Best mechanical RPG

So I was tricked into playing steven universe save the light, and with the years it began to eat/grow on me.

For someone like me who did never go hard into RPG only knowing Pokemon, FF7 old FFs like 1 and 6 and paper mario a little ...

You see what always made RPGs boring for me is that they are either trivial (pokemon types) or they give you zero agency in these games where you select a ability and it is executed.

I know paper mario did its thing however steven universe has every ability with some mechanic in it a reflex mechanic like press the button when it reaches max however overshooting it punishes you.

There are also fun games in like you need to use the XYAB buttons to bounce balls around that the boss throws at your characters or you get punished by damage. For me this makes the combat far more engaging then seeing numbers and literally being unable to do anything about it.

So what RPGs would you say have the best mechanical system like this ?

Attached: 3c5676892ac63bb724e70fa996eb66f4.png (180x260, 1.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=39sc5fdP3cg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're describing the Mario and Luigi series.
All attacks have either timed button presses in order to either complete the attack or do extra damage, and special attacks require varied combinations of button presses, and in later entries they incorporate touch screen elements.
In order of quality, Bowser's Inside Story and Superstar Saga are top tier, Dream Team is pretty good, and Paper Jam and Partners in Time are flawed but decent.

sword-chucks

First for Legend of the Dragoon. Attack skills have combos, its like a rhythm game. I guess it can get tedious though.

BURNING RUSH

Having a minigame to execute an action is just a way to hide that the combat is completely trivial and lacks any depth. Play something like shin megami tensei or etrian odyssey and you won't need some stupid minigame to keep you entertained every time you want to cast a spell.

Attached: 1639463804455.png (439x1051, 667.17K)

Vagrant Story, for both offense and defense. You have timed presses on attack to do offensive shit you set beforehand, and you have timed presses for being hit. So you can set like Fire/Dark/Water resistance on Square/Triangle/Circle and if you get hit by Dark you time press Triangle to restore half the damage back.

You can set stuff on offense like healing weapon durability or lowering RISK IIRC.

>steven universe fag
>cant get into jrpgs
This seemed like a fun thread at first but you sound obnoxious

Yo!

>or they give you zero agency in these games where you select a ability and it is executed.
So you don't like RPGs.
But truth to be told, nothing you've played is interesting or well done so I wouldn't blame you too much, you still have to play actual RPGs instead of adventure games with bad combat and understand whether you actually like them.
user here has a point, having some shallow minigame to keep your attention won't do much, so play games that are actually mechanically and narratively interesting.

Best mechanical systems, imo:
>Final Fantasy 5
Literally the best Job System in any Final Fantasy series. Can substitute this somewhat with X and X-2 if you'd prefer playing something with more modern graphics, but 5 stands alone really.

>Mother 2 and Mother 3
Mother 1 has a lot of really interesting ideas (both you and enemies have one shot kill attacks) but it's a bit of a fucking slog to play. Mother 2 and 3 do really interesting and unique things with the rolling HP meter and it leads to a feeling where the JRPG is also action based because you have to very quickly input your commands (down to skipping some character's turns) to ensure you get a heal off before someone dies. It's an absolutely amazing system and it's a fucking travesty it's died with Mother 3 and never been replicated elsewhere.

>Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Builds off 1 and improves the mechanics in every aspect, literally the best Action-JRPG combat I've ever played and with the clearest and most fully implemented "Virtuous Cycle" I've ever seen. The combat system is made up of literally 7 layers and performing each step properly leads to exponential gains in the next step. It's absolutely mechanical perfection and a must play.

>Final Fantasy 14
It's got unironically the best story, music, gameplay, world and characters of any Final Fantasy game. If you're looking for a JRPG with a JRPG style story, FF14 is unironically the best FF game to the point it makes large swaths of the rest of the franchise basically obsolete outside of their own individual stories. And obviously having MMO combat with a horde of oGCDs, it's got fast paced and reactive gameplay that's got plenty of room to master.

Attached: 1601565422000.png (960x640, 224.87K)

by you mentioning ff5 and not mentioning bravely default I will assume you didn't play it yet.
go play bravely default!

Attached: 1643126096429.gif (422x309, 446.84K)

interesting I look into them.

Helen's Mysterious Castle doesn't have any action commands, but the battle system is really strategic. There are only 3 stats, Attack, Defense, and Wait, but the game extracts a lot from its simple mechanics. Plus its only like 2 bucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=39sc5fdP3cg

>has a point, having some shallow minigame to keep your attention won't do much, so play games that are actually mechanically and narratively interesting.
The minigame represents your reflex. What is the alternative ?
>RNG only
?
>Literally getting a win because your numbers are bigger
?
>Needing to grind to level up
?

>ou still have to play actual RPGs instead of adventure games with bad combat and understand whether you actually like them.
Give some examples.

Attached: Just+dont+watch+funimation+dubs+_ca725388895d24850db3cd7a1bc95108.jpg (376x369, 37.99K)

I literally gave two examples in my post
>RNG only
>Literally getting a win because your numbers are bigger
>Needing to grind to level up
how about building a funcional party with useful skills and learning how to use the game's systems to maximize your damage.
if I'm playing a jrpg and the game doesn't let me pick a class and customize party members skills I already know it's going to be shit

>The minigame represents your reflex.
Reflexes have no place in RPGs, RPGs are about raw number interactions with no outside influence, if that doesn't suit your fancy then play something else.
A shitty rhythm minigame is also not a good way to "represent your reflexes", play fighting games or FPS instead and actually work on your reflexes and adaptability.
>Give some examples.
You've already been given some, you want something more mechanically focused, play roguelikes, for something more balanced there's games like AoD, for good japanese games there's SaGa or Etrian.
If numbers bother you that much and you just prefer mashing buttons then just stick to action adventure games.

>how about building a funcional party
So its the pokemon type matching.
>Reflexes have no place in RPGs,
Reflexes represent your struggle in like you fighting someone this makes the game more interesting.

>play fighting games or FPS instead
I'm a FPS and fighting game player also RTS player.

pokemon but with 4 or 6 party members at the same time, and more than 4 skills per character

Loved this game. Great gameplay and a nice little story

P5 strikers
FFXIII games
FFXV
Kingdom hearts series

>Reflexes represent your struggle in like you fighting someone
(You)=/=the character
Again, RPGs are about raw numbers just how RTS units have fixed numbers to determine how hard they hit, how much damage they can take or how fast they move.
>I'm a FPS and fighting game player also RTS player.
And not a particularly bright one it seems, stick to those since you clearly do not get what RPGs are about and do not want that kind of gameplay.

>Reflexes have no place in RPGs
ARPG are a thing. Though you are right when it comes to turn-based RPGs.

>you clearly do not get what RPGs are about and do not want that kind of gameplay.
Tell me what they are all about.

>just how RTS units have fixed numbers to determine how

Thanks for confirming that you do not know what a RTS is. in RTS to get these units you need to time perfectly a build order to get faster these more powerful units.

>ARPG are a thing.
ARPGs are not RPGs.
>Tell me what they are all about.
I already told you, can you read?
>Thanks for confirming that you do not know what a RTS is.
Bro, those Hussarls are all gonna have 1.5 speed no matter how good you are at microing or how fast you are at your economy, you really are a retard who can't even read english.