I haven’t played any Pokémon games since gen 4...

I haven’t played any Pokémon games since gen 4. Has there been an innovation in the games since the physical/special split? To my knowledge, that was the last meaningful change they made to Pokémon, besides maybe the Fairy type. Everything else they’ve done since gen 4 that I’m aware of has been either A.) a retarded gimmick (mega evos, type changing, etc.) B.) shitty design choices (change in art style, regional forms or C.) additions to the lore that makes it feel less like Pokémon and more like some kind of shitty fan art (ultra beasts)

Am I wrong to think this, or has something good come from Pokémon since gen 4?

Attached: 103C238A-BB0B-40E6-82FD-6E2B8732D994.jpg (828x1028, 123.96K)

I meant fan fiction, not fan art, but I guess it could be both.

Leave this franchise and board immediately.
Ignore all posts after this one.

Why? I’m thinking about getting back into Pokémon but I want to know what the consensus is post-gen 4

>has something good come from Pokemon since Gen 4?
Gen 5. This post will have guaranteed replies.

What changes did they make in gen 5 that was on par with the innovation of the physical/special split

the split was a mistake

On par feels like a very subjective term but off the top of my head:
-Reusable TMs
-Scrapping HMs
-IV modifiers
-Remote Box (access Boxes from anywhere)
-Open world areas

There hasn't really been any need for anything as universally gamechanging as the Phys/Spec split as that was a much-needed change and there isn't really another stat worth adding.

This is a really good response, thank you. The only one of those that sticks out to me as a problem is the box being accessible from anywhere. Seems like the “team of 6” thing is pretty moot at that point, if you can just swap them around whenever you want (I’m assuming you can’t do this during battle). Also, I was not aware TMs are reusable now, that’s really nice.

>massive numbers of Pokemon are forced to run mixed sets or go without STAB due to typing being locked into physical or special
>this was better
Explain yourself, retard.

>regional forms
These are neat

>out to me as a problem is the box being accessible from anywhere
Don't use it anywhere then.

The constant desire to """""innovate""""" the games led us to 4 shitty gimmics in like 5 years

Pokémon is suffering the same fate that Paper Mario is because of “”””innovation””””

gen 4/5 was the peak of innovation. from then on, it's just as you said.

There wasn't any meaningful change in gen 5, but it certainly didn't go downhill. Gen 5 really felt like playing Pokemon for the first time, without the nostalgia; in addition with all the QOL of 15 years. A very good experience from someone who also dropped out in gen 4

Triples were a good addition, despite how silly they seemed at first. I never got into rotation but I know people liked them too.

Gen 5 started reusable TM’s, which is one of the best quality of life changes in the entire series.

Great response, thank you. So would you say gen 5 is the culmination of everything good about Pokémon before everything starts going to shit? Or is that not a fair summation?

It feels like you've already made up your mind if you're discounting the addition of the fairy type so casually.

>Has there been an innovation in the games since the physical/special split?
ow encounters

>Gen 5 really felt like playing Pokemon for the first time
pokemon wasn't a linear handholdy boring mess when I played it the first time.

Oh please. There was only ever one path you could take in Red, and so far Silver has been one of the only games that let you do gyms out of order, and that was only like 2 or 3.

The box is disabled in certain dungeons.

>Has there been an innovation in the games since the physical/special split?
as features, OW encounters, Fairy type and Gems
wait no Gems got removed, like a bunch of shit. can you believe contests and secret bases are completely gone?
uhhh and Raids I guess got added

there's some QoL too. they got rid of HMs, TMs are now reusable, you can rename mons and relearn moves on the fly.
technically one game had Escape Rope and PC as key items but it wasn't exactly a good thing.
Also IVs somehow still exist. why did they not get rid of them I wonder.

>There was only ever one path you could take in Red
please play gen 1 a single time in your life, dumbass zoomer