Why isn't it viewed as a top tier starter design??

Not bipedal, definitely not a humanoid-jobmon.
If you feel the starters became overdesigned with gen 3 or gen 4, this one seems to be a happy medium between the more heavier designed starters (Empoleon) and the simpler days of evolutions just being bigger versions of the previous form (Venusaur).

Is it because of a poor move pool? Did it need a second typing? Is it too attached to the hentai Pokemon scene?

In my eyes, it should be viewed as one of the clearly most popular and loved grass starters, but I'm not sure it is.

Sceptile pulls off grass-Charizard in a beautifully executed way (excellent mega evolution as well). Venusaur is classic. I can accept either or both of them over Serperior (but I think a case can be made for Serperior being better than either of them).

I really don't think anyone else is a clearly better grass starter design though. I love Chesnaught, Decidueye is cool, but they fall under the era of starter designs now all being humanoid-jobmons and I think the repetitive nature of that only makes me love Serperior's design more.

Hoping it gets a mega, regional variant or something else with Gen V attention soon to be on the horizon since its next in line for remakes.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 9.17.08 PM.png (999x561, 752.18K)

>Why isn't it viewed as a top tier starter design??
because its design is boring as fuck and it's horrible in-game because of its non-existent moveset

>b-but not humanoid jobmon though!
only redditor zoomers think these things are bad.

I love it. Don't care what other people think, their opinions are not as informed as mine so are irrelevant.

It was terrible in game. In-game attachment almost singlehandedly defines a Pokemon's popularity and Serperior was just awful to use.
Also Unova bad ree.
Personally I love it and the other Gen 5 starters but I wish it had smaller eyes, they shouldn't fit in its head.

sex slave jobmon

It sort of has the problem meganium has for me where it's just kind of bland
Sort of tepid color palate really barebones movepool
It definitely has more personality than something like meganium but it just doesn't stick out to me

Because it’s shit

Was great in my W2 team, and I expected it to be bad.

it's bad in competitive but it works really fucking well in-game for a regular playthrough, turns out you don't need a good movepool for Coil to be fun and effective

Great design, barely etches out of having the worst starter movepool because of Meganium, and it downright needs Contrary to make it bearable to use unlike a lot of starters that are playable out of the box. It's still my favorite Unova starter by far, but it's fucking pain using it in Unova which already hates Grass Pokemon to begin with.

I loved it the moment I saw it

why would I want to use coil when I can just catch a darmanitan or scrafty or excadrill and instantly kill things instead

why would you ever use anything except the best OU sweepers then, this applies to almost everything, not just serperior

>going from having legs to not having any

How's that an evolution?

>Is it because of a poor move pool? Did it need a second typing?
these, mostly. it's just really boring to use in battle

ask real life snakes

>badass regal snake
>""""""""""""boring as fuck""""""""""""
Unimaginably shit taste

>it's horrible in-game because of its non-existent moveset
Contrary, motherfucker. That ability easily makes it one of the few OU grass startermons that's great to use competitively.
The others being Rillaboom and maybe Venusaur.

>why would you ever use anything except the best OU sweepers then
you're right, it does, which is why serperior is such a shit starter, almost every other starter in the franchise can just easily sweep instead of wasting multiple turns using a shitty setup move.

that's way that user specified "in-game" where it can't get Contrary

Contrary isn't in-game. Nor does it actually do much for it in-game because of how fucking late it gets Leaf Storm and how limited its usage is in Unova.

snakefags being retarded all the time like this doesn't help its case either

seviper looks like it has scales, serperior looks like a green banana

but it's so unfun
>click coil
>heal
>click leaf blade
most of pokemon is shit sort of like this, but that's just all it's ever going to do so it feels particularly monotonous