What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: ffstorylogo.jpg (750x461, 56.21K)

Final Fantasy XIV happened and them realizing that they don't need to try anymore when MMO gives them tons of money

Square Enix

Rent free

2004 is the year of the downfall
FF12's development hell
Fabula Nova Crystallis
Crystal Tools

Attached: 06b66960af88afc0364378b3c094cb4f.png (900x888, 763.72K)

>tfw played FF on release date
>tfw when still enjoy most of the new shit

Attached: 3DBA811C-698A-4FB5-9566-D3409908F3AC.jpg (320x180, 11.13K)

Was it too ambitious?

the moment that that The Spirits Within tanked marked the end of Square-Soft

Attached: p27997_p_v10_ad.jpg (1536x2048, 376.32K)

This + Square being horrendously incompetent for most the past two decades without interruption.

You grew up

Tear is so cute I love her.

Nah that's can't be why because the games I was too young to play when they came out are still good.

Every game being development hell and thinking too highly of themselves in general FFXVI seems far too grandiose already, and we hardly know anything about it; par for the course for SE
On the other hand, when something works (XIV), they actively make sure to sand off any rough edges and creativity for the least innovative experience in the world
I think XVI will end up to be pretty bland and too far up its own ass

The series was never good. The gameplay has always been tedious and horribly balanced in comparison to other noteworthy JRPGs, and the storytelling has always been retarded.

Modern gaming practices and culture

I enjoyed XV just playing it. Story was a bit stupid but I could always travel back in time

>I enjoyed XV
Are you mentally disabled?

Bloating budgets, engine rewrites, and putting Nomura in charge of too much story direction.

Hot take: There aren't any truly bad main line FF games, they just take too long and build up too much expectation. People remember the "golden years" as the best because they were knocking them out like every year.

They made Chrono Break and you didn't play it.

Attached: ff13-2-6.jpg (602x339, 52.81K)

Nothing.
The franchise is on its peak once again and shits on the competition. Give me one single other JRPG franchise that has power, ill wait.

Attached: ff.png (1944x831, 2.67M)

>budget = power

They used to have like 4 dedicated teams all working on their own mainline FFs, and in doing so were able to add little gimmicks to make each their own, without having 10 years of hype and a super bloated budget for each. Much like Rare during the N64, they had their own formula for cranking shit out, ie pre-rendered backgrounds with the standard ATB battle system as a framework.
Mainline FF is still amazing for the most part. It’s just that in the last 15 (literally) years we’ve been graced with only the trash that is 13 and 15 (14 is actually good).
FF7, FFT, Xenogears, Parasite Eve 1&2, FF8, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, FF9, and FFX all came out in 4 YEARS OF EACH OTHER. Let that sink in.

Final Fantasy 4 and 6 started being movies first and games second. The Franchise never recovered

FFXI and FFXII turned out fine, FF only really started to go bad with FFXIII FFXIV and FFXV