Simple combat is better

I prefer playing a game with 1-hit kills like Hotline Miami, or a game with less moves but meaty sword strikes that have a lot of impact and damage like Sekiro, over a game like DMC 5 where you have to use all these different moves and you don't feel like you're doing any damage unless you're in a huge combo. Complex doesn't mean better, the mantra of the 80s arcade was "simple to learn, hard to master". I think games like that are the best, people knew their shit in 1982. Robotron 2084 is a more challenging and fun game than DMC but it only has one move: shoot in 8 directions

Attached: 1643616241108.jpg (435x440, 61.24K)

Yeah, I could never get into dmc, what is the point of learning millions of combos in that game? I don't care at all about style meter.

My problem isn't rankings, I played a lot of Hotline Miami to A+ every level and I think ranking systems add a lot to a game to make it more replayable. I just think the gameplay of DMC suffers from being so combo-centric, mainly because even grunt enemies have inflated HP to allow for long-ass combos and individual strikes feel like wet toilet paper strength because of that. It's even worse in bosses.

I agree, it is not satisfying to fight enemies if you feel like your attacks barely do anything. People say play nuGoW on max difficulty if you want challenge, but with inflated hp bars game just becomes boring. That's what doom eternal and souls games managed to do right - be challenging without inflating enemy health.

Complex systems offer more variety which is more fun for some people. I like combat which gives me sandbox freedom of how I want to approach a battle.

Never liked being graded with a style meter either, I'd rather games let me choose to be stylish or practical. I think Sekiro had my ideal amount of depth.

Attached: sekino3.webm (800x450, 2.94M)

so none?

Even if you do care about style meter, you don't have to use literally 90% of the moveset. The vast majority is fluff.
>Stinger
>Launch
>Stab-jump-stab
>One big hitting move
Just cycling those WILL get you to S rank if you also dodge, and WILL get you to SSS if you do the big move when already at S

DMC1 and 3 both have a pretty limited but balanced moveset, and you can play those focusing only on killing shit as fast as possible and still have a good time with it. Same thing applies to DMC5, where you can choose how many weapons to equip as Dante.

>prefer playing a game with 1-hit kills like Hotline Miami,
Congrats you have shittaste and retardation. Fucking adhd retard
>what is heaven and hell

so barely any at all?

I do believe in the simplicity mantra of the arcade era in many cases, but in some games, not just DMC but in some other action games and fighting games, the act of building combos and stretching the boundaries of a game's systems is enriching to me. I like to figure out if I can get from this move to that move in this situation and do this much damage, it's like a little self-imposed puzzle, and pulling it off on the fly in real gameplay is just a bonus of the discovery.

Attached: 1642021923505.jpg (1244x750, 320.02K)

>a game like DMC 5 where you have to use all these different moves and you don't feel like you're doing any damage unless you're in a huge combo
You haven't played the game. You don't do combos for damage. Half the characters have a single, concise melee moveset and all of them have huge damage dealing attacks. Dante's super form even has an insta-kill move and a move that hits everything on the screen for like half a minute.

Stop commenting on things you haven't played.

Fucking this
Both Nero and V shit with damage to compensate their small moveset compared to Dante. And Dante has entire super duper mode dedicated to dishing out damage and aoe screen clearing attacks

this
i'd also add that DMC5 and most of capcom's games by extension have fantastic feedback on attacks compared to most, likely owing to their experience with fighting games, so i don't know where the "feeling weak" thing is coming from

watch out for the word "bloat" in this thread
that word is the number one cope by people who cannot wrap their head around action games that don't explicitly tell you the most effective answers all the time

It's specifically Itsuno as to why DMC3-5 and Dragon's Dogma have such good feedback, as he directed fighting games for the first several years of his career. Stuff like Rival Schools, Power Stone, and CvS2.

It's why the rumor that he's directing the Final Fight Remake has me excited. That game already had good feedback and some combo options back in 1989, Itsuno pulling more out of it would be great.

long combo strings are actually usually inefficient since most combos damage is loaded into the last hit
DMC is alot like THPS is regards to it dumping you into a level with some goals and then pretty much leaves it to you to figure out how to go about your gameplay flow
Also DMC is incredibly intuitive to learn, most weapons attacks have similiar functions based on the input(forward+attack on the ground is an attack that charges forward, back+attack is a launcher) and you usually have like 3 moves to start and unlock the rest through the style meter or buying them at statues one at a time
finding what interactions work well and executing them properly is fun, my first time playing DMD on DMC3 the only way I figured out how to deal with enigmas was to use pierce to lock them in place then dive kick and swap to my 2nd weapon, while eventually I figured out stuff like nevan, quicksilver, spiral etc on replays
also your sword strikes in sekiro are wet noodles outside of your deathblows even if the "dance" between slapping them with your sword inbetween parries is fun, I still prefer royal guard in comparison but both are fun

Have you played any fighting games?

The issue with CUHRAYZEE games like DMC is that the movelist is largely for variety's sake. But that's rarely the case in a fighting game.

Attached: 1642384985906.webm (762x420, 2.93M)

>the movelist is largely for variety's sake
The moveset is always built with functionality in mind first, even though sometimes they can fuck up the balancing.

i think this is the only webm of this shitty smash ripoff ive scene that wasnt just a touch of death combo roundstart

>DMC 5 where you have to use all these different moves and you don't feel like you're doing any damage unless you're in a huge combo
That's kinda the point. The damage in DMC combos are deliberately weak so you can keep doing them. Killing the enemy is kinda like, unsatisfying in that sense.