I don't understand Mahjong. How did I not win here? I stole the peacock, thinking that would give me a winning hand...

I don't understand Mahjong. How did I not win here? I stole the peacock, thinking that would give me a winning hand. Don't I have three straights and a pair? Can the pair not use any of the tiles from the straights?

Attached: mj'.png (1713x1059, 3.36M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mahjong.guide/a-beginners-guide-to-riichi-mahjong/
youtube.com/watch?v=fUPOBLcARcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=H0yCgzK_ooc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honestly I don't get this game either

Fucking moron

where's your yakuman? you are not in tenpai either. no riichi, open hand etc
literally worthless hand

>PON NYA
>WHY AM I NOT WINNING REEEE

F U R I T E N NYA!

ROOM
DOKO

Three straights is closed hand yaku, but four straights can be open hand yaku.

inai
video game inai
zettai zetsubou only

Attached: 1624492086356.png (336x376, 32.39K)

mahjong fucking sucks it's literally just poker but 100x more complicated for no reason
having 50 thousand retarded rules to memorize doesn't mean it's good

Your hand has no value. You need 4sets and a pair under certain conditions. You need at least 1 yaku, you need at least 1 combination that makes your hand worth points.

your hand has no value

>Three straights is closed hand yaku, but four straights can be open hand yaku.

What?

No it isn't. Are you talking about Pinfu? That's 4 straights (are you talking about melds ie: 123 man, 567 bamboo...etc) And a valueless pair and the hand must be closed.

>A winning hand consists of 14 tiles (excluding kans), which will almost always be four sets plus one pair. A crucial condition for the player is that the winning hand must contain a yaku. A yaku is something special about the hand which increases its value. This is a key difference to Chinese mahjong and serves to stop players from winning quickly with extremely cheap hands, meaning that higher scoring hands are more plausible, increasing the strategy and excitement in the game. For beginners, the easiest to remember and aim for are:

Yakuhai (Triplet of players own wind, wind of round, or dragon)
Tanyao (No 1 or 9 tiles, winds, or dragons in hand)
Pinfu (Hand is consists of only sequences. Pair is not the player’s own wind, wind of round, or dragon. Hand is closed. Winning tile wait is two sided for a sequence)
Iipeikou (Same sequence twice, hand is closed)
Chanta (hand has 1, 9, wind, or dragon in each meld and the pair)
Riichi (hand is fully concealed and player makes Riichi bet, see below)
Menzen Tsumo (hand is closed and win is by self-draw)
Toitoi (hand is all triplets plus a pair).
Honitsu (hand uses only a single suit plus honour tiles)

mahjong.guide/a-beginners-guide-to-riichi-mahjong/

You don't have a yaku because you called for tiles and opened your hand. Learn the actual ways to score if you are going to open your hand. The easiest one is Tanyao, which is not having any terminal tiles (1s and 9s). Or Pinfu (only straights and no honor tiles). Some rules, Tanyao can be open, but almost no one uses open Pinfu. If you are going to call for straights, then make it a three color straight (a straight of all three tile types in the same numbers).

Actually, now that I look at this again, if there's no additional rules for this match, it depends on when and how you stole that tile.

If you stole that tile as the last move you made to complete your hand, it should have counted. But if you stole it before completing the rest of your hand, it wouldn't count.

If you did the former, it's possible you accidentally called "pon", which steals tiles to further your hand but doesn't complete your hand to end the round.
You need to call "ron", which steals the tile to complete your hand and end the round.

Also remember OP, going for tanyao or pinfu means you have no honor and you must sudoku if you win the game.

This

And looking again, again, I don't think I see any riichi, and there's no yaku, so you couldn't call ron anyway.

I wouldn't say that. Tanyao and Pinfu are the basics and everyone should try to move towards that hand if they are able, especially together. I say you have no honor if you have 11 tiles for a Kokushi Musou and you ask for a redraw instead of going for it.

I truly regret spending some of my limited lifespan learning weeb RNG simulator

>do not chi unless you know what you are doing
>do not pon 1s and 9s
>if you pon get rid of all 1s and 9s, winds that arent seat or active (both are east in OP) and probably dragons
its not that hard

your hand is valid but it's worth 0 point, in order to actually win, your hand needs to be at least 1 point worth

the reason it's worth 0 point, is because you called (or stole) the 1 of bamboo in order to complete it

if you didn't call the 1, you could have called riichi (declaring you are 1 tile away from winning) in order to make your hand worth 1, or you could have discarded all the 1 and go for "all simples/tanyao", a hand that has no 1,9,winds or dragon tiles

Can you play without arranging your cards like in they do in the video?
What is the function of the hidden 5?

youtube.com/watch?v=fUPOBLcARcQ

Arranging tiles in your hand is purely for the player's own ease of understanding, you don't need to organize them at all.

What hidden 5?

Man old japanese people have 0 chill when playing mahjong, now im going to spend the whole evening watching mahjong videos ROOM DOKO
youtube.com/watch?v=H0yCgzK_ooc

Attached: 1630566825163.png (1713x1059, 3.35M)

stop calling, dumbass

Attached: 1614665916929.png (2600x1750, 576.84K)

I honestly don't get how people can play without organizing their tiles. I know that it can be a good way to hide your hand shape if you know that you have tells, because you can't be sure if someone glanced at certain suits or not.

Those are the Dora indicators. It shows which tiles are worth bonus points. The indicator in your pic is 9 of bamboo, which means the 1s are worth more. If you have a yaku, your hand would have been a pretty big scoring hand for its ease of putting together. There are actually 10 tiles there. If you Riichi, you can look at the Ura or Reverse Dora and see if you have those in your hand too, further increasing it's score. You can get more Dora indicators flipped over if you get a four of a kind and call Kan.