Is Smash Bros a fighting game?

Is Smash Bros a fighting game?

Attached: Arcade Fighters.jpg (4000x2413, 2M)

with the addition of Street Fighter characters it's a 3/4 fighting game. It gets respect in the FGC now.

In its own platform-fighter branch, yeah. Not traditional or 3D enough to be a regular or arena fighter, but not far away enough that I'd unironically compare it to one-note minigames in Mario Party or Jackbox.

>one-note minigames in Mario Party or Jackbox.
articulate because to me this sounds like the dumbest shit I've read on a fundamental level when describing the type of game it is.

Who cares? Who do you main? It's Ryu for me.

It's more of a fighting game than Mario Kart is a racing game.
It can be considered unorthodox (though it gained a lot of genre legitimacy with other platform fighters popping up in the last 10 years) and has a non-competitive aspect with items, but the core mechanics of fighting are solid, just supplemented with platforming.
Compare to MK that guts racing entirely and uses it as a vessel for item play, entirely too shallow to be played without items.

Where the fuck is the full render for the Garou costume? Normally they would be added online by now but it's been nearly a week and I don't see it on either SNKfandom or fightersgeneration

Attached: KOF-XV-Terry-GAROU-costume (1).jpg (1280x720, 336.4K)

>unironically compare it to one-note minigames in Mario Party or Jackbox.

What.

no

but it is though

it's not. it isn't

>Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Pyra, and Byleth
>all superior to Ryu, Ken, Terry, or Kazuya
Smash is a spammer shitfest.

It doesn't because the game is laggy as hell and had shit netcode. It's the main excuse to not fix fighters with basic features.

objectively speaking, it is.

Attached: best selling FIGHTING games 1.0.png (549x481, 51.01K)

Always has been. If fighting games remained as two guys on a flat surface beating each other up in a back-and-forth this fucking genre would've stagnated years ago.

swag

>entirely too shallow to be played without items

Is this really true? Like, if you do play it without items, what makes the core racing gameplay bad?

Mii Brawler. Technically a fighting game character, right…?

Attached: 832A8E51-707D-44BE-AD25-5D6DF95E6F24.jpg (1200x1200, 124.6K)

It's less bad and more primitive. It was fine in the SNES days, but racing games became deeper and more skill-heavy past that, while Mario Kart consistently dumbed things down further by making cars easier and less nuanced to handle, tracks wider and longer and ruthlessly rooting out every possible exploit they can find.

Attached: no fun allowed.webm (1280x720, 582.81K)

it's not.

Attached: sakurai-smash-bros-not-a-fighting-game.png (388x718, 136.39K)

Is is a fighting game. That's the description of the game whenever it's being marketed. It's won literal awards for being the best fighting game. It's not the creator who decides what it is, it's everyone else and it's universally agreed upon that it is a fighting game whether he likes it or not.