Why did the game over screen die?

Why did the game over screen die?

Attached: file.png (1300x1065, 1.19M)

It doesn't actually serve any purpose in games that aren't in arcades. There's no real design reason to end the game instead of just restarting them at some point, be it the start of the level or a checkpoint or whatever.
I'm all for having penalties for death, but unless the game is a roguelike where death basically deletes your character, then game overs and even the concept of "lives" is utterly worthless and outdated.

it kind of breaks immersion sometimes

>Game Over
>Game's still running
Fucking false advertising...

Attached: 1386109093588.jpg (646x455, 77.49K)

It's a micro aggression

But they didn't? Game Over screens only don't exist in games that don't have "game over" state, like GTA or Bioshock, just to name a few.

It's not about purpose, it's about being a staple of videogames that shows you still have some sovl left.

It's a failure of game design

is it?
using it for scoring is still a valid challenge.

People who write that shit unironically think that being able to lose a game is bad design

removing fail states is the only failure of game design in this conversation.

Because games don't have lives anymore. People seem to see lives as nothing more than a relic of the arcade era that serve no purpose in modern games other than artificially inflating the playtime, so developers avoid them like the plague.

People today can't deal with losing, you have the sickening 'Everyone is a Winner!' mentality reigning currently.
That's why they removed scoreboards from Battlefield 2042.

In Turok 1 you got a game over screen after you beat the game. they removed it in the PC rerelease for some reason

Attached: gameover.png (718x289, 426.11K)

You're a dumbass.

This doesn’t count?

Attached: 6490F91E-F943-4418-A256-2F63C23AD105.jpg (1280x720, 98.08K)

I always hated when games ended with a Game Over screen. I associate game over with losing so beating the game and getting that just annoyed me.
Not that I'm defending that specific example of a game being rereleased and removing that screen.

>In Turok 1 you got a game over screen after you beat the game
Those were actually common in older games, before "game over" became synonymous with failure.

It's technically still a "game over" screen except they got a little more creative with it.

Another semi recent one but its pretty plain

Attached: BF1FCE0F-5961-4CFD-BEC0-B3E64DF58C4A.jpg (1280x720, 31.01K)

Says the no fun allowed autist who thinks vidya is about functionality.

Kek I can only think of indie games with game over screens

Attached: A8C9B70D-D0E1-4DC5-9139-92A3E2B1396E.jpg (1024x578, 67.82K)

Best one I could find online even though its from a mod but witcher 3

Attached: AA017D66-A86B-4993-A098-D66C29507B00.png (321x426, 61.57K)

That reminds me Earthbound's "game over screen" is actually dialogue boxes.
I'm surprised Undertale used a more traditional game over screen instead.