/nuz/ - Nuzlocke and Challenge Run General

Old Friends Edition

>What are you runing?
>How are you running it?
>How's your run going?
>Are you doing a weird ruleset? And if so, what is it?

Question of the thread: Who was your run-saver that came in clutch and stopped you from failing a run, and what's the story behind them?

/nuz/ resources
Mostly outdated, but if I add something new it will have (Updated) somewhere in it. Let me know if there's something that needs updated if you have something to replace it with.
Nuzlocke info
pastebin.com/8b3rHGuX
>Nuzlocke generator
nuzlocke-generator.herokuapp.com/
nuzlocke-generator.com/
>Guide to running the generator locally
pastebin.com/etNFB00r
>Links to official games (thru Sw/Sh)
pastebin.com/hsJ0TaJ7
>Romhack links
pastebin.com/GzWfs9Bz
pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Definitive emulator info (note that OpenEmu is the best option for Macfags period as RBY through B2W2 may all be played on it and all run smoothly)
pastebin.com/HmVC99sZ
>Difficulty list
pastebin.com/vvwTEgwJ
>Pokémon Nuzlocke images
mediafire.com/file/sxu318m9an5ulbm/
>Pokémon Bank sprites
mediafire.com/file/ueadxvt1f52m0md/
>Pokémon Home Sprites
projectpokemon.org/docs/spriteindex_148/home-sprites-gen-1-r128/
>Additional templates
mediafire.com/file/vmfck3jdowgn472
>(UPDATED)user's Level Caps Doc
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZOwQ2MnzKF-fJuSGEkTUIenGbPoZymS6jYrY6zIbzkk/edit#gid=1752410600

Previous Thread:

Attached: 1382851051810.png (1280x720, 1.45M)

>Who was your run-saver that came in clutch and stopped you from failing a run, and what's the story behind them
Red completely assblasted me with Blastoise and Lapras being the two last obstacles. And my shiny Ursaring I caught while Grinding for Red came clutch and beat both their asses being the only survivor of the run

New thread new update.
Nothing much to report other than i'm going for the Elite 4 finally. I've also given Cobain Perish Song if it comes to the point i can afford to switch stall, and Flynal now has Ice Fang so i have another answer for Garchomp in case Bruno falls. Wish me luck.

Attached: The journey so far 17.png (1200x1315, 456.52K)

Just defeated the last gym, it went really well, sadly I lost my Salamence.
Victory road is hard as fuck. Im gonna level up a little bit, and then continue and destroy the elite 4.
Im also not sure about that Whiscash, I probably have something better, but I like it.
good luck buddyboyo

Attached: voltwhite.png (632x467, 96.35K)

Well shit and damn, that kind of WAS a Goldenrod Radio Tower Massacre...!!

Progress: Pryce and his icy fellows were beaten by a combination of Magnor's electric fury, Mr. Bibby's surfing, and Buckley's being prepped with a Flamethrower (thank you emulation for letting me cheat my way through Voltorb Flip!)

Petrel being an asshole and selfdestructing half of his Koffings, I was lucky that either Ducky tanked it (as she had done before), LA Blue Girl used Barriers, or Flutters used Fly to dodge it. Shitbag rival edgy bitch-boi caught me by surprise in the Underground--as I had switched some of my team up to level the others--and miraculously, no one died against him.

Sadly, Proton's Golbat ate Joey up, and he was the only one who got a kill there--not even Archer's Lv. 38 Houndoom killed me--though he DID put a couple of my guys in the red!

And sadly, as I start to explore Route 44, a random trainer killed Derek, absolutely depriving me of a Grass-type.

Onward to Blackthorn City, then.

Attached: heartgoldnuzlocke07.png (1460x971, 636.46K)

...download image, my ass--next time, I'm cropping the image myself...

I have a cheat that gives me 10x the experience after battle if I need to use it.

>Aaron
Swept by Klar
>Bertha
Swept by Bruno
>Flint
Swept by Flynal
>Lucian
Cobain is outspeed by Mr . Mime, who sets up Reflect and crits Cobain with Psychic, who survives in red HP and finishes Mr. Mime. Gallade comes in, Reflect wears off and Flynal finishes it with full power Earthquake. Zyrdon comes in to tank while i heal, switching Bruno in for the finish. Flynal returns to beat Alakazam, surviving Psychic. Lucian is naturally a dick and saves a Full Restores for after i whittled Bronzong down with Night Slash, Bruno returns with his Special Defense and crits a Surf.
>Cynthia
Zyrdon begins with Stealth Rock for the rest of the match and wastes a Full Restore while Spiritomb bullshits Shadow Ball's Special Defense lowering ability, Bruno comes in and finishes with Surf. Against my better judgement i leave him out against Roserade for Ice Beam, leaving it on 1 HP, it fires Energy Ball on an already weakened Bruno and he lives on 1 HP as well, outspeeding for the kill. Togekiss and Missy come in to trade blows, Missy scores paralysis and moves in for the kill, only for Cynthia to switch in Garchomp. Flynal comes in and avoids Earthquake, gets off Ice Fang, Cynthia switches again into Milotic. Missy returns to tank while i heal. Missy does great with a heal and i switch into Bruno. Now it's a battle of who's Milotic is superior. Bruno wins. Cynthia brings out Garchomp again, i'm not willing to risk getting outsped, Flynal comes in to tank a hit, Garchomp's Dragon Rush misses. Garchomp outspeeds and uses Giga Impact, only dealing a measly 40 damage, Flynal secures the Ice Fang. A single Earthquake finishes Lucario off.

Attached: The journey so far 18 - Champions.png (1200x1315, 456.49K)

The four admin rematches weren't too bad. My only death was Ledian against Ein, but Ledian managed to get screens up before he died which made the rest of the battle easier.
The first four of the six battles at the end were complete jokes. Nascour was annoying but not too difficult to beat. Evice was surprisingly easy. I had both Pokemon protect on turn one and his Machamp and Slaking hit each other hard with EQs. With those two free kills and using the master ball on his Tyranitar it almost felt like he only had three Pokemon.
I had a lot of fun with this game despite the horrible level curve and all the grinding. I'm looking forward to playing XD, but next up is Fire Red.

Congrats!

Attached: Colosseum Nuzlocke Final.png (1170x1158, 291.25K)

And while I'm taking a little breather from my Heart Gold run, I've reached that most bothersome of side-diversions in FR/LG that has separated Cindar, Noif, Soelvie, Ouhmnia, Aiimskamba, and Oukskeks from the rest of the Zodiac Generals and their reserves: Bill needing us to do a favor...!

Progress: The Pokemon mansion has now been explored, and Sabrina and Blaine have been vanquished--though not without great pains and a loss...!

Sabrina's ghost trainers were anuses because I had to play around their Gastlys having Destiny Bond (who knew a move from Base Set Pokemon TCG would come back to bite me repeatedly...), and her Alakazam nearly made my heart stop, had I not seeded the Alakazam and got a lucky Giga Drain crit before her repeated Calm Minds nearly destroyed me.

Blaine, meanwhile, took the joint efforts of Cindar tanking Fire Blasts until it ran out, Soelvie dropping an intimidate and a cheap shot with Dig, and the noble sacrifice of Alzphalzv falling to a powerful Bite, to defeat the Arcanine.

Now, adrift in some Sevii Island nonsense that made me wish the Holon region was an actual in-game region, one can only wonder...

...Would you be soft-locked if you went to One Island without a Pokemon on hand that can Surf?

Attached: returnoffirerednuzlocke07.png (1411x762, 317.86K)

Congrats! Yeah the level curve in XD is way better than Colosseum, overall it's a way more complete game in general.
I'd recommend not counting Mt. Battle grinding to count toward deaths because there's some traps and surprises in there that would be just unfair.

The story on sevii islands you don't actually need to surf at all.
>Go to I1 and get the objective
>Go to I2 talk to jump game guy about Lostelle
>Go to I3, beat up bikers and go into the woods and rescue Lostelle
>Warped to I2
>Go to I1 and take the meteorite to Bill
Warped back to Cinnabar

Gonna try a Renegade Platinum Nuzlocke, should I be expecting to need to follow any specific "strategies"? I saw some streamer talking about needing a specific Gliscor ability or potentially restarting his run.

Is it just me or does Whitney never use Rollout in HGSS?

>What are you runing?
Blind Ultrasun.
>>How are you running it?
Emulator
>>How's your run going?
I'm having fun with the game. A lot of fun actually. Petting pokemon is great. Having Primarina doing a Genki Dama is amazing. Formantis/Lurantis are super cute and strong and my new favorite pokemon in the run. I actually never tried to play the games after gen.5 because of the starters (still hate the furriie cat) but I may play xy and swsh next.
>>Are you doing a weird ruleset? And if so, what is it?
I play Nuzzlockes as if I was Silver. The pokemon don't die in battle if they faint. They are boxed because they are weak and a disappointment. This helps make sense in the story why people play like they do and make my actions make sense for me in relation to challenge.
Since base nuzzlock rules made the game still too easy I added:
No items in battle, set battle style, outside of gifts and egg pokemon you can only have 6 pokemon at a time (no catching pokemon after your fill your team), no dupes (if you catch a poke once you can never catch one of the same specie again in the game), no legendary pokemon.

>Last run I caught fuck all at safari zone
>Now I catch everything including a motherfucking Kangaskhan.
>Only Magmar runs away
I also noticed I didn't catch anything at the burned tower. So it's a catching episode today.

Sidenote: Coil hasn't evolved yet, but when I'm done with the Red Gyarados I'll trade him over to my plat cartridge and level him up one level. Lorewise I just pretend that the lake of rage caused it.
I just noticed that during the last two encounters too. Just Stomps and drinks. Which is kind of annoying desu.
Really like your team, user! F for all your fallen soldiers.
BASEDBASEDBASED
Congrats man! You deserved it! Amazing team synergy and the like. What will you remember most of your run?
F for your fallen friends, man. Team Rocket can surprise you, since their teams are usually walled by a single mon.
Yeah I'm surprised at Quilava's lack of real staying power. I always choose Totodile for Johto, so I thought only Chiko was garbage, but Quilava isn't really proving himself.

Attached: Sensitive Soul Silver.png (1458x834, 677.94K)

What ruleset are you using? No items in battle, set, level cap to next gym?
You don't need a Gliscor or any specific strategy to win, but the game is just very difficult. Note that Substitute + setup messes with the AI very hard though so it's up to you whether you want to use it or not

Recommended rules for a Colosseum run?

Attached: 004020.png (1261x1006, 1.78M)

There's two different routes people go, the first is that you take a list of every shadow mon in a given area and roll a die on which one you're allowed to get, second is you just are allowed to catch any shadow mon
I think the first is more fun and more true to the spirit of a nuzlocke but the second is accommodating, Colosseum is a rough game. Depends what you value more

That first bit sounds fun and would have a huge payoff. I'm also doing this blind after not touching this game for a decade, but also coming fresh off of XD... I think for immersion's sake I'd dice roll, takes me back to the DND days. Thank you so much!

Attached: 005642.png (1208x906, 617.1K)

I played with whatever I caught, Colosseum and XD can easily become incompletable if you run into a rough spot with rules that are too stringent. It's no fun to lose a run because you can only field 3 pokemon against teams of 5 or 6 due to too few encounters.
I'd say
>Use what you can catch the first time around
>Check Cipher admin levels for level ranges
>Limit item use to 1 per two opponent pokemon
>Don't count fainting in Mt. Battle training unless you're fine with grinding level 10~20 pokemon for hours upon hours
The last one is more about retaining fun and more importantly, sanity. It's a 20+ hour game with that rule, 30+ hour game without it... I'm talking double digit EXP per pokemon, it's actually painful.