Evening, gents, I was wondering if anybody here had advice on how to start budgeting...

Evening, gents, I was wondering if anybody here had advice on how to start budgeting. Been getting my shit together lately and I'm really trying to get into it so I can manage my money better and put more into investments instead of just savings.
I'm aware of the 50/30/20 rule and that i should go by that to set up a baseline for a budget, but what's some advice for keeping track of it week to week? Should I only really consider budgeting at the end of every month and just balance my books then?
Also I wanted to know if anyone's got advice on some kind of format for a spreadsheet or maybe a good app for tracking it, desu the format doesn't really matter more just that I wanna get some idea of how I should start

Attached: 1652530261041.gif (640x394, 1.21M)

you should be able to instinctively know if a purchase is within your budget based on how much you know about Bitcoin. Once you know enough, you realize buying new clothes and shoes and worthless shit is suicide when you could be accumulating the one in a millennium revolution into how humans define and understand wealth

Right now I don't actually have any crypto, I've gotten a few thousand dollars saved up to dip into different investments like stocks, ETFs, maybe get a CD or two, etc. etc. once I get some more knowledge about everything. I figure crypto's probably a good bet to put money into but right now I really don't know enough to confidently put money into it, especially seeing how quickly and radically some of them can change, yknow?

spreadsheet is a good idea to remember where you spent that money. no real format required, just write down what you bought and what you paid. spreadsheet on the phone for convenience. some spreadsheet apps are real shit though and don't even have math functions. try a bunch of them till you find one that at least lets you add up the results in a column.

i don't think you need to follow any fancy rules. just don't buy stuff you don't need. just because other people have it doesn't mean you need it too, i think thats something a lot of normies struggle with trying to keep up with their peers, often their peers are in debt.

sensible shoes, you don't need $2k air jordans and a $900 gucci t-shirt. basic obvious shit, just use common sense.

car is the biggest expense for a lot of people. do you really need one? if your commute to work is only a 20 minute bike ride you could save tens of thousands of dollars just slapping an electric motor on a bicycle and taking the bus now and again.

i don't really get how people struggle with budgeting. just spend less

research Bitcoin and get an education in finance. this combination will be the only people whos offspring will flourish unlike any other

you only have a few thousand dollars and it sounds to me like you're over-diversified. investments are all on a risk/reward scale and anything with low risk has low reward and vice versa. what is the potential upside of a few hundred into a cd? i mean really, probably fuck all why bother? when you're poor you have to take more risk to get worthwhile returns, i'm not saying yolo into dogcoins but dca into eth/btc/ one or two other projects. don't be tempted to buy like a dozen cryptos you cant even keep track of, you want to become something of an expert in everything you're buying. but dont fall in love with your coins

a lot of the standard official sensible advice is from people with more money then you or people from a different time, and they don't really understand your position of only have a few thousand to invest.

if the price radically changes on you to the upside then sell, radically to the downside buy more with whatever you kept on the side as "dry powder" is the phrase. trying to buy everything all at once and then it goes down can be a bummer without dry powder to take advantage of a downturn. try to plan your investments so that a radical move downward doesn't totally fuck you. people who yolo into lowcaps in a big lump sum trying to win big can get fucked when their shitcoin drops 95% relative to bitcoin. thats why being in balance is good risk management. shitcoin pumps balance some of it into btc/eth. and if the shitcoins drop you can balance some btc/eth into shitcoins.

full disclaimer, i'm still poor. so take my advice with a grain of salt. i shouldnt even be giving advice

ta is kinda like reading tea leaves. it works until it doesn't. but its not entirely without merit as a way of visualizing potential scenarios and planning around that.

savings accounts in a bank make no sense to me at all. you're getting like 1% apr when the cost of food and housing is going up like 30% some years. why even bother? there might be something i'm not understanding, but people with savings accounts just look stupid to me. like they just do it because they're told to or something by other people who just did it because they were told to etc.

I haven't actually put any money into anything yet, but I'm just looking at the different options I have since I'm not sure what to go with at the moment. So far I've just been researching a bunch of stuff and seeing what my best option would be to start out with.
Pretty much the only real idea I have for it at the moment is the spreadsheet I have set up where I'm putting in monthly expenses and everything and trying to balance it all out so I know exactly where my money's going, lucky for me I don't really have any friends and I don't particularly care about face so I don't think I tend to spend that much money on clothes or anything like that.
Yeah I've heard a lot about the "savers are losers" stuff lately, which is why right now my savings acc is mostly for putting money away until I either know where I should invest it or for long term plans for the future like a house or something (but given inflation i don't think that part matters as much atm). I've really just been trying to read up as much as I can and balance out my budget so that I can get on track to start investing as much as I can.

sounds good, researching your options, good stuff. i think its all risk management really. balancing risk with reward. there is no high reward low risk option thats chasing a unicorn. look at your potential gains and your potential losses and balance it out without getting greedy to where you're in a good position to meet at least some of your goals with manageable risk.

you sound like a fat retard larping as a financial advisor. OP should be buying btc at 80% off the ath. OP should be researching firms and cryptos with a small market cap that have genuine chance of success. OP should get his own REAL financial advisor

so many cults though. gold cult, silver cult, some of whom are poor and only have a few thousand but put it all in gold or silver. you're only going to gain or lose like 50% over a few years but they develop wild conspiracy theories to justify their emotional attachments. or shitcoin lovers expecting mad gains but with no plan whatsoever for what happens if those gains never come, they buy the top and diamond hands all the way to the bottom. best to keep emotions out of it as best you can or you'll start using mental gymnastics to justify emotional investments into shit you've fallen in love with.

Making your own spreadsheet is the best thing I ever did for my finances. Make categories so you can see where you spend too much, and where you may want to spend more. Be frugal, not cheap.

Also, don't feel bad about stacking at least a little cash in your savings account, it has its place for peace of mind. I always see 3 to 6 months of expenses recommended, go up to 12 if you feel the need. Depends on how secure your job is, your own risk tolerance, etc.

i already told him to take my advice with a grain of salt. i also suggested btc/eth/ a couple shitcoins same as you just did

>OP should get his own REAL financial advisor
is this valid advice though? aren't they strictly regulated on what advice they're allowed to offer? are they even allowed to suggest bitcoin let alone low market cap alts?

Try hledger, it's pretty good and it's what I use.

My process is I get paid every two weeks:
>Goes into account A which is 5k for emergencies
>Move 50% to debit card for weekly expenses
>Move rent to rent account
>Move rest to long term savings account
>Buy x ammount of crypto with the rest
Once the two weeks are up what ever is left on my debit card goes into long term savings and crypto and I start again.
I never think about money throughout the week or know how much I have.

Bitcoin has made me incredibly frugal to the point where I am stingy as fuck. Let's say I see something I want to buy and it costs $500. I immediately think I can flip that $500 in three years to at least $1500 and then I ask myself would I spend $1500 on that? And then I put it on my cash pile for bitcoin buys. My clothes are 3 years old, I have one pair of shoes and seven tshirts and one hoodie and one pair of jeans. I think I need help.

my bank app does that all for me with graphs and everything per category. A great feature is I can make sub accounts, and move money there for insurance, savings, transport costs etc. Then when it's out of the main account I can't use it to pay for stuff. I can move it around to limitless subaccounts in real time on the app but I have to do it physically. Finally, I can set rules based on fixed amounts or percentages to sort any new deposits into my account like salary, to be sorted automatically to my subaccounts. And a few months ago they gave me a feature where I can switch my debit card from my main account to a sub account and back again at will. So if I go on a trip, I can link my card to my subaccount 'trips' and if that hits zero my card doesn't work and I have to move funds into it or link the card back to main or other subaccount. Sure it's a bit silly but taking your phone out logging in and moving that cash gives you plenty of time to snap oit of any radh decisions.