I know sales-wise it did fine but what exactly keeps Pokken from being the megahit you'd expect "The Pokemon Fighting...

I know sales-wise it did fine but what exactly keeps Pokken from being the megahit you'd expect "The Pokemon Fighting Game" to be? Is it the phase shift system, some big hole in the roster, or some x-factor?

Attached: PDX.png (370x599, 421.99K)

Too casual to be competitive and too competitive to be casual.

The Pokemon Company is retarded

People only buy Main-Line games
No one fucking cares about Spin-Offs

Fighting games are niche and 3D fighting games like Tekken are even more niche and the Switch is not something most fighting game players would choose to play on
Maybe it could've worked if they put more faith into it, it's pokemon so it obviously has an audience

Honestly the small roster of the base game and the ludicrous price of the DLC soured me on it and probably did to any normie too. I own the base game and its kind of fun but not full price fun and definitely not another $15 on top of that for two more fighters fun.

Its also more complicated than a normal Pokemon game. The fighting game community is just as autistic as Pokemon fans but its a different flavor of autism and there is less overlap than you'd think.

What said, but also
> too few pokémon to appeal to pokémon fans
> too casual to appeal to the fighting games fans

And ideal pokémon fighting game would be like those DBZ games where you have 50 characters that play almost the same.
The focus had to be adding as many pokémon as possible, rather than making it feel like a true fighting game where every character has their own play style because we don't care about unique playstyles, but about having as many of our favorites playable as possible

>I know sales-wise it did fine
Who told you that?
Shit flopped

/thread

Could any of you actually explain what makes it less competitive than your garden variety fighter? Are you just saying this because field mode exists?

meant for not

>No one
Pokemon Snap series (6.03m)
>fucking
Pokemon Stadium series (11.32m)
>cares
Mystery Dungeon series (16.86m)
>about
Pokemon Pinball games (6.68m)
>Spin-Offs
Unite (70 million downloads), Masters EX (30 million downloads), and GO (500 million downloads)

No, it's just Pokken. They fucked up something there.
DX even sold worse on the Switch, sold less than Arms.

Tekken is the most popular traditional fighting game on PC right now

Pokefags think one million sales is low.

I think the Switch version came out at the wrong time. It was sandwiched between some larger releases if I recall correct, and much of the small (at the time) Switch base was playing those instead.
The game also didn't have a lot of support after release: no dlc and two balance updates on Wii U, one dlc pack on and four balance updates on Switch. In addition, the story mode is rather shit, and that does matter in fighting games now. The demo might have also left a bad impression on people unfamiliar with fighting games.
Maybe if it had gotten an actual price cut or more frequently gone on sale it would have done better.

It is, especially from Pokemon.
This isn't Star Fox or F-Zero, even Metroid had to kick it up

Traditional fighting games are a somewhat sickly genre, sales-wise.

first fighting games are not that big genre
second pokemon fanbase dont play figthing games its a diferent audience

>being disingenuous
Break down them sales, year-by-year, release-by-release and you'll see no-one actually cares for spin-offs and certainly not when the main series has sold 430.29% (rounded up) more than the ENTIRE output of spin-offs.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 02-11-55 Pokémon.png (762x922, 109.05K)

Attached: Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 02-12-12 Pokémon.png (763x966, 119.96K)

But sure, when everything relies on the success of the system with normies and most normies old enough to own proper consoles going for games that aren't "my first [Insert Video Game genre game here]" like PMD was my first rougelike, Snap was "my first 90's rail shooter", etc, they don;'t sell - at least not the type of sales people expect when they talk "Pokémon", because they think of the main series only when talking about it.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 02-12-33 Pokémon.png (749x817, 89.7K)

>Accuses another of being disingenuous
>Literally posts data confirming that even on a yearly basis Pokken was still in the bottom end of sales
Why try to "correct" the other user when you just corroborated their statement? Are you stupid?

Casuals only care about Marvel vs Capcom clones where you land one hit and then spam combos

This is the main reason the FGC never caught onto it.
And for normalfags and hardcore Pokemon fans alike, it's the unfortunate truth that a Pokemon Fighting Game won't ever succeed unless it manages to cram every last monster into its playable roster, something that's been made standard or attempted in a lot of other spinoff media at the time of Pokken's release.
But given how immensely varied our gargantuan roster of creatures is, they can't exactly do like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and copypaste the same few templates a good thousand times or so.