Johto / Gen 2 appreciation thread

>what are ya playin'
>what Johto things are you enjoying
>HG/SS or GSC?
>favorite Johto mon?
>favorite thing about generation 2?

Continuing this thread to see how this user’s team is doing

Attached: 60C93277-14D5-40E7-A59A-86520CCDE2F2.png (484x290, 18.72K)

>what are ya playin'
On hiatus from my soul silver shiny badge quest but I'll bump your thread with some old teams
>HG/SS or GSC?
Heart Gold > Crystal > Soul Silver > Gold > Silver
>favorite Johto mon(s)?
Crobat, Kingdra, Sentret, Totodile, Togepi
Gold was the first pokemon game I owned, but I'd played my friend's and my cousin's Yellow when I was younger. I enjoyed trying to fill out the pokedex and battling my overleveled Feraligatr+Ho-oh vs his overleveled Meganium+Lugia.

Attached: Washington & Friends lo.png (1876x1756, 3.77M)

started a polishedcrystal nuzlocke last night

>soul silver shiny badge quest
How many layers of autism do you need to be on to start this, let alone finish it?

Attached: silver bugs HoF.png (5517x3296, 3.15M)

I appriciate your balltism, user.

I'd use heal balls for some of the pink mons, full color balls are better in my opinion.

Yaassss bitch you better motherfucking stan Venomoth, fellow bugsister!

Attached: bussy.gif (250x181, 496.53K)

Oh wow, wasn't expecting to see another Johto thread so soon, especially with my team there! Well it's going good so far, just been grinding in Mt. Silver. I was considering getting the team to lv. 77 to match Red's starters but I'm just gonna shoot for lv. 75.

Attached: blarggthemagcargo.png (160x144, 2.96K)

That's absolutely mental user, I can't imagine doing a vanilla shiny quest, big congrats on those teams.
Ultra based, I've been considering doing a mono-bug run in gen 2 for a while now because there's so many fun pokemon like Scizor and Shuckle. Plus my recent playthrough had made me appreciate Ledian's utility so much.

Attached: five-startheledian.png (160x144, 2.6K)

>what are ya playin'

Playing Gold alongside gf playing Crystal

>what Johto things are you enjoying

Rolling through the game with my bros

Planning an early capture of Entei right after Ecruteak (Gonna friend ball a Zubat and grind Crobat till it can outspeed at lv 30 or so)

>HG/SS or GSC?

GSC all the way

>favorite Johto mon?

Heracross

Really good selection of mons for maingame, the punch tms, early roaming legendaries, semi open progression after ekruteak

Please elaborate. I've always wanted to use Ledian, but never felt like it's stats/moves would be useful in gen 2. Where there specific fights you recall it putting in a lot of work?

Ledian is only useful in gen 2 because you get the elemental punch TMs early on which gives you great coverage, and its dual screens really helps its low defense and makes it a special wall. Mine was able to survive a Rock Slide and tank Selfdestructs with its Reflect.
It completely walls Chuck, can do work against Pryce if you set up Light Screen, can help against Clair, and can almost always switch into a Grass type with its x4 resistance.
I've been doing a limited dex challenge run tho so I had to make use of it, Ledian still isn't a great pokemon but in gen 2 it can pull its weight.

Currently have a regular playthrough in Crystal and a mono-normal in Gold. Not sure how the latter will go as a few of them greatly outclass the majority of them (especially when my team is just Noctowl, Raticate, and Togetic).

Sounds fun. I like using shitmons in game because the strategy for battles goes a little further beyond "click Super Effective move 6 times". During my last playthrough of Crystal, I used Arbok that won me several fights using Wrap and Paraflinching with Bite/Headbutt+Glare

Nice, I had an Arbok in my team too, its moveset was Earthquake / Sludge Bomb / Bite / Glare and it helped a ton throughout the game ever since I trained it to beat Morty. It died during the Lance fight, but it did its job very well.

Currently fucking around in my 400 hour savefile in Crystal, training a number of Pokémon couples for particular uses of the Celebi glitch, but for different Pokémon.

Finally finished grinding, that user's advice in the previous thread about grinding in the S.S. Aqua helped out. I'm surprised I didn't find a shiny while grinding in Mt. Silver
So this is the final team before Red, only 3 of my League team survived, I'm pretty excited to see how it goes. I feel relatively confident about it, the only scary pokemon in his team is either the Snorlax which I will use Gligar against and Blastoise since I don't have a perfect switch in to. Most likely someone will die to get a safe switch into Pikachu.

Attached: pokemoncrystaldexcutchallengefinalteam.png (484x290, 18.7K)

nothing right now

honestly hgss == gs. they both provide solid experiences imo which is more than I can say about RBY and its remakes

steelix

the region, and its soul but in all honestly soul is just a proxy for nostalgia

Glad my Pikachu survived all the way here so I can have the most epic Pikachu on Pikachu battle.

Attached: pikaonpikaviolence.png (160x144, 2.44K)

And Red is defeated, still a pretty tense fight but not as much as Lance's fight, probably because I had decent coverage against Red's team compared to only having a weak Ice type and a bug with Ice coverage against Lance's dragons.
Anyways here's what happened:

>I lead with Pikachu and take care of his with a few Returns. I decided to lead with it and not Gligar so I can bait in his Espeon and not Blastoise, which he does just that.
>I switch to Murkrow, it perfectly counters it since it can only be hit with Swift, and two Faint Attacks take it out. But now the inevitable happens, Red brings in Blastoise.
>I have no safe switch into it at all, and after looking at my team, I decided to sacrifice the good bird to bring in Pikachu, but not after hitting a crit Icy Wind for good measure. Pikachu easily takes it out.
>Next was his Snorlax, so I brought in my Snorlax killer, Gligar. After setting up a couple Curses and fully lowering its defense with Screech, I one-shotted it with Return, perfect.
>His last two were Charizard and Venusaur, so Magcargo can easily come in, tank some Flamethrowers, and take them both out easily.

Attached: reddefeated.png (160x144, 2.71K)

>Ledian
Why would you torture yourself like that?

Because I was doing a limited dex challenge, and it ended up being very useful throughout the game. Plus, Ledian is a pretty cool bug.

He's basically Pulseman but in pokemon form

why is ledian bad?
typing?
stats?
movepool?
abilities?
location?

Redpill me on Evilfish.

Attached: 211.jpg (220x220, 15.17K)

All of that but also evolving too late.