Best starter game for a 7 year old?

Hey pokebros,

I'm buying a pokemon game for the switch for a kid's upcoming birthday but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the variety.

He's an early reader but he's played a lot of pokemon go and other switch games so he's not totally inexperienced but he really wants a pokemon game.

He's already getting Snap from his dad but really wants a proper game.
Let's Go seems like the best choice, is this correct? How does Arceus compare in difficulty?
Are any of the switch games set in the region XY takes place in?

Thanks for the help guys. you're helping grow the next gen of fans.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 48.5K)

This is some impressive bait OP
Sword/Shield would not disappoint if he wants a traditional experience full of content, Let’s Go isn’t exactly traditional but it’s not a bad choice either, BDSP would feel kind of lame, Arceus isn’t a regular title but he might like that anyway.

it really depends. Let's go is probably too self directed and punishing for a young player, but maybe adversity will be well received if he had real gamer blood.
Let's go is fine.. he can probably play it well but without an emotional attachment to pokemon, some of it might seem a little shallow, even to a kid.
SwSh is certainly the best option for a switch game. It's got enough depth but also enough ease of access for any child.

Literally not bait. I am an uncle who hasn't played a Pokemon game since Black/White on my old DS. It's just really confusing because all the bad gaming websites say to get Let's Go, but reading around where actual people are talking it seems more split.
The kid loves the cartoons, has tons of little figures and shit, and he obsessively plays pokemon go (but evolves everything so he never has stardust to evolve good things).

I have a switch but I only ever play Diablo 3 and Smash with him on it.

Pokémon games for the Switch are the worst that this franchise has to offer, it's better if you get him a different game. If you must, I guess get Let's Go, it's the best-looking of the Switch mainline games and has Go catching mechanics which he should be used to.

BDSP might be good, too.
I would rate them swsh > bdsp > let's go > arceus for someone who doesn't have much experience with pokemon.
Let's go does have coop, though, so if you plan to play with him that's really cool.

How far away is his birthday?
maybe you could wait for SV and get him that if his birthday is around november.
Though I'd suggest either SWSH or BDSP as those are part of the main pokemon formula.

I do plan on gaming with him, I see him all the time and am the "cool uncle" that plays lots of coop games with him.

It sounds like I either need to get Let's Go or Sword/Shield then.

I looked it up and it looks like they come out a week or so after. Good item for Christmas though thank you!
Big thanks to all of you for the recommendations

Let's go is fine, honestly perfect for a young kid. Simple good fun

Attached: 20200825_153827_IMG_3549.jpg (1280x853, 93.16K)

I think he would enjoy SwSh the most, but any of them are a good choice - except for maybe Arceus, which is definitely targeted at more-invested players.

If that's the case, go for Let's Go. It has co-op without requiring a second Switch and second copy of the game.

My first was Blue when I hit 7.
I'd say just go with SwSh. If he likes it, you can branch out from there to the other games. PLA might be a bit much right now.

Okay, then Let’s Go is a personalized choice for your cousin. After that I’d say SwSh then BDSP.

I got my nephew Let's Go Pikachu and he played that shit every day up until he lost the cartridge because 7 year olds can't be trusted with anything. He even got my sister to call me once because he found a Shiny Geodude.

Best route in for a kid his age on Switch
>BDSP
>SWSH
>LGPE
>PLA
>SV
Starting with BDSP is the closest experience to beginning with a (relatively intact) classic format. Moving from here to SWSH grants the experience of going from GB to console level gameplay (there are minor differences), then you begin to strip these back with the Go flavoured tribute to Gen1, before returning to region you started in, but during the distant past, before moving on the latest generation.

Let's Go or SwSh. I fucking despise genwunners so in the prospect of not creating anymore CHARIZZAAAARD'ers I'd say get SwSh. It has character customization, assload of content and EVERY LEGENDARY FROM EVERY GAME is accessible, and I think most mythical too (maybe not deoxys? Don't quote me on that). Let's Go is far more linear and restrictive, and he'll be missing out on gameplay mechanics like Abilities which I always loved as a kid stuff like Sunny Day/Drizzle/Sandstream actually affecting the battles.
SwSh is better value for your money and let's go has some kind of co op but dumbed down gameplay and restrictive Pokedex. But he'll see way cooler pokemon in SwSh so it gets my vote.

All these arguments in favour of SwSh are valid reasons to play it after BDSP. It's an upgrade. He's not going to stop at one game, is he? No, he'll go on to play more, no doubt about it. Start with BDSP, the best example of a base level classic game on the system, then upgrade to SwSh before breaking into LGPE / PLA. It's the most logical route forward.

Give the kid a hacked 3DS and he can play every pokemon game up to gen 7. Nice bait btw, got my reply.

No.
SwSh first

Why is Any Forums helping this pedophile setting traps for his prey?

Attached: 853.png (600x984, 623.59K)

I let my son (five at the time, now seven) play Platinum on my old DS. He liked it and beat the game, albeit slowly and with a little help (he hadn't fully learned how to read yet). Once he got a Switch Lite I got him Shield version because it was the newest game. He got bored with it and never finished the game.