Which one do you like more/hate less?

Which one do you like more/hate less?

Attached: 462726F3-890A-4CCB-B97A-E6269B94FD1B.jpg (1069x900, 553K)

Hau because his design and theme are cooler

They're both insufferable fuckheads. Hate them equally.

I have no strong feelings on either. They're neither the worst rival, which was Gen 6's in my opinion (it was just depressing crushing her hopes and dreams so badly, then giving her a pity Key Ring at the end).

Hau is a great rival. Hop is not. They really aren't as similar as people want to believe, just the relation to a strong trainer makes it look like they are without any other knowledge of the games.

I like hau's team more

Hau has more character which is already a low bar and he doesnt challenge me to a battle every 15 minutes

>They're neither the worst rival, which was Gen 6's in my opinion (it was just depressing crushing her hopes and dreams so badly, then giving her a pity Key Ring at the end).

That was based though, the only problem (much like nearly all the problems with XY) is they didn’t expand on this concept more.

Hop since he got actual character development.

The Hau I hate most is Nemona

Hau is a friend Hop is a crying pussy that loses again and again gets depressed and wants to kill himself.

Hau doesn't care about being the best in the world, he's chill as his region.

>And if you want a tryhard rival you have our boy Gladion.

No he doesn’t. I’m far from a Hop fan, but he has an actual character arc, while Hau never shows any emotion beyond being excited all the time.

That's good though, i'd be chill too if i were in the pokemon world.

Hau is one of the best rivals in the series when it comes to actual battles, but one of the worst as far as being a character.

Shrugging off loses like they’re nothing the way he does, especially considering how much he loses, is just stupid when you’re talking about a rival. That’s how generic NPC trainers act after they lose which is why they’re generic NPCs instead of competing to become a champion.

Hau never wanted to be the champ

But he’s still one of the most elite trainers in the entire game. He shouldn’t be able to reach that level with how carefree he is.

Having recently played gens 7/8, Hop is slightly more pleasant to be around

Hau, no contest.
On his own, Hop isn't too bad of a rival, but his resemblance to Hau is what drags him down; I replayed Ultra Sun/Moon recently and for the life of me I can't remember a single time Hau was useful. In fact he was the opposite; he was literally the main reason everything goes to shit.

>you go off to do the ghost trial in the abandoned market that's literally 60 second walk away from the safe house
>while you're gone, Hau gets beaten by two disenfranchised teens (not even worth calling them grunts, they're not even serious criminals) who then steal a kid's Yungoos
>you have to travel all the way to Po Town to deal with his fuckup
>while you're doing that, for some fucking reason we leave Hau in charge of watching Lillie and her extremely precious Cosmog, the same Hau who just got beaten by two petty criminals who never use anything stronger than raticates and drowzee
>surprise fucking surprise, while you're in Po Town, Hau gets walked over again and this time it's 100x worse because Lillie is kidnapped and now Cosmog is on its way to Lusamine
>once you head to the dock to head for Aether Paradise, you have to wait for fucking Hau to catch up and come with you
>you are forced to wait for him, you have no option to say you want to leave without him because he's fucking late and has proven multiple times that he's out of his depth right now
>Hau proceeds to do nothing important during the entire Aether Paradise seige
>because you're forced to wait for him, Lusamine had enough time to box up Cosmog and harness its abilities, letting her tear open the wormhole, which ends with her leading Necrozma back to Alola, stealing the light, and paving the way for the Ultra Beasts to invade

>>>Hau nearly gets the entire world (and possibly countless other worlds) destroyed through sheer incompetence and you as the player are complicit becuase you are forced to pander to him instead of hurting his feelings and telling him he's not ready for any of this

Attached: buzzwold the fuck up.png (1100x1142, 470.97K)

>while Hau never shows any emotion beyond being excited all the time.
I swear people who shit on Hau make it clear they never actually pay attention to the story. This is part of his goddamn arc. At the start of the game he is just a directionless kid who loves battling. There is no E4, no league, no champion. None of this appears until like 3/4ths into the game. Just an island tradition that Hau is excited to take part in. He loves battling you out of pure love of fighting and he makes this very clear. Battles are fun. He wants to talk strats after fights. It's in his dialogue. But then the plot kicks in and Hau talks about how wrong this mindset is. Just having fun, being excited, never treating anything seriously meant he never got stronger and he couldn't protect Lillie or his home. He begins to take things more seriously. He realizes the purpose behind the pilgrimage and grows from it. These are all slammed over the players head with a sack of bricks and no subtlety but still Hau is goofy never changing pancake boy.

Also Hai has a lot of little moments where he breaks his happy go lucky personality and shows he hides frustration. And he has this wonderful subtle moment where early on he talks about being afraid of Tauros but then goes and catches one. It's never brought up from what I remember he just does it.

Hau is a good character. All of the SM characters are and literally every complaint I see about them is addressed in Sun and Moon's story at some point.

None of this is unique to Hau. Most nice rivals have these moments where you clean up their mess and then they mope about it afterwards and give lip service about taking things more seriously. Which Hau does too. Hop also has this moment. It's part of the series general formula. Even many of the rude rivals have these moments. Hell it's what leads to Silver's change of heart.

I feel like where XY really fails is Trevor and Tierno. Early on Trevor has some nice little moments where you're pushed to compare the dex on certain routes. It would have been nice to flesh that out. I like the idea of a rival who isn't battle centric.

Tierno is almost certainly a left over from a period where contests or musicals were part of the game. I refuse to believe he wasn't. Which is again a nice concept. I would have enjoyed a mode like that having a character I'm encouraged to beat. XY was such wasted potential. It hurts.