Make 1 (ONE) good argument in favour of weapon/armor degradation in games like Fallout or Breath of the Wild

Make 1 (ONE) good argument in favour of weapon/armor degradation in games like Fallout or Breath of the Wild.

I'll wait.

Attached: 1607395132651.jpg (231x249, 5.21K)

It makes you mad lmao

makes the game more "challenging" and hence more "fun"

makes the game more "challenging" and hence more "fun"

it works in SaGa and it works in minecraft. everything else its shit

bot synchronicity
this is not a drill
bots have been posting to Any Forums for years, now you see them interacting

nigger

nigger

Game design.

>Fallout or Breath of the Wild
These two are vastly different. Degradation in Fallout isn't really that big a deal but it's annoying as fuck in BOTW.

I didn't hate it in botw. It certainly didn't make anything better though. If anything it made everything "oh, yeah, another...this thing"

Raises engagement since it forces you to be smart about your tactical choices.

For games like Fallout, it's taking place in a future Earth where guns and blades cannot be properly maintained, or where they're janky, barely held together junk guns. In our world, armor and weapons have always needed to be maintained. It adds to the survival thing, immersion thing. They're getting mud and dirt and sand and all kinds of other things that damage the mechanisms in a gun. Blades get dull and and chipped and whatever else happens to them. In STALKER, if your gun degrades too much, it'll jam more often. Or, if you buy the fucking L85, it'll jam all the time regardless.

Breath of Wild, idk, I only play good games.

I kinda like it in Fallout New Vegas specifically. It's not hard to eventually gain the skill to repair the item or to get a new one. It gives you a reason to hoard or use new items from time to time.

Attached: waitaminutethatcard.png (848x599, 290.51K)

Weapon degradation really killed BOTW for me.

I know there's probably plenty more examples, but those are the only two games that I currently can think of that have degradation systems in them. I guess technically Dwarf Fortress is another one, but is virtually not noticeable in regular play.

>They're getting mud and dirt and sand and all kinds of other things that damage the mechanisms in a gun.

I'm no gun-person, but I thought the #1 problem is the inside metal parts of the gun twisting and bending as they overheat from continuous use?

Same, even at the worst of times, it's really not that big a deal to begin with and it helps to diversify weapon and armor usage. It also helps to soft-counter just using OP heavy weapons (aside ammo scarcity) at inappropriate levels and just cheese the whole game.

Sure that's a problem, but in an apocalyptic setting, or a war setting, you have to consider what else happens to guns, and why they're manufactured which such high emphasis on reliability. Best gun for example in an apocalyptic setting like fallout is probably AKs because those things will apparently work even after you put them through a torture test and they're rather cheap.

>it works in minecraft
it does not.
you use an iron sword until you get mending, then you get an enchanted megasword that lasts forever. the existance of mending is a tacit admission of weapon/tool degradation being a bad idea in itself.

My dominant concern regarding weapons is ammo scarcity. I'll use whatever gun I have the most bullets for. Fuck reliability when you can only shoot it 5 times anyway.