Reminder that the structure of a pokemon battle is like an 1800s gun duel. For example, Alakazam uses thunder punch...

Reminder that the structure of a pokemon battle is like an 1800s gun duel. For example, Alakazam uses thunder punch, it hits the opposing pokemon (also notice how it has a 100% chance of hitting and the speed stat does not change the opposing pokemon's ability to evade like it would only if battles happened the way most think they happen), and then the opposing pokemon uses its own move. That is 1 turn. Pokemon move very little outside of going to attack the opponent with contact moves. If this was not the case pokemon would just dodge most attacks at the same rate depending on how good they are at dodging, there's no good reason fire punch or bite is a 100% accuracy move somehow impossible to dodge. Under the model that a battle is not like a pistol duel, a high speed stat should also allow a mon to attack multiple times, but this is not the case. In reality the speed stat allows instead the faster pokemon to simply make their move before the slower pokemon does.
If you are unable to agree your brain has been poisoned by the anime which has instilled and cemented into you mere headcanon on how game battles actually work. Remember that the anime (which is no doubt where people get their idea of battles from) is NOT accurate to the actual lore and this has been especially obvious since PLA's shrinking which the anime obviously differs with.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 91.97K)

tl;dr

Battles don't work like how they do in the anime. They are actually turn based.

Schizo post, dont bother

Have you never played a turn-based RPG besides Pokemon? It’s just a gameplay contrivance.

Name 4 RPGs that don't have a "dodge" type stat for a character but with accuracy determined by the move itself, and a speed stat that doesn't allow you to attack more than once.
Pokemon in particular also has battles between pokemon in controlled environments.

By your logic we would have to assume that Mewtwo has as much stamina as a lvl 1 Caterpie because they both can only use tackle the same amount of times

The amount of PP a move has is simply a law of the move, like how pokemon only being able have 4 moves at one time is another law of pokemon. Just because Mewtwo and Caterpie can both only have up to 4 moves and can't learn a fifth doesn't mean Caterpie is as strong or smart as Mewtwo. This lacks a lore explanation for why it is the way it is but it's just how things work, just as the laws of physics and motion work.

So only the fanfic headcanon you make up for arbitrary game mechanics is real and not anything else ok got it

I always assume pokemon fight on their own will/instinctual(chooses an attack it knows) until a trainer gives input when he sees an opening or plans ahead in real time.

That's how it should be, but everything depicts Pokemon doing jack and shit until a trainer tells it to do the extremely obvious move.

>going by what the game literally does is headcanon!
>going by what I personally imagine pokemon battles to be like?
>going by what I watched in the anime?
>totally canon!
Grow self awareness.

Why would pokemon act without orders? They trust their trainers to know the right move.

You are fucking retarded. Battles play out like they do the anime.

Your idea doesn't work because this is a sport that people pay money to watch.

Fighting doesn't work like that.

>going by what the game literally does is headcanon!

Yeah, because the game does that for gameplay purposes. It's not an actual law of the universe.

>Here's my thesis on battles! Uh pp... I didn't make up any shit about that yet!

He's right though, that's just how PP works.

>like how pokemon only being able have 4 moves at one time is another law of pokemon.

It's not. Pokemon in the anime used to use more than four moves all the time.

No, PP is a representation of a Pokemon's stamina. These moves are exhausting to perform, and a Pokemon running out of PP means it no longer has the energy to fight. "Struggle" represents a Pokemon not being able to use moves anymore.

There is no set amount of times a move can be performed, it's all about how much stamina the Pokemon has left.

This isn't true, because stamina would be shared between all moves.

why does this matter

You ever been in a fight, they are fast paced. You get close to punch, you are going to get punch/bitten or grab/thrown. And when that happens you have less than seconds to react in real time. He must fight or defend itself on his own while the trainer has to observe and predict in advance to make the right move. This gets worse on two on two battle as you have to keep track on four pokemon, unless they are rules for one attack a turn, even a trainer would get overloaded shouting commands. And that also brings more problem when you can hear your opponent constantly shouting orders as you can predict his next move and do counter commands. And that is to say that one won't switch out a pokemon mid way for one that has advantage over the other. I believe realistically, should be similar to pokeman generations.

My point was he's just making up fanfic shit for what is obviously game mechanics I literally said that in the first post. But yet he is deflecting and trying to say his is actually the correct view and I'm only showing him that his made up shit is as dumb as everyone else's

I agree, this is why Elixirs and Ether is a thing.

>This isn't true, because stamina would be shared between all moves.

It is, in-universe. And obviously some moves take more stamina to perform than others.

Once a Pokemon is trained to a sufficient level, they shouldn't need orders for everything anymore. For example, in militaries, soldiers and small squads are trusted with being capable of performing their own tactical decisions like shooting, reloading, taking cover, etc.. So a well trained Pokemon should be trusted with things like knowing the type chart, using super-effective moves when necessary, dodging, etc.
Then the trainer can be there for advanced strategy and as an additional observer of the battlefield, providing updates, warnings and overriding orders as they see fit.

>Your idea doesn't work because this is a sport that people pay money to watch.
Magical creatures throwing beams at each other would be popular whether it's turn based or not. Poke battles are also something more often done without a large group of people watching. The fact that you can buy some cheap balls and just go out and raise a pokemon naturally means battles, a use of those pokemon, can be popular. Plus there's strategy to it.
People irl still play and watch chess. Fuck, people irl watch high level competitive pokemon players going at it.

>Yeah, because the game does that for gameplay purposes
Headcanon.

The anime isn't reliable. Pikachu-swellow thunder armor doesn't exist. Pokemon turn into energy rather than shrink. Leagues aren't tournaments in the games. I'm pretty sure pokemon don't even use more than four moves in the anime anymore.

>Poke battles are also something more often done without a large group of people watching.

No, all the high-level battles have huge audiences, or are broadcast on television.

It doesn't make any sense to have monsters that are super strong, have super speed, and all forms of bullshit powers, and limit them to a turn-based format. Never mind that such a thing is impossible to enforce; a criminal isn't going to agree to a turn-based fight with a child.