alpha genes held it at bay.

Attached: images.jpeg-103.jpg (480x640, 52.2K)