Guilty Gear Strive looks great, but

As a long-time Guilty Gear fan/player (and fightan fan in general), I'm glad to see the franchise legitimately have some time in the limelight and Strive looks like a great game. However, I haven't purchased it yet, but money isn't the issue. Thing is, I saw what they were doing with Xrd by charging full-price for the initial release, then much more incrementally as DLC was piled on top, even re-releasing versions of the game again at-or-near full price. I absolutely abhor this DLC structure, since you're never really going to own the "complete" version of the game while it's live and the initial release is usually pathetic content-wise. Sure, they did similar things with the XX releases, but the original release of that game was very content-rich and there are near-final presses of AC+R on-disc, or at least available cheaply on Steam and other places.

Ultimately, I'm conflicted between my principles and desire to play Strive. I vote with my wallet and tend to only purchase games that have little-to-no DLC which generally boast strong initial releases (just pre-ordered KOF XV, for example). I'm sure I'd be spending close to $200 if I kept up with DLC/future revisions, and I think it's ridiculous that the release structure is designed that way from the ground up when finished games (or at least complete builds) of fighting games used to be what always went to market. Again, money isn't the issue here, but I really don't believe in what they're doing from a consumer perspective.

So, should I pull the trigger and accept that this is the future of fightan, or stick by my principles and wait for the final version, Any Forums?

Attached: 28_baikenbnrt.jpg (1200x630, 197.93K)

I doubt that Arcsys will fuck it up by releasing a "Strive rev 2" or whatever for 60 dollars. Street Fighter 4 got like 3-4 different editions, but V is only one game with DLC fighters. Same with Tekken. Even DBZ FighterZ, an Arcsys game, is only one game with DLC fighters. I think the time of "editions" for fighting game is over, since arcades are dead or dying.

So buy it if you like it, wait for a "Goty" edition that has a lot of characters or whatever.

Yeah, just pirate it and play ofline, then you can pay for it when goes on sale or when it has good enough to warrant 60 dollors.

The only big missing feature is a easy, functional ranked matchmaking system instead of the shit lobbies. Everything else is secondary, like frame data in training etc.

Yeah but booba though

Attached: 1623789542561.png (598x574, 188.82K)

tl:dr
Strive is fun, has good netcode people will enjoy it for years while xrd cucks seethe for all eternity.

i feel similarly with kofxv
i cut kofxiv some slack because it was snk trying to make a comeback from financial downturns but kofxv has no excuse to be the way it is, covid or not

people try to say that this model of incrementally adding things to the base game is better because "you don't have to buy new versions like the old days" but the prices they charge for characters just brings it up to being even WORSE than just buying a new version of the game a la sf2 revisions
there's going to be at least four dlc teams (12 characters), most of which were characters that were in a recent previous game (samsho, kofxiv) or edits of characters already in the base game (orochi team), and that's going to be 60 fucking dollars for all four teams
that's an entire new game, that's being added onto a game that already recycles resources from the previous game to cut corners that's selling for 60 dollars
sure, blazblue was worse in a way because they'd sell dlc for iterations of a game that just became part of the base roster in the next iteration, but pointing fingers at something else being worse does not make what's happening automatically good just for being the better of two evils
fuck snkdrones for defending this shit

>only purchase games that have little-to-no DLC
>just pre-ordered KOF XV for example

Attached: 1435236310101.jpg (960x540, 31.94K)

Yeah this, quite simply.

The base roster is already 40 characters, and only three DLC packs have been confirmed which they were up-front about and will likely go on sale closer to the final pack's release. While it's still the same type of scum-fuckery that other companies practice, it's not nearly as bad as SFV or GGS. The worst I'm worried about is how the meta is going to change between packs in KOF XV, but something tells me we'll have all of the characters within about a year of its release anyway.

>The base roster is already 40 characters
Divide that number by 3 since it's a KOF game.

So you're afraid Arcsys will release a revision to Strive which will make your purchase irrelevant? I mean, it is true that, you, as a fighting game fan, are not used to such tactics as constant revisions and re-releases of the same game.

Remember when Arcsys fucked us over by making Xrd Rev2 super cheap if you bought it as an upgrade? They were the only company ever to release a revision to a fighting game, and at a huge discount! Never forgave them for that. Xrd was a bare bones release too. All it had was the best tutorial in any fighting game ever and the equivalent to a 13 episode anime as a story mode.

But then, just to rub salt in the wound, they simplified how updates work in games like FighterZ by releasing updates and new characters as DLC without requiring the purchase of a whole new game. No other company nickel and dimed us by releasing "seasons" of characters, but Arcsys did.

You should buy KOF XV instead. Unlike Strive that's trying to trick you into purchasing a game with high quality, industry dominating visuals and audio, you can get a game made by honest, hard-working people that's 80% reused assets from KOF XIV and looks like PS3 shovelware.

Okay. Even if you weren't being a faggot, that's still as many as GGS launched with...plus the other 2/3 of the roster you absolute mong. I bet you're a proud first-adopter of SFV.

Why did this series become so fucking lame after XX?

Attached: Guilty Gear Rosters.png (1971x888, 2.74M)

I think Strive looks good, as does XX, but I hate how Xrd looks.

Granblue is proof enough that they aren't following that monetization model anymore. Rather they prefer to sell you season passes until you pass out, Tekken 7 style. I don't think I like this, but sure is better than getting a Guilty Night in birth blitzkampf cross capcom XX -3 on block a year later

Total cope from a graphics whore. I like GG, too, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend Arcsys was doing us a favor by pushing out an unfinished game at full price and charging us interest for the rest of it, no matter what "payment plans" they offered. Xrd is a good game, but I'd have been coping just as hard as you if I'd have bought it on release.

This. It may be sacrilege but I'd sooner play casualties GG with better netcode than a "more respectable" GG with the worst fucking netcode I've ever seen in a game such that even when I won I'm not sure if it was deserved

>The base roster is already 40 characters
most of which were touched up backports reusing especially the animations from the previous game, and that's even going to be the case with a lot of the dlc
>While it's still the same type of scum-fuckery that other companies practice, it's not nearly as bad as SFV or GGS
this kind of comment is EXACTLY what i'm talking about with pointing fingers and trying to look at kofxv as being good simply because it's the lesser of two evils
and it's most likely not going to stop at just four extra dlc teams either which is already an extra 60 dollars, meaning 120 dollars for a complete version of this game isn't actually complete yet
and before you even bring it up
>any single player mode by snk
the way they've talked big about snk heroines in that regard is not giving high confidence values in kofxv and i'm just gonna youtube that shit to make a judgment
and if it's as small as i think it is, i'm gonna shit on it so hard

Strive, the unfinished game with as a many characters at launch as Sign? Or do you mean Strive the unfinished game that with the DLC has almost as many characters as vanilla XX, the game that was a full price revision to X? Do you mean Strive the unfinished game with totally redone netcode that lets me play with someone on the other side of the planet with no lag?

Xrd has best menus, Strive's GUI both looks terrible and is less intuitive, i'm not going to talk about lobbies.

NOOOOOO BUT MUH +R WITH THE ROSTER OF CHARACTERS 90% OF WHICH IVE NEVER TOUCHED!!!!!!!! +R IS A BETTER GAME OR SO IM TOLD, I DONT EVEN PLAY FIGHTING GAMES BUT IM NOT PLAYING THIS ONE SO NYEH NYEH NYEH