Is becoming a CPA worth it?

Hello, frens, I am an accounting student in his junior year at university and I just started to seriously consider whether or not I should bother becoming a CPA.
First off, I hate studying - I have been able to get through university with a 3.7 gpa only really studying for exams. I really only wanted to become a CPA for the prestige/opportunity it opens up, I don’t want to work as a CPA, the amount of hours and workload isn’t worth it to me regardless of the pay.
So, to get back to my initial question, should I bother becoming a CPA? What can I expect out of college as a standard accountant salary wise and is getting hired as one tedious?

Attached: 3666A89E-F6B2-47C1-87D9-9402DF958068.png (500x573, 416.06K)

As someone that just graduated with a bio degree with the intent of going to med school to become a doctor for the "prestige/opportunity", don't. Do a career that you actually see yourself enjoying cuz all ur gonna do is end up miserable and questioning why u went down that path like me.

The problem is, aside from the fact I’m already set for accounting, that I don’t know what I really “enjoy” doing. I’d enjoy accounting well enough as a career, at least for a while, but I don’t know what my passion is.
I kind of just want to enjoy my time and enjoy life, not be a workaholic which is why I want to forego studying 30 hours a week for at least 6 months after I get my BA

Yeah, I get you. I don't know much about accounting though. I probably plan on going back to college to get an accounting degree. There was a thread I was in that was discussing accounting, idk if you can get any info from there:

No

You're on the path I want to be.
>Was a RN cardiac surgery : burned out as hell
>Made enough money to quite the wage game for some years
>Only free 2-3 years left

I'm thinking of becoming account : why ?
-You don't have to endure much "teamworking" which is only status games and absolute hell
-Pay is good
-Remote work
-Time left for physical activities and family time

I think the accountant pill is based, it's simple but honest work, no bullshit, you can work on the go.

Yes studying is boring but dude after 2-3 years you'll regret you didn't study much. Studying is actually not hard at all once you know why you do it. Try working 6 month in a shit factory you'll see studying is far more enjoyable.

I hear you learn most about accounting on the job.
I don’t study but I retain a good bit of the material long after my classes are over, I just do not want to study 400 hours for the cpa exam, that sounds like hell especially since I don’t want to work as a CPA

I'm a CA, (CPA equivalent in many countries). I can say that CA gave me 3 things 1) Knowledge 2) Prestige 3) Higher Base Salary. Money is good but I wanted in on Asset Management.
Accountants won't know jack shit about investing.
So, I joined CFA, very interesting, but maybe if I change job, I'll have to start at a lower salary. But I heckin love being an analyst and managing money.

It's worth it if you have the drive to move up the corporate ladder. If you are stagnant in a big four firm then you should leave and do private practice.

I don’t want to climb the corporate ladder, I just want to get a comfy job where I have a really good work life balance and make decent to good money

Then you won't have a good salary my friend.

No. I use to trigger my ex fiance on a regular basis because she had spent like upwards of 10k on CPA prep shit. Passing the exam is a crap shoot; its based on whether you get easy questions or not. Also, alot of accountants are getting into financial analysis fields because their jobs (bean counting) is being taken by AI, which makes all the work that you put into getting the CPA even MORE meaningless. And let me tell you: accountants typically have a circle jerk mentality when it comes to that cert. Its meaningless. My advice? Get into finance or better yet, data science. But these are fields that that actually requires being good at math and logic.

Attached: 0511171122.jpg (2560x1440, 1.14M)

I’m not even sure I want to work in accounting at least not for my entire career, I really enjoyed trading so I think finance would be more my speed, still graduating with a BA in accounting thoufh

Yeah then for all that is holy, don't fucking work in accounting. There is a reason why accountants were considered to be the biggest losers in office. They are boring. They stay up in the office late at the end of every month to do the fucking books. Its all pointless shit. Listen to me user don't ruin your life

Thats not true at all. Plenty of people make bank and don't work hard at all. Its identifying where there is opportunity and exploiting it. Hard work is for rubes

Can I still do those jobs with an accounting degree? I heard it’s the best major for doing whatever in business

It’s too late to change my degree, I can still “not work in accounting” with an accounting degree, correct?

pure retardation. accounting is not in danger of being performed by AI. CPA study materials are around 1800-2500, reimbursed by your employer.

op, same boat. I definitely don't want to be a CPA professionally, but kind of have to earn it anyway for my sense of self-worth and confidence. Legally, a CPA license has nothing to do with preparing taxes. You need a CPA to sign off on an audit. An EA is easier and also allows you to sign tax returns. But, most clients probably want to see a CPA after your name, even though it's not required.

I work in PA and it's hell, but the money's alright, and most tax accountants are republican or libertarian for some reason, so it's cool to not have to hide your power level all the time.

Business schools say that shit because accountants understand all the stupid regulatory shit associated with running a business insofar as taxation is concerned. But thats why you hire a bean counter (read: accountant) to do all that paperwork shit for you. The actual skills needed to run a profitable business is completely different. Analyzing risk is really important. And like i said before; identifying opportunities and how to exploit them is also important. And you can totally work in a non accounting role with an accounting degree. I have my bachelors in management and operations and my masters in finance. My career is based on hard/direct sales. A degree is just that; a piece of paper with your name on it (at least in the business world anyway). It gives you the ability to get A job in the "corporate field". Shit, I have a friend who has a gen ed degree and he is working in project management making 6 figures

Its totally getting replaced by AI, its just that accountants have this weird ego fixation on their career. Being an accountant is their entire life. Anyway, accountants are invading the Finance field because they have like one controller who can use AI to do all the mindless bean counting.

>I definitely don't want to be a CPA professionally, but kind of have to earn it anyway for my sense of self-worth and confidence

See? To be an accountant is to make your entire identity about passing the four tests and getting the piece of paper with your name on it. Its an ego fixation. Meanwhile, in the finance and data science fields (and shit, even in the sales field), it doesn't matter what fucking credential you have. What matters is the results and the amount of money you bring in. This is really true in data science and sales; you got to be scrappy and think on your feet.

it is not being replaced by AI. That's like saying programmers are being replaced by AI. Maybe some simple functions are being automated, but the decision-making and planning is not. A robot has performed unassisted surgery, so I guess doctors are irrelevant too. My national mid-size firm is growing so fast, they can't hire fast enough. Tons of work if you want it.
Lastly, the real shift in the industry will be outsourcing to India. U.S. tax returns are being prepared by pajeets, and the American accountants train them and review their work.

How many hours do you work though since it’s based on sales?
Also, I can’t switch to a data science degree this late

sounds like you were unable to pass intermediate 1. that's where all the management and operations or marketing people go when they are shocked at the difficulty of the class.

I do agree with you that accounting is not as interesting or sexy as finance, and I hope to get into wealth management one day. in the meantime, it's a solid job and easy to get. if you can get through intermediate 1 and 2...

I passed two exams and said fuck audit. Gave up because it’s a crusty old retard job for dinosaurs. Literally came close to finishing but it was not worth it imo. I have biz Econ degree too. Might be worth it if you’re uncreative with a slave mentality. Or maybe you’re a master of the Jewish piano idk you do you fren. Programming n data science is probably a better route long term.

Attached: 30765349-631D-4266-980B-53B5B3181228.jpg (1168x1362, 315.01K)

Actually taking intermediate accounting this semester, it’s completely online and doesn’t seem too bad so far but I’ve heard it’s hard for a lot of people, why?