Pick a shitty gym leader, fix the gym

Pick a shitty gym leader, fix the gym.
>Easy mode: Replace the gym leader with a better fit for the slot in the league, cannot be a type that another gym leader or E4 member from that region uses
>Hard mode: fix an existing gym while sticking to the theme and limitations that leader originally had
If you hate gamefreak, show that you can do it better. I'll start next post.

Attached: gymtier.png (1140x1468, 1.15M)

Idk but but past 4 gym badges, every gym shold have 5 pokemon.

There's more flying types in Johto than there is in Kanto, so why the FUCK does Falkner use only gen 1 mons? Swapping out the pidgey/otto, they don't fit. The dark vibe of this city fits much better for Hooty and Murky, and tied his gym into the Farfetch'd event that happens just a shirt walk away from his gym to tie him to the region around him.
Also, he gives a Mud Slap TM, why? For what purpose? I know there aren't really flying type TMs to choose form, but Mud Slap is so nonsensical. Let him give out Thief instead, held items are a new thing and having the first gym be a tutorial for that mechanic showing it's importance by letting him use Thief with a dark type is much much better. It brings the player into the region in an interesting way and makes the fight something you have to actually play around.
Also bumped his level up to ~15 and gave him one more mon, he's way way too easy otherwise.

Attached: falkner.png (746x567, 102.56K)

Surge's Magnemite/tons never sat right with me, they don't really fit his theme, and his gym puzzle fucking sucks.
Voltorbs fit better into his post-military theme, and the Electabuzz really nails the wild and loud fighter personality he has. Giving him the two Voltorbs at the top let him either set up on you or take out your electric counter with Selfdestructs. Electabuzz gets Counter to deal with bringing Rock/Ground types against him, it's not a counter to Diglett, but I don't think gyms should counter EVERYTHING, they should have a way to win. His Raichu is fine and great, the only fix is changing the way that gen 1 gyms that use stone evolved mons have shit moves, only using the moves on that form which is basically none.
I'd also change his gym puzzle to find Voltorbs in the trash cans that don't have a switch in them, Surge is all about speed so they're a speed check. You have to outspeed them and take them out quickly or get blown up and weakened for the gym battle.
And as usual, more mons than usual because I like it that way.

Attached: surge.png (991x549, 111.05K)

Surge has a Voltorb or Electrode in every game except Yellow (where he has only a Raichu because of the anime)

Yeah I didn't say he didn't, I only meant to say it fits better than the Magnemite does. I mostly brought it up to set up a reasoning for my change to his puzzle.

put all swsh and sm gyms in d

Make your own tier list.

Striation city gym has a good idea, but everyone hates the monkeys. Everyone. They hate that you have to fight them, and that the game pushes you to use them in the fight instead of your real team. So, I want to rework the idea that no matter who you pick as your starter, you'll have a bad matchup against them.
So, for start, they're using Dragon mons. I know they're pseudos, I don't care, they have less BST than the starters do in these early stages so it's fine. The important thing is dragon resists all starter types. But, they don't have a SE attack like the canon gym does, so let's give them each Hidden Power with a starter element. One of them will counter your starter, guaranteed. They now give a Hidden Power TM instead of Work Up, I know Work Up is very good for in-game and I used it a lot, but it fits the theme better of doing anything you can to overcome type advantage and find coverage. In another little bit of a nod to this gym being a starter counter, Axew will have higher attack against the gender that your starter is most likely to be.

Attached: striation.png (735x626, 91.74K)

> Dragon rage
> Forst gym

Great game design

Ah, you're right, I forgot what it did. For some reason I remembered it as "always deals damage equal to the user's level". It's a terrible idea to have Dragon Rage on the first gym. Replace that with Dragon Breath, which is technically too early for it, but who cares, the games do that all the time.

Oy vey… very kantophobic

I don't mind Kanto mons when they actually fit. Farfetch'd is a Kanto mon, and his ace, but it's actually thematic and fitting for him. I think I'd rather give that Farfetch'd Cut instead of Fury Attack since the Farfetch'd event nearby has to do with it, but a STAB 50 power move that early might be a bit much.

Here's my idea for Janine.

I removed Venomoth because she already has a bug, and it gives her less overlap with her father’s team in the Johto games. Also got rid of repeating pokemon.

Gengar is here because it fits the ninja theme well, I feel. Its not really used much by poison trainers in the mainline games, and although two other major trainers already use it in Janine’s games (Morty and Karen) I still like it here for its ‘trickster’ attitude. Ghost typing goes well with a ninja who has invisible walls in her gym.

Victreebel is for ground coverage, probably not the best moveset possible on this thing but sleep powder goes well with the whole status affliction and tricky moves Janine and Koga have going on. I also feel it fits her well, although I can’t really explain why to be honest.

Apart from the new additions I just tried to give her a better moveset. Moveset has HGSS more in mind than GSC. I think the overall difficulty is fair considering she can only ever be fought in the postgame.

For a rematch team I’d replace Victreebel with Roserade and give her a Drapion too.

Attached: Janineteam.png (602x290, 65.24K)

>Brock outranks Roark somehow
>the shittiest gym leader ever Ramos reaches A
>Volkner and Clair in C
>Bugsy and Morty in D when they have very strong aces
>Fantina that low
>Blaine the jobber in S
>Brawly that high
Terrible list

Probably my last one for awhile, Tate and Liza suck ass but fixing them was too much effort. I just wanted to lean way more heavily into the doubles theme. I went with pokemon that were more or less parallels to each other for that.
First of Lunatone and Solrock, this is weird because Solrock is much more physical attack leaning, and this is a gen before special/physical moves. Solrock can easily use rock moves, and Lunatone can easily use psychic moves. I did give Solrock one special move in Solar Beam, but it's not so bad when buffed by Sunny Day, which also sets up the next mon.
Slowbro and Slowking are a great match, one buffs a ton, and the other copies those buffs with Psych Up. Slowking can also benefit form the Sunny Day before it expires while waiting for Slowbro to buff up by using Flamethrower. The nice benefit there is that fire covers a weakness in bug.
Lastly, Medicham threatens a ton of damage quickly and demands that you focus on it, while Xatu sets up heavy attacks that will fall if you ignore it to focus down Medicham.

Attached: tateandliza.png (1723x664, 234.35K)

I know right, imagine having an opinion. Make your own list.
I like Victreebel here, more than Roserade. It's literally a trap plant, if you want to lean into the trickster theme like you were saying with Gengar then it's a great choice. I also like Ariados for that, seeing as a spun web is literally a trap as well. And with Weezing being a mine, the only thing that doesn't really fit here is Crobat. That being said, it having U-Turn is a nice touch, it presents it as an annoying taunting menace that leads you into the traps. Coulda used a 6th mon for a post-E4 Kanto though.

How? Sure it has farfetch'd, but the other two are kanto

>hoothoot
>Kanto

Attached: 1652732816946.gif (403x559, 137.78K)

Play the actual game retard. Hoothoot is found all over Kanto. Murkrow is found in Kanto and not Johto. Farfetch'd is found in Johto and not Kanto.

stop pretending to be retarded.

>Chuck
>Meets the Standard
I know you can say click super effective button for pretty much every gym but its way more apparent with him. Primape and Poliwrath suck.

I digress, I chose Wulfric because being the 8th Gym Leader and not having a good team is beyond inexcusable at least Juan has 5 Pokemon and the gimmicky Luvdisc attract plan going for him.

Firstly Lapras is for easily setting up Hail and dealing with people who think they can just Flamethrower their way to victory

Second is Beartic only because its a big beefy ice type with good attack shame it doesn't have slush rush in gen 6 but what can you do

Mamoswine not only matches Wulfric's aesthetic but is also there to counter both fire types and steal types

Avalugg is just there for traditions sake and while you could give him a Weavile or Jynx it just doesn't fit him all too well, I did what I could for him but until Ice gets a significant buff its all you got.

Mega Abomasnow should've been there day one not only is it the one he uses for the anime its the only ice type that can mega evolve and by this point in the story you're well aware of Megas and fought at least two.

Attached: Wulfric2 .png (1400x462, 274.66K)

NEVER design a Pokemon game.