23 years old

>23 years old
>Still unsurpassed
How the fuck did they do it?

Attached: System-Shock-2.jpg (678x381, 161.75K)

its good fun but not some epic masterpiece

Name a better immersive sim, then

One thing you figure out after a while is nearly all the great vidya masterpieces were total lightning-in-a-bottle accidents that only happened due to a strange combination of staff, the spirit of the times and a lack of time/budget forcing people to shoot from the hip and tap into their secret well of inner strength. These games can never be replicated and anyone who tries will 100% create garbage because they're apes and not divinely inspired.
That's why you should always fear sequels/remakes.

Attached: bloome.gif (58x84, 3.52K)

Speaking of which, when is SS remake coming out? It's been like 5 years already.

Deus Ex

got mogged by deux ex 1 year later

midwits, go back to crawling around in vents

Honestly can't decide if SS2 or Deus Ex is better

like in ss2 where one of the first things you do is crawl through a vent?

The only good part of system shock 2 is the med sci combat music.

There's a difference between the occasional crawling through the vent and being able to circumvent half the game by crawling through vents

hopefully never

Nobody's going to take you seriously if you're going to be blatantly disingenuous about how much vent crawling there is in DX. Anybody who actually played the game knows you're full of shit.

They honestly have such different aims that its comical people compare them so much (or think Prey has more SS dna than DX)
SS1/SS2 are at their heart combat simulators where you get to choose how you blast through mandatory obstacles. DX is where imsim really branches into choosing between a bad combat simulator and a sneaky talky cuckold simulator.

Things that got identified as "flaws" and ironed out of subsequent games that were trying to duplicate its play style were in fact things that made the gameplay memorable.
Things like being underpowered, or having research take time may not have been fun on their own, but experiences like hiding in a closet from hybrids waiting to be able to use a new ability was atmospheric as fuck.

Same things happened with Mass Effect, the first game had a lot of great ideas, and then the next game in the series dropped almost all of them to make a more conventional shooter.
Coolest thing in single player titles is still just the emergent experience created by gameplay mechanics. Only title that really stands out to me in recent years is Shadow of Mordor, but even if falls apart just by letting the player become too completely overpowered.

t. last played the game 10 years ago and mained GEP gun

i dont even remember vents in the game and i played a stealth playthrough

falls apart completely after Hong Kong

Oh boy yeah there must be zero vents in Deus Ex then since you have early onset dementia

they created something good and didn't ruin it by it becoming a commercial success and getting watered down sequels

In hindsight I'm glad Levine created a new franchise to ruin instead of making a true SS2 successor